The Haul: December 12th - December 18th, 2011

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by PalmettoB, Dec 12, 2011.

1. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I think Tabac is my favorite SS! You'll like it and the scent is pretty mild post shave.

2. wyatt46

wyatt46 Well-Known Member

If the Proraso White is anything like the Proraso Green you will be hooked on the "old time" barbershop smell and the menthol...enjoy
    Barber_pole_2.gif

3. xCarbonSteelx

xCarbonSteelx Well-Known Member

I'm excited! Going to shave with the EJ tomorrow morning. Not sure if I will use cream with the first shave since that's what I'm used to, or if I should just dive into the soap.

4. tuco99

tuco99 Well-Known Member

Wyatt, are those blades the same as ST301?
    I've read conflicting reports that state 300 and 301 are the same,different packing.Also where some like the 301 and not the 300?
    What vendor did you buy from?

5. wyatt46

The vendor is whypaymoretradingca on eBay, $9.99/100 free shipping in Canada.
    The manufacturer claims they're the same, I know the 301's come in a white plastic blade dispenser.
    The st-300's come in a paper blade dispencer.
    The st-300's come in white and blue/white paper dispencers , white has 5 blades and blue/white has 10 blades.
    I seem to remember the 301's being sharper.

Dorco st300-1.JPG

Dorco st300-2.JPG

Dorco st300-3.JPG

Mechguy, tuco99 and alpla444 like this.
  6. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Well the manufacturer may claim they are the same, but me and my face agree with you Wyatt.

My face tells me the ST-301's are an acceptable blade, not my favorite but acceptable, while the ST-300's felt like shaving with a ragged can lid.

Of course YMMV and all that jazz....

Mechguy likes this.
  7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Same here. Good analogy!

8. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

Ragged can lid :signs131: that sounds pretty bad. Thanks for the heads up.

9. wyatt46

:signs011:

Like Bill said YMMV
    I like the 300's myself
    tuco99 PM me and I will send you a couple to try if you like

10. Smoothy

Smoothy Well-Known Member

During my mini-break over the last 3 days, I finally found the time now to take photographs of my recently acquired Gillette New long tooth Bull Mastiff from Bob's Razor Works. I have been using this razor for 2 weeks now and I must admit I like it more day by day.

There are some deeper scratches visible on the bottom plate as well as on the inside of the top plate of the shave head, which makes me think that this razor has seen a busy and very active life prior to Bob laying his hands (and talent) on it. Those scratches do not really bother me, I find they actually give 'my' razor a unique characteristic.

The nickel plating looks stunning, I personally find that I actually prefer its look to chrome or stainless steel razors. Bob has done a marvelius job plating this beauty and turning that new Bull Mastiff handle.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mechguy, tuco99, alpla444 and 7 others like this.
  11. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Nice. But I'm curious what the point of the bottom knob being able to screw off is since it doesn't hold the head cap in like a single ring bottom knob does.

12. Smoothy

Smoothy Well-Known Member

The way I understand it, it is for customization purposes. That bottom knob can be unscrewed and replaced with a different knob, either a heavier one of one likes to have more weight or simply a different design and material such as wood. Plus, this knob is magnetic, similar to the bottom of the handle of the Red Eclipse. Very handy, I must add!

13. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Interesting that anyone would want to change out the knob. But I guess we all do different things. Personally, I'd have no desire to change out the knob and it shouldn't be any more hard to put a magnet in a 1-piece handle than it is to put it into a small knob. But it's nice the option is there for those that do want to change out the knob. Neat. Thanks. Enjoy it well! :)

14. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Well I thought I'd get my early Christmas presents tomorrow, but I actually got some today. A Simpson's Commodore X2, MWF in ceramic dish, & a Provence Sante Green Tea SS. I'm looking forward to giving the X2 a spin on the Fat tonight

[​IMG]

Mechguy, alpla444, rodd and 6 others like this.
  15. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

Well, I FOUND a lot today, but didn't end up buying. Found four full boxes of NOS Techmatic bands...but, don't know if ppl even bother with the Techmatics, so I passed.

Also found a Gillette black handled adjustable. Was going to buy it, but they were asking just a little too much based on the condition. I made a reasonable offer and the antique gal refused to budge. I think she expected me to relent, but I just smiled and walked out.

Smoothy, that razor of yours looks mighty purdy!

GDCarrington and Johnny like this.
  16. gregindallas

gregindallas Rolls Razor Revivalist

My vast experience with the brush (I've used it once). I like it better already than my Kent.

SharpSpine and GDCarrington like this.
  17. AABCDS

AABCDS Member

My first vintage Simpson brush arrived yesterday, an AS2.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Mechguy, alpla444, rodd and 6 others like this.
  18. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I picked up two bottles of Superior 70 at the bodega across the street from work.

It went up from $2.09 a bottle to $2.25.

Still a fantastic bargain.

alpla444 likes this.
  19. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Nice brush James. That handle shape is one of my favorites.

20. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

The eagle or should I say the Duke landed this morning. I gave it a good shampoo with Mitchell's Wool Fat shampoo, combed it out, lathered it real good with some MWF shave soap, rinsed it good and shook off all the access water. It is drying now and will get its maiden voyage tomorrow.

This brush is just the right size and I know it will serve me well.

SharpSpine and rodd like this.