The Gillette Tuckaway

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Oldguy, Oct 8, 2010.

1. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

There was a thread about it on that other board...

2. highball

highball Member

I started the thread your talking about.
    Here I have pointed out the difference in the Red and Black New Deluxe handles.
    The far left handle is from a common bar handle New and has a rounded shoulder, all the Red and Black New Deluxe have a flat shoulder

Attached Files:

3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

So, for those of us (me) unwilling to visit this other shave board, the difference is the handle? The heads all look alike.

4. highball

highball Member

The 1936 Red and Black sets came with a gold razor and a 5 pack of Blue blades. Most of the sets have a standard bar handle New, some came with a Tech head. Some also came with a New Deluxe head, the ones with the New Deluxe heads are the ones I pictured. The Tuckaway type handle is the rarest of the Red and Black sets

Attached Files:

5. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Wow! Thanks for the info!

6. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

Yowser. I used to like the Red and Black set because my tired old brain could remember what goes in it - and I never forgot!! Now !!!!! Yikes!

That is very interesting though I got to admit. May I ask how you determined this?? Did you see advertisements for these razors? Or....?

I haven't noticed the difference in the handle 'shoulders' before. Thanx!! Now I have so many more to find :eek: (Just when I thought I had one style of Gillette cornered!)

7. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The barrel has the 5 point diamond sides like the Bostonian, (compared to 3 point diamonds on the Tuckaway) but the end cap of the Tuckaway. It lacks the patent numbers that are printed on the Bostonian barrels, likely because the patents are printed on the heads.

[​IMG]

8. brit

brit in a box

cool thread..