The Haul: May 2017

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by RaZorBurn123, Apr 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

That Flare is in nice shape and will give a great shave; one of my favorite razors. I know nothing about the straight, but I'm sure you'll get plenty of help there.

2. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

The straight appears to be in good shape. The blade doesn't appear to have much hone wear and should clean up nicely. Heck of a deal.

3. RyX

RyX DoH!

I've got a "Manufactured Expressly For Simmons Hardware Co" If I recall correctly - look into Keen Kutter.

From Uniclectica;

"SIMMONS HARDWARE CO
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Trademark: "KEEN KUTTER"
    ca. 1868 - 1960"

4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Didnt buy but those Weishi DEs with the bald guy are 9.99 at Ollies.

RaZorBurn123 and Jorvaljr like this.
  5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

RazoRock MJ-90. Sweet smelling TOBS Grapefruit. And 100 Gillette Green
    IMG_20170527_125025306~01.jpg

Enrico, Puma, AGHisBBS and 13 others like this.
  6. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Those Gillette greens are on sale for a great price!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

jimjo1031 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  7. RaZorBurn123

I couldn't pass on them, 10¢ a blade is great. Did you get some Andrew?

Linuxguile and Jorvaljr like this.
  8. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Damn nice

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  9. RaZorBurn123

Thanks. :)

10. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I love the grapefruit. I think it's scent is closest to the intended fruit scent. I mean it smells like someone actually sliced open a grapefruit and put it to your nose.

jimjo1031, Jorvaljr and Linuxguile like this.
  11. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I did, along with a few others.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

jimjo1031 and Jorvaljr like this.
  12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Went to a health food store, they have local made soaps. One is pipe tobacco and coffee. I've always been a sucker for pipe tobacco and it is potent. Not getting any coffee out of it but I don't really care about that. Will be tomorrow's shave soap.

AGHisBBS, mrchick, ob1page and 6 others like this.
  13. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Went out hunting with the wife this afternoon.

She found a BakeLite Tech from 2nd Qtr of 52 in a 5/52 correct box. I love that woman.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Enrico, Jim99, Puma and 16 others like this.
  14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Haven't seen Crows licorice candy in a few years, found them at Big Lots for a buck a box. Can't beat that. Claey's old style horehound and lemon drops too.

Enrico, AGHisBBS and ob1page like this.
  15. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Just found a British Blue Tip Super Speed to complete the collection.
    BT.jpg
    The Trio
    BT2.jpg

Jorvaljr, Drygulch, brit and 19 others like this.
  16. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Here is some info on the various Krona models that may help. Looks like a 67 or later...

• ca. 1964-65: original design with short metal knob, two-ply center bar, labelled with code M-5 and "Made in U.S.A" plus either a "SCHICK" or a triangle logo, blank doors, approximate weight 55-g.
    • ca. 1966: design revised with long metal knob, two-ply center bar, often labelled with code 6-M, "3-2" or "4-2", and "Made in U.S.A" plus either a "SCHICK" or a triangle logo, blank doors, approximate weight 50-g.
    • ca. 1966: as above, but grey instead of black and branded EVERSHARP with eagle logo.
    • ca. 1967-68: design revised for 1967 patents, plastic knob, one-ply center bar, often labelled with code 1-M, "PATENTS PENDING", doors stamped "Schick - Schick" or "Schick - Krona" or "Schick - (blank)", approximate weight 38-g.
    • ca. 1968-76 or later: plastic knob, one-ply center bar, various codes, doors stamped "Schick - Schick" or "Schick - Krona" or "Schick - (blank)", approximate weight 38-g.

Enrico, jimjo1031, jtspartan and 8 others like this.
  17. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Did a little antiquing yesterday and came home with a few things shave related.

An Old Spice coffee mug for $1 - the inside needed a good scrubbing - looked like someone used it as a pencil holder for many years.

002.JPG 003.JPG

A vintage puck of Williams for $6

004.JPG 006.JPG 007.JPG

And a big 16 oz bottle of Star of India for $2

010.JPG 011.JPG

Jorvaljr, Drygulch, brit and 12 others like this.
  18. RyX

RyX DoH!

Congrats on the Mug & Soap!
    I found no info about the Star of India. AS or cologne? How's it smell?

Linuxguile, John Beeman and twhite like this.
  19. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Kinda like a lot of old bottles of cologne/aftershave that I've collected.

It seems like it still retains something of its original scent but it also bears much in common with all cologne/aftershave that's past its "best by" date.

I put some on my wrists and it was initially quite strong but within minutes you could hardly detect it.
    The wife took a whiff and told me that it would look nice on the shelf next to a few other old ones in my collection.

I don't know much about Louangel products but I do have a vintage bottle of their British Crown with the big wooden cap that smells like a bad attempt to compete with English Leather.
    I've also seen their Oriental Jade for sale but I'm not familiar with that one.

The good part is I've got 16 ounces of Star of India so I'll never run out (HaHa).

edit. - sorry I missed part of your question. It's hard to see in the picture but the label says in small print "a man's cologne".

Last edited: May 28, 2017
    Enrico, jimjo1031, AGHisBBS and 5 others like this.
  20. RyX

RyX DoH!

Very little info on the web about Louangel. It is a handsome bottle. If it's faint scented you might add a complimentary E.O. to boost the fragrance. I'd suspect sandalwood.

AGHisBBS, ob1page, Linuxguile and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.