The Gillette New And Aristocrat Are Battling It Out For My Love

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by william beer, Feb 9, 2018.

1. william beer

william beer Well-Known Member

Let's just say I'm of an age to be identified as a vintage guy. My first shaving tools were a new Gillette Slim and Ever-Ready 750 Brush, an Old Spice shave mug and soap. I started using cartridge razors almost 40 years ago (I think - my memory is a little foggy on that point). I got back into DE wet shaving more than three weeks ago. Did some internet research on the various shave sites. Went to the junk shops and got a cracking' good deal on a 1934-35 Gillette New (Red & Black Edition) and a 1946-47 Aristocrat. Cleaned/sanitized them and now I've just about got the technique down for a no irritation bloodless BBS shave (with the aid from Noxema as a preshave and Nivea Sensitive after shave. Still ever so slightly prickly with the alum stone. Also, I'm using Astra SP blades and B&M soap. Love that Seville. Oh, and I restored my original brush (wish I could find my old slim).

The Gillette New started out of the gate very fast but I got some irritation and weepers (styptic ="ouch that stings") I'm now shaving with it almost irritation free and only one itsy bitsy weeper now and again. The Aristocrat gives me as good a result as the New and no irritation or blood of any kind. With both tools it seems that, with a new blade, I stand a better chance of blood and irritation (stand to reason). The Aristocrat wins on comfort overall. However, for some strange reason I keep getting drawn back to the New. Old age schizophrenia or a lust for self sacrifice? The journey continues.

jeraldgordon, brit, mvd and 2 others like this.
  2. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Short comb or long? I have both and the short rules. The Aristocrat also a very nice razor but for me the SC gets the nod

Rev579 likes this.
  3. william beer

I have an LC. I'm no expert but my impression is that the SC is a bit more aggressive. What's your take?

4. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

6 of 1 or half-dozen of another. I can't really tell any difference between my SC and my LC.

5. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I have a New LC and it has given me no reason to try a New SC. Wonderful shave. I also have an Aristocrat (#21) and I think the New gives a slightly more comfortable shave, in that it scores highly on "ease of shaving"

6. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing the start of your new journey. Enjoy!

7. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

For me I fine the SC smoother than the (my) LC. Don't get me wrong the LC gives me a great shave I just think that my SC is a tad milder/smoother. As always in this crazy business - YMMV.

Rev579 likes this.
  8. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

@william beer , you’ve got a couple of excellent tools there. Both are great shavers and I’m happy using either one. I have not tried the New short comb, but find the long comb to about equal in aggressiveness to the 47 Aristocrat.

9. william beer

Yeah Jim, I'm finding the same as you. However, with a new blade in them (using Astra SP), the Aristocrat is just a little bit more forgiving and a little less irritating to me. Just in the very sensitive areas around my neck and around my mouth. Once I get a couple of shaves on the blades then I experience no irritation or weepers but I still have to pay more attention to technique with the New LC but if I do it gives me a great shave.

brit and Jim99 like this.
  10. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I've used both, and I prefer the Aristocrat for daily shaving. The OLD style is very good at getting under the nose and mowing down longer beard hairs (like a week+ worth), but the Aristocrat is a bit more comfortable.

11. brit

brit in a box

i have a new short comb and a new deluxe criterion.they are a tad aggressive for me but shave very well.i don t use them often enough ,but they look awesome.what a vintage razor should look like.however i have 4 aristocrats--british # 16 and 22 ,and u.s. 46-7 and 48-50 types.plus aristocrat jr etc..
    i just received my 46-7 today and shaved with it today.awesome!!! i love the 48-50 version but don t know if it feels the same as the 46-7 version, more trials i guess. the brit aristocrats are heavier. overall i love all my vintage gillettes but the aristocrats are my favorites/ just which one? good luck finding yours gary. i also use astra sp

Jim99 likes this.
  12. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

I have tried and enjoyed the TTO's, ranging from a 1937 Sheraton to a 1955 Diplomat, not to mention the 195 or Slim. Starting with the Fat Boy(195), I moved down each time. '55 Diplomat, 48-51 Aristocrat, 47 Aristocrat, 46-47 Aristocrat, '37 Sheraton, then back up to the Slim. Somewhere in between all of this I tried a New Improved that came with a Tuckaway I bought and liked it, but still liked the TTO's better. The 48-51 "crat was my favorite, with the 195, 46-47 and Diplomat grabbing my attention for one reason or another. Then, on a whim I tried a Short Comb.
    The NEW Short Comb was the Game Changer. I liked it so much I wanted to try and settle on a 17mm Deluxe, but liked my SC more. I even gave the Long Comb a spin. I was able to get a better shave with my SC. I still need to roll out my 102 and 102A as my technique has finally improved, but I seriously doubt that it is better than the Short Comb.

Gillette NEW Short Comb Rules!
    [​IMG]

preidy, Jim99 and brit like this.
  13. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I will agree, The SC for the win!

14. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

You know, if you want a short comb - there are two TTO's with them. My Senator is very nice.

Linuxguile likes this.
  15. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Just like your children, love them both. Ride the cap and you may love them more.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Linuxguile likes this.
  16. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Both are excellent shavers. Enjoy!

Linuxguile likes this.
  17. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I have a Sheraton, I find it quite mild by comparison.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

18. william beer

Well, it's been a couple of weeks since I have been comparing the vintage Aristocrat (1947) with the Gillette New (1934 - Red and Black Special). Shaving with Astra SP blades and using Stirling Baker Street or Executive Man soaps. 3 pass BBS shave this morning with the Aristocrat (new blade). No nicks or weepers. Same thing the day before with the Gillette New and 3 shaves on the blade. What can I say? I feel like the guy in the TV show "The Bachelor" :). I love them both! My technique is ....let us say slightly more careful with the New. Especially with a new Astra in it. I have more of a chance to get a weeper with the New but it's a more efficient razor by only a tic. Comments from the Den? I'm in the market for a high end razor that is comparable to the ones I now own - any recommendations out there? Was thinking Timeless Bronze SB, Razorock Game Changer, or ATT Windsor.

Jorvaljr and Linuxguile like this.
  19. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

I am biased, but feel like you are using 2 razors that really are the peak performers of DE shaving. The earliest Ranger Tech and/or Regent Tech "might" offer a different or better shave, but I cannot say I could tell much of a difference, if any difference at all with my 1940 Milady or 1941 RT from the 1946-47 Aristocrat I have. And as far as 3-piece razors go, where do you go from the NEW, if you like it? Find the ideal handle and refinish it in a premium manner? Maybe try a slant? Run down the list of SE razors? I'm not convinced there is another that is really comparable or 'better" than those you own, just different presentation.

20. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

This movie is freakin awesome !!!

Rev579 likes this.