The gillette travel tech: worth the money?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by aelfred_allspach, Mar 16, 2014.

1. aelfred_allspach

aelfred_allspach Active Member

I found a travel tech at an antique store and was wondering, are they worthy? Do the shave well with such a short handle? Any feedback would be much appreciated

2. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I like the short handle, particularly for head shaving. My son took it from me. So, I used to like it.

Shotwell likes this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

They have the same head as the regular tech.
    For me it shaves just the same, I just have to hold the razor up close to the head.

4. aelfred_allspach

Does the short handle make it difficult to get the angle right?

5. swarden43

I don't have problems.

6. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I didn't think so, but I also have pretty small hands.

7. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

You could put a full size handle on it if you didn't like the short one. A good thing about the Tech - if you get the angle wrong it just won't cut whiskers. Personally, I think the travel Tech is sort of a solution without a problem. It's really not tough to travel with a full size handle. I'd pick it up just for the head if it's a decent price though.

SRNewb likes this.
  8. aelfred_allspach

The one I found was 15

9. swarden43

I agree about the travel point. I really don't see where you're really saving that much space or weight.
    I got one just for the novelty of it, and, yes, it is in my rotation.

10. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Your title states is it worth the money. If you like. That's all that matters.

dscaver and Slow Joe like this.
  11. I'm intrigued by these as well. I'm considering buying one myself

12. fzrider

fzrider Active Member

I love mine. I have one in a little trifold vinyl case, and it makes it very easy to take anywhere. I take it to work me on occasion when I don't have time to shave at home. The handle is no problem for me, just a little different. You can't go wrong with a tech. They are mild but very efficient. One of my favorite shavers!

13. bzero007

bzero007 Active Member

I have yet to use mine but because of this post I will in the morning.
    Mine was part of a package travel kit I scored on the bay.
    Here is a pic I found online of my exact kit.
    The metal case that houses everything is actually a shoe brush, bristles bottom side.
    On the second photo you will see slide button, this button slides the comb in and out of the side.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
    Slow Joe, vwp528 and 178-bplatoon like this.
  14. aelfred_allspach

Wow that's a great grab! The one I found on the bay was just the razor, and it was a little under the weather

15. bzero007

bzero007 Active Member

I find that one of the most interesting things about the vintage travel techs is the great variety of different kits that were made for sale and companies. There are some really interesting pieces out there that are in good shape.

Slow Joe likes this.
  16. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I've got two. One in a case and one a stand alone B2. I don't need two. I'm willing to let the stand alone go. How about a pif?
    travel_razor1.JPG

tech_1.jpg

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
    vwp528 likes this.
  17. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Here's one from my collection, a 1963 model. IMAG0131.jpg IMAG0132.jpg IMAG0135.jpg The nickle was added to show size.

RaZorBurn123 and vwp528 like this.
  18. Uncle Brian

Uncle Brian Active Member

Cute little razor and because it has a Tech head you know it will shave well with the right blade. Worth adding to any collection if it's in good condition and to too expensive you you.

19. slickrick

slickrick New Member

I scored one on ebay that was new old stock for $15 to go with my travel kit from The Art of Shaving that my inlaws gave me for Christmas.
    It was a perfect razor for that kit, BUT, it was also my first de razor. I used it every day for over a week while I waited for my Parker. This razor does a great job. I am bald so I cover more area than many and I used this razor ...AS A BEGINNER!..... with no cuts or weepers. Definitely worth having if not just for the head, which you can always buy a handle for. Just used it last week while I was visiting my folks for a week and it gave me consistent close shaves using gillette 7 O'Clock blades.

20. aelfred_allspach

Did you ever try derby or dorco?