The Gillette President discussion thread

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Excellent!

2. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

This was my question to www.Razorarchive.com

"Was the Gillette President named after President Eisenhower? I believe the Gillette New was named the "New" to tie into Roosevelt's "New Deal" plan. Do you sell a book with this type of information?"

Here is there reply.

No, these names were arbitrarily picked to conjure up images of high quality / value. The packaging Gillette used from 1904-1933 was all very elaborate and looked like US currency - again to drive the idea of value. They were very expensive in their day for sure.
    The Gillette President made its debut in the NEW series - 1933. Here's a catalog image of it:
    http://www.razorarchive.com/img/s7/v165/p99562310.jpg
    Most people know it only from the twist to open / butterfly variety in the late 1940's but it was already a name they used before.
    The NEW series was just the follow up to the New Improved series, both of which followed the Old Type razor head. All of these changes reflected blade wars with 3rd party makers and expiring patents, not anything to do with national politics as these razors were sold / marketed internationally. The closest thing to a "social commentary" that Gillette did was the Goodwill, a razor that debuted during the depression and was basically the first time that they gave away the handle for free and the consumer merely bought the blades.
    Hope that helps, thx

On Sun, Sep 13, 2015 at 4:17 AM, Zenfolio <noreply@zenfoliomail.com> wrote:

brit, Bill_F, PLANofMAN and 2 others like this.
  3. GSlim66

GSlim66 Well-Known Member

Love the look of the President. What are the the ways I can tell the difference between this one and other similar razors? Thanks

Dzia Dzia and Douglas Carey like this.
  4. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

The best thing about this razor is the Rhodium plating. It has the best finish of all the Gillette razors that I have, pretty much flawless and the doors still have a mirror like shine after all this time. Definitely a beautiful piece.

5. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

And if you make too much money, they'll charge you double the price for new blades.

"If you like your razor, you can keep it!"

gorgo2, DaveL, 45auto and 4 others like this.
  6. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Is that the original blade pack that came with the Gillette President in 1953?

GDCarrington likes this.
  7. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

No, but it is period piece correct.

[​IMG]

brit, Bill_F, Dzia Dzia and 2 others like this.
  8. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thanks very much @GDCarrington. I don't see the difference between yours and the one in this photo?

Dzia Dzia and GDCarrington like this.
  9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    He's just saying the blade pack he has didn't come with the razor, but it's the same as the pack that would have come with it originally.

I also purchase NOS packs of vintage Gillette blades to add to my cased Gillette razors. A $5 pack of blades can add $25 or more to the resale value of the razor later on. It also lets you put NOS in the listing title, guaranteeing your item will get more views.

brit, Bill_F, Dzia Dzia and 3 others like this.
  10. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thanks for the clarification.

Billyfergie and GDCarrington like this.
  11. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I have a Gillette Aristocrat that looks a lot like the President, except the finish. Do the Aristocrat and President shave the same? Thanks!
    K

Dzia Dzia and Douglas Carey like this.
  12. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I think @Jayaruh has an Aristocrat and a President. He may be able to compare the two.

Dzia Dzia and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  13. Redfisher

I'm surprised to learn the head of the razor is plated in nickel. Just looking at the color and finish it seems brighter than nickel and certainly is the most polished razor I have. .?

brit, gorgo2, Dzia Dzia and 2 others like this.
  14. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

The heads are identical, the length of the handles are identical, the weight is the same, only some very slight differences in knurling. If someone shaved you while you were blindfolded with one on one cheek and the other on the other cheek you would more than likely think they were the same.

MacDaDad, Bill_F, Dzia Dzia and 4 others like this.
  15. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thanks, good to know.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  16. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

The more expensive (in today's resale market) Executive was the only US marketed Gillette Razor that was all Rhodium.

[​IMG]

brit, Bill_F, Douglas Carey and 4 others like this.
  17. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

I remember Dylan out the Magic Roundabout....They banned the programme because Dylan the Rabbit was allegedly stoned all the time...:p
    Dylan the Rabbit was so cool an all...:chores016:
    Billy

18. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The heads were either plated in 'bright nickel,' were double plated, or were plated with an extra heavy coat. Take your pick. Opinions vary.

One thing is known for sure, the head is nickel plated.

19. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Thank you Burma Shave!

20. Redfisher

Well either way it's a damn fine finish for sure.