The Gillette President discussion thread

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Sep 9, 2015.

1. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Absolutely beautiful !

Douglas Carey likes this.
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Whichever is the case, that's true of the Y1 I just received in a trade with a fellow member. One side of the handle has minor issues but the doors are 99% pristine with a few tiny/negligible pinprick scratches that are invisible to me from a foot away. But the SHINE on those doors is unlike any I've seen on any mint Gillette, or the ones I've polished myself. It practically gleams.

And the case is about as good as they come for having been used, too. The green lining is a really nice touch.

Douglas Carey, PLANofMAN and Jorvaljr like this.
  3. kdkelly

kdkelly Well-Known Member

As far as I can tell, other than the plating, these razors are identical. On the left, an A2 Diplomat (my birthdate razor) & on the right, a Z1 President. Ironically, I have 3 Diplomats & 3 Presidents and, of the three Presidents, two suffer from handle drop (where the handle falls when opening the doors) while none of the Diplomats do. I attribute this to believing people are more likely to use a Rhodium plated razor than a gold plated one rather than any difference in the quality of the razors themselves. IMG_0434.JPG IMG_0435.JPG IMG_0436.JPG

brit, Robyflexx, gorgo2 and 3 others like this.
  4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    You, sir, suffer from a surplus of Presidents and Diplomats. Have you considered repairing your other two Presidents? Knob drop is an easy fix.
    Edit: ...and yes, the President and Diplomat are the same razor with different platings.

5. kdkelly

Yes, and I have fixed them.

45auto, Douglas Carey and PLANofMAN like this.
  6. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

These Are beautiful razors! I have always wanted to find one in the wild. Either a Diplomat, aristocrat, presidential, Sheridan, etc. These TTO razors have a cool look to them.

7. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

How did you fix them?

8. kdkelly

The "dulled" tubing cutter method. I've run across enough of them that it was worth making a tool.

9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I'm very happy with my President, but then I was always impressed by the Diplomats I've used. Anyone know the breakdown on their blade gaps and such?

10. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Beautiful plus what a catch!

Douglas Carey, Robyflexx and Jayaruh like this.
  11. Sunflake

Sunflake Well-Known Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I absolutely love my Y4 1953 President! Almost mint. It has a few very small use scratches on the doors. Found it in an antique store in a red plastic Superspeed case. Listed as a Superspeed, for $25. The best deal I've ever found. Also found a E2 1959 Fatboy that had worn Nickel plating. I sent it to Reliable Electroplating and had it re-plated in Rhodium. It's beautiful!!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
    brit, Slow Joe, Douglas Carey and 4 others like this.
  12. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

So, how much would you pay for a NOS 53 present in the original packaging?

13. Sunflake

Sunflake Well-Known Member

I've heard they go for $300

14. bscarpenter

Just missed NOS original box & papers on eBay $212

Sunflake and Douglas Carey like this.
  15. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Do you have a photo?

16. bscarpenter

17. Billy Goatee

Billy Goatee Well-Known Member

I have fixed them with a rag, screw driver & bock of wood.

18. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

brit and Douglas Carey like this.
  19. bscarpenter

So, let me preface that I am a noob & have never laid hands on a '53 president, but I do have a '47 aristocrat. I find the aristocrat to be a smooth mild shave. I too would love to hear a contrast & comparison to a '53 president.

Douglas Carey and Red Rider like this.
  20. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I own both the 46-47 aristocrat and the president and for me personally... The aristocrat shaves smoother to me. I felt the blade a little more with the president. But that's me. Maybe someone else has a different experience. I only just got my president recently and have 2 shaves on it.

brit and Douglas Carey like this.