The Haul: March 2017

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by RaZorBurn123, Feb 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

It is one hell of a razor. Might as well just use a straight. Guarantee it will be smoother.

ob1page and jmudrick like this.
  2. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Thought this was gonna be a '49, but turned out to be a '53...
    [​IMG]
    ...and an *excellent* shaver it is.

Drygulch, Jorvaljr, Sparrow and 14 others like this.
  3. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Flea market haul
    I scored a L2 slim at a yard sale, looks new.
    Avon booth st the flea world, i acquired a new avon flavor, cologne and a/s balm. Reupped on mesmerize cologne and a/ s balm. 4 for t bucks for pit roll ons.
    I got a block of Himalayan pink salt, not sure if the same as alum(if someone knows, please chime in and say). A bottle of florida water.
    Couple a spray bottles for a/s. 20170325_164457_resized.jpg

Recklesstr, preidy, AGHisBBS and 13 others like this.
  4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

wow, was I surprised to get my Maggard's order so soon! I wasn't expecting it until Monday, it came today! It's L&L Grooming Marshland's A.S. w/Menthol. I'm set through this summer now...come and get me humidity!!!! I'll still get my Stirling order in as part of the Birthday Blitz, but so far NB 18 looks good for me :).

AGHisBBS, Drygulch, Karl G and 7 others like this.
  5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I kinda was in a hurry when I took the picture of the Darth Vader razor stand, it's a lot nicer than I'm showing.
    The Supply Co injector. WOW!!
    IMG_20170325_152541.jpg

Recklesstr, preidy, AGHisBBS and 11 others like this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

It's salt. From the Himalayas. Mineral content makes it pink. Read HERE for some info. If it is what you said, you can use it in food. It sells commercially at around $4/lb.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  7. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Ty,
    I'm new to the whole idea of alum. I ran into a vender, who sold the bath salts.
    I asked about alum for a/s's and deodorant. He said he used pink salt. I got the bath salts for my wife, and got the bar (deodorant) for me.
    Can it be used like alum?
    Is it corrosive, and will it hurt my straight razors?

RyX likes this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

Interesting questions. I don't have answers from personal experience about the use of salt as deodorant or post shave care. General knowledge suggests that salt when used as a preservative retards or kills bacterial growth. In another thread I read about using alcohol to kill an underarm rash. The side effect - it killed the bacteria that cause body odor.
    Alum, or aluminum potassium sulfate, is an aluminum salt. Different than the table salt you put on french fries - that's sodium chloride. Used topically they could both serve as an antiseptic, but I haven't heard of pink salt used that way. From experience I know Alum burns when it hits a bit of abused shave area. Kind of like getting salt in a cut.

ob1page likes this.
  9. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

My first DD
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I took my wife to an art class today. On the way home we stopped at a few antique stores. I was only looking for straights today. Needless to say I saw a bunch of Gillette's of all types.
    This was the only decent straight. It also was the cheapest. Go figure. Time to hone it up tonight. Then give it a go tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Navarrsky, preidy, AGHisBBS and 13 others like this.
  10. George X

George X Well-Known Member

Nice score!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. PickledNorthern

Famous words heard so often from a wet shaver suffering from AD's.

12. Paul Turner

Oh, about succeeding in my NB 18 pledge? I see your point, but I'm going for it :cool:

13. PickledNorthern

Well we won't hold it against you when you bust out in the first quarter. Face it Paul, you are as hopelessly hooked as the rest of us.

14. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

The long discontinued and very rare Proraso legend! Oh, and a Palmolive shave stick. Ha!
    IMG_20170326_011543.jpg

RetLEO-07, Taipan, Sparrow and 15 others like this.
  15. Paul Turner

I'll cross that soap when I get to it :D

Drygulch, RyX and PickledNorthern like this.
  16. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Looking forward to hearing how you like it. I was considering the non-mentholated version today. Have you used them before? :signs002:

17. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Congrats Tom. Looks great!

twhite likes this.
  18. jstolp

jstolp Active Member

Found a late 50's Old Spice Shave Mug at a local flea market this weekend for $3. Been looking for one for a while. On the bottom I see the number "19"...anyone know what this number means?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

RyX, RaZorBurn123, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  19. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I'm thinking it's the mold number like you see on plastic parts.

20. jstolp

jstolp Active Member

That makes sense. Would a lower mold number mean it was produced in the earlier part of the date range then? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.