The Haul: January 2017

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by RaZorBurn123, Jan 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Wow! Great brush!

Carbide Mike likes this.
  2. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

I received a white one for Christmas and broke it in over the following week. It really provided very close shaves, but the first use caused some razor burn due to some over shaving. I found you need to be careful because it is fairly efficient and light weight, that for me, I did not realize how well it was working and over did it. Let us know how you like it and have some fun!
    Steve

jimjo1031, Carbide Mike and RyX like this.
  3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I've been looking forward to my iKon Shavecraft 101 head for some time. I received my package from iKon just now, instead of my SC101 head inside was a B1 Slant with an OSS handle. $100 vs $40. I emailed Greg @ iKon. Good luck with that.

4. Smooth Steve

Contrats on the snag. What kind of blade does this use? I never saw a razor like this. Very cool. I hope you review.
    Steve

Carbide Mike and John Beeman like this.
  5. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Thanks, after smelling them all I can't wait for 2018 to get some full size bottles

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

Carbide Mike and RyX like this.
  6. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

The little disc blade is kind of interesting. It's about the diameter of a nickel and has a small square hole in the center. Both the razor and the blade are marked as being manufactured by National Production Company of Detroit and the razor has a patent date of 5/15/34.
    The enclosed instructions indicate that this unique razor is the only razor shaped in such a way that it gets into the deepest hollows of the under-arm.
    They also indicate that blades may be purchased at the Toilet Goods counter of most Department Stores or you can have blades mailed to you at 25 cents for each package of two blades, postpaid, direct from the company in Detroit.

If I can figure out how to get some NOS blades or sharpen the one I've got then I'll be sure to post a review (maybe with video). The instructions do give a word to men "...if you pride yourself on being well-groomed, you'll also want a Shermack of your own for under-arm shaving."

7. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

"Nothing fancy"........one of my NY resolutions. Healthy way to live.

mrchick and Carbide Mike like this.
  8. Smooth Steve

Blades were from the motor city. My current home town. Interesting. I would be cool to see it disassembled. How many pieces is the razor? 2 or 3 I would guess. I hope you find the correct blades. That seems to be a problem with some of the older unique razors that took proprietary blade designs.
    Steve

RyX, Carbide Mike and John Beeman like this.
  9. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I thought you'd appreciate the Motown connection.

I've seen these little guys before but just hadn't the right opportunity to pick one up. I'm thinking it will get parked next to a couple of Curvfit razors I acquired several months ago.

If I get a minute tomorrow I'll take it apart and take a couple of pictures to post.

RyX, Carbide Mike and Smooth Steve like this.
  10. Smooth Steve

Cool.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  11. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

My first purchases of 2017 after a NB16. Thanks @Herm2502 for the thin cap OT head at a great price. I'll check back in next week with the big haul. Just got shipping confirmation today.
    IMG_G2_20170106_174720_20170106193013608.jpg

Drygulch, Drawer, Recklesstr and 14 others like this.
  12. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

That Lucky Tiger is good stuff Steve. Very skin friendly with good ingredients, enjoy.

RyX, Carbide Mike and Smooth Steve like this.
  13. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

My iKon Shavecraft 101 shipped. Again... To me..:signs002:..:bounce017:

14. Smooth Steve

You are absolutely right. I could not agree more. Good stuff. I have used it the last couple of days and skipped the stand alone witch hazel. I just wish the scent was a tad stronger. I feel this way about most of my aftershaves. It feels great on the face.
    Steve

15. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Just received my new Whipped Dog Silvertip. I left the knot at standard depth and selected a larger handle. It's a big brush and I love it!
    20170107_084054.jpg

HERM

Sparrow, Demidog, Jayaruh and 17 others like this.
  16. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Picked up a Tech for $5.00. Do I need another Gillette Tech , heck no but for five bucks I can't go wrong. Here it is pre any cleaning with original Schick D.E. blade removed. Will soak overnight and polish tomorrow. This is one of those razors I like to give away to family/friends to introduce someone into traditional safety razor wet shaving.

IMG_1354.JPG

Pet peeve almost all of these vintage razors come with a blade still inside and one has to be careful when checking it out.

17. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Oh, I forgot...I believe I have a Boar coming from someone.

18. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I love techs. I'm waiting to find one like that. I like that style of handle.

jimjo1031 and Carbide Mike like this.
  19. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

You are correct, not the typical handle as these are thinner but solid and heavier than the usual fat or thick handle. I believe it's a Service Set Tech.

Just cleaned it up.
    IMG_1355.JPG

Not perfect but considering the price "C'est Bon" !!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  20. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

@Herm2502 what knot setting is your whipped dog silvertip otherwise I'm guessing is a 24mm knot with a 53mm loft

Carbide Mike likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.