The Gillette President discussion thread

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Sep 9, 2015.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    [​IMG]
    The Gillette President

Gillette's flagship razor 1953-1955

It is the only U.S. made razor to feature Rhodium plating (except one other razor, the 1949-1950 Gillette Executive). Unlike the 1949-1950 Executive, it is not fully Rhodium plated. The head of the razor has a very heavy nickel plate, and also features a nicer polish job than most other Gillette razors. The handle is fully knurled, except in a few cases where the band above the TTO knob is smooth. Those rare razors are thought to have been made with left over Aristocrat handles.

The President and the Diplomat are identical razors, aside from the fact that the Diplomat is gold plated.

The 1953 version of the President is considered the most aggressive of the Presidents, and has been compared to a red tip in terms of aggressiveness. Gillette was constantly tweaking the blade angles on razors during the early fifties, so you don't know exactly what you are going to get until the razor meets the face.

Some people believe the the "President" was named in homage to President Eisenhower, who took office in 1953. I personally believe that it is just a case of Gillette following the razor naming conventions of that era in Gillette history, as it's contemporaries were the Super Speed, Aristocrat, and Diplomat.

(Edited to add information from page two of this thread): "These names were arbitrarily picked to conjure up images of high quality/value. The packaging Gillette used from 1904-1933 was all very elaborate and looked like US currency - again to drive the idea of value. They were very expensive in their day for sure.
    The Gillette President made its debut in the NEW series - 1933." The President model is in the upper left corner of the page:
    [​IMG]

*I don't own a Gillette President. I was asked by one of our members to research and post a thread about this seldom talked about razor. If anyone has more information about the Gillette President, they are more than welcome to post it.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    preidy, SHAVEWIZARD420, DaveL and 9 others like this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I found this beauty for only $36. It is from the first quarter of 1953. Dwight David Eisenhower was elected president of the United States in November of 1952 and entered office in January of 1953. He was a very popular president, and I wouldn't be surprised if "The President" was named in his honor. I use mine for my Sunday shaves. It is a very nice shaver.

DSCF8433.JPG DSCF8434.JPG DSCF8435.JPG DSCF8436.JPG DSCF8437.JPG DSCF8439.JPG DSCF8440.JPG DSCF8441.JPG DSCF8443.JPG DSCF8444.JPG

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  3. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

Beautiful razor, Jim. No wonder it's your Sunday razor.:happy088:

gorgo2, PLANofMAN and GDCarrington like this.
  4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Here is mine!

[​IMG]

Billyfergie, clint64, gorgo2 and 6 others like this.
  5. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Beautiful. The case is pristine, too. Very nice. Do you shave with yours?

6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

On occasions! :D

7. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

Nice, Gary. Looks pristine.

8. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Sweet find!

9. Henrik

Henrik New Member

In my humble opinion- the nicest of the non adjustable razor that the U.S branch ever came to manufacture. A truly stunning shaver.

clint64, PLANofMAN, Dzia Dzia and 3 others like this.
  10. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thank you for an outstanding gathering of President information @PLANofMAN. Great job!!!

brit, clint64, PLANofMAN and 3 others like this.
  11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I've shaved with the same model (Aristocrat? Diplomat?) before, and liked it immensely. If I could afford a President, or could find another gold plated model to have replated in nickel, it might - MIGHT - be my only DE and I'd probably shed the rest (except a nickel plated NEW).

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
    Bill_F, Jayaruh, RaZorBurn123 and 2 others like this.
  12. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I'm starting to reconsider my stance on the Gillette President not being named after Ike. The Gillette New was named the "New" to tie into Roosevelt's "New Deal" plan.

It seems obvious that Gillette liked to play buzzword bingo as much as the next guy.

brit, Bill_F, Jayaruh and 4 others like this.
  13. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thank you for continually adding to the history of Gillette. I find this type of thread excellent.

brit, Bill_F, Jayaruh and 2 others like this.
  14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

They're next offering will be the Gillette Downturn with desensitizing noise generators and inadequate lube strips.

brit, DaveL, 45auto and 6 others like this.
  15. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Great review Sir....:cool:
    All the Presidents men are Dead...That remind me of a song or a Film.....:sick013:

Billy....:chores016:

PLANofMAN, Jayaruh and Douglas Carey like this.
  16. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I'm still waiting for the Gillette Obamacare™ razor, now with government subsidized cartridge refills!

*Mods please don't delete this. I'm trying to be humorous, not political.*

brit, sicemdawgs77, gorgo2 and 10 others like this.
  17. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

The Gillette Obamacare™ razor with false papers.....:happy102:
    Billy....:chores016:

gorgo2, Bill_F, Dzia Dzia and 2 others like this.
  18. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    ^^^
    They'll delete that comment, Billy.
    It'll be pretty hard to Trump that one.
    How about now?

19. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Don't meddle in politics myself. I like the Gillette history on specific razors though. :)

brit, gorgo2, Bill_F and 4 others like this.
  20. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    It must be Sunday for my Sunday Shaver has returned.
    sod150913.JPG

brit, RaZorBurn123, Redfisher and 6 others like this.