The Haul: February 2017

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by RaZorBurn123, Jan 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Smiley Smug Bugger? :happy097:

mrchick and RyX like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Can't be having a CT you want. That sort of defeats the fun of it

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

mrchick and twhite like this.
  3. Kenneth Sampson

Kenneth Sampson Well-Known Member

Thanks @Drygulch. Delivered today during a tornado warning.

[​IMG]

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

AGHisBBS, Jim99, DaltonGang and 10 others like this.
  4. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Sparrow, Recklesstr, AGHisBBS and 9 others like this.
  5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Got home to find the scent of the Barbasol Pac.Rush balm I found today has completely disappeared. The barest hint of a ghost remains. Evidently it's considerably older stock than I'd guessed. However, that's all that seems wrong, so it should still take care of post-shave needs. Can't say I'm really disappointed that it's faded because I find the PR fragrance kinda meh. Besides, I have a stock of Afta which is great stuff.

Jim99, Hodge, ob1page and 1 other person like this.
  6. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Todays junking haul.
    Genco straight razor that has some miles on it. But should cleanup and take an edge. Next up a Rubberset 200-4. The handle is in great shape. A re-
    knot will be in order. All for $20.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sparrow, AGHisBBS, Jorvaljr and 11 others like this.
  7. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

For my birthday I drug my daughter up to Prescott, AZ for some antique shopping. I picked up this sign for my bedroom (it's almost impossible to find shaving art wall hangings). I can't tell if it's old or just made to look old but I like it.
    [​IMG]
    I also bought a straight. The blade says Peerless and is marked with Harrison Brothers and Benson, Cutters to his Majesty. Anyone know anything about it? Is it worth getting restored? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. RyX

RyX DoH!

Trade from Straight Razor Dandy.gif
    Wasn't expecting this to arrive until Monday.
    A fresh tub of discontinued Strop Shoppe Special Edition London Morning with tallow. I had ordered samples of the brand in several scents when I started wet shaving. With so many new soaps to try I never ordered a full sized tub before the company stopped producing. The scent is described as cedar leaf and citrus. I find it pleasant and I recall the soap being good.
    Second item in today's shipment, from Germany's oldest producer, Klar's Rasierseife Mandel. In English that's almond scented shave soap. These guys don't mess around. This stuff is the strongest almond scented soap I've ever encountered.
    Test shaves to come!

Sparrow, AGHisBBS, Jorvaljr and 7 others like this.
  9. RyX

RyX DoH!

Washerless pins, striations in the scales. Ivory?

twhite and ob1page like this.
  10. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

I do not see any washers on the pins, I can't tell if it's ivory, there appears to be a hairline crack from the front pin on one side. There are striations in the scales and the wedge appears to be metal. Top view
    [​IMG]

Hodge, DaltonGang, RyX and 4 others like this.
  11. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

The Klar soap I have, even though it is around thirty years old or more, still performs great. Excellent lather and glide, but the scent is kinda weak, most likely due to it's age. Still, it is my favorite soap and being milled five times, as yours is, should make it last a very long time.

Hodge, RyX and ob1page like this.
  12. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Good to know.

RyX and ob1page like this.
  13. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

@Queen of Blades , I thing "Repentant Smug Bugger" would be fitting.

ob1page, mrchick and Hodge like this.
  14. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

As for, restoration worthiness, the blade would have to be cleaned up a little, so the edge could be better seen. If it's a clean edge, then I would say yes. But, I "restore" my own razors. If you send it out, it might cost a few pennies. Bump @HolyRollah , and @gssixgun , they are the professional restorers.

mrchick and ob1page like this.
  15. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Three items: a Dutch glass DE blade sharpener (Scheerwonder - shaving wonder), a German DE utility knife and a Dutch bakelite razor from the 1930's.

Sharpener:

the haul 2017-02-24-03.jpg

the haul 2017-02-24-02.jpg

brandless DE utility knife (though it says Pat. Germany, so it probably had German origins):

the haul 2017-02-24-04.jpg

the haul 2017-02-24-05.jpg

the haul 2017-02-24-07.jpg

The bakelite razor branded Philite. Philite was a Philips brand for bakelite products. Probably bakelite was a registred trademark, so they had to find a new name. And yes, Philips is the Dutch electric light bulb company (and much more nowadays):

the haul 2017-02-24-10.jpg

the haul 2017-02-24-12.jpg

the haul 2017-02-24-15.jpg

Of course I had to have a Dutch shave this morning: Philite loaded with a Terra blade from Alblasserdam, DVH shave stick and vintage DVH boar brush. The Punktal and Nationaal blades are Dutch as well. As opposed to most DE blades with a thickness of 0.08 mm, the Punktal blades are a mere 0.06 mm thick/thin.

After two strokes I exchanged the Terra blade (terribly blunt, so it has to be sharpened) for a Personna blade. Great shave! I think I'll make a special post about this razor soon. :)

the haul 2017-02-24-16.jpg

You can order Terra blades at Fa. (firm) J. v. Horssen, Alblasserdam

the haul 2017-02-24-17.jpg

16. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

It's been a while since I've been able to do much searching in the wild. I managed to drop into a few shops in Northern California this week and picked these up. I think they will all clean up well. [​IMG]

17. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Nice haul! You've got some nice razors! I like the scales on the Wadsworth.

twhite and mrchick like this.
  18. mrchick

Thank you. I do like those scales.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  19. hvacguy85

hvacguy85 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Found a couple of these today, thinking shaving bowls

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

20. mrchick

I saw a matching coffee mug at an antiques fair this month. Nice bowl.

Robyflexx and ob1page like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.