The Haul: November 2016

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by RaZorBurn123, Nov 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That is a beauty.

crackstar likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

If you don't mind an answer from another Steve - I have no problems with C&E soaps. Always get a great lather.

Spud, Smooth Steve and crackstar like this.
  3. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I would too. I know a lot of people were unhappy with the reformulation a couple years ago. Curious to hear your opinion, and from anyone else who could weigh in.

Spud and crackstar like this.
  4. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Okay. I wasn't going to buy anything else this year, especially brushes. But I was looking at Gifts and Care, and saw a synthetic/horse combo. Well I certainly don't have one of those already, so.... I ordered one. At $13 shipped from Spain, how can you not buy one?

[​IMG]

preidy, Drygulch, Jorvaljr and 9 others like this.
  5. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Had a nice triple treat in the mailbox today.............
    1 - Gillette razor case with blade bank, $8.75 shipped. After some research, either old type OC with ball handle, or New OC with ball handle. A lot cheaper than just buying a blade bank. I'll be going with the New OC as I have a few old types. Originally sold through the Winchester store. (sticker on back)
    2 - Thanks to @Bama Samurai, an Arko shave stick and a couple of vials of Lilac Vegetal. New stuff for my next shave.
    3 - A couple of olive skewers from Tito's Vodka. They'll come in handy.

IMG_0887.jpg IMG_0888.jpg IMG_0889.jpg

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
    preidy, Drygulch, Marverel and 8 others like this.
  6. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Two tubes of this great Bangladeshi cream!

Tibet Forest Fresh is the name and it's nicely-scented, very easy to lather, and well-mentholated.

tibetlathershavingcream.jpg

7. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Round-comb Shovelhead with blade bank & case...
    [​IMG]
    ...and my case of Arko.

Drygulch, AGHisBBS, RyX and 5 others like this.
  8. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Another straight razor "Witte's Rattler" supposedly pre 20th century. Honed and ready to go!

IMG_1416.JPG

preidy, crackstar, Drygulch and 15 others like this.
  9. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

I wandered home today in possession of another NOS vintage beauty

IMG_8335.JPG IMG_8336.JPG

preidy, crackstar, Drygulch and 13 others like this.
  10. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

20161128_200556.jpg

Did a little Christmas shopping a bit early this year:

SC Fortitude balm
    MLSW Jurate
    Tallow & Steel Dark
    Dr. Jon's Krampus
    Gustafsons Stubble Management
    Beaver Woodwright Jolly Rodger
    Chatillon Lux Unconditional Surrender salve

The one that really stood out is the Krampus, smells interesting like Apple cider. the Jurate smells almost exactly like SC Fortitude to my nose which is not necessarily a bad thing. T&S has awesome performance so can't go wrong there. Threw on a dab of the Chatillon Lux salve and it feels moisturizing. Pretty geeked to try the new gear.

Drygulch, Jorvaljr, AGHisBBS and 9 others like this.
  11. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

I used the C&E soap for the first time Sunday. I purchased 1 in the wood bowl and a refill. I didn't know if it would be good, and bought it without reading any reviews. When I returned home, I read read the reviews, many stating that the old formula was terrible. This combined with the fact the sales person told me they were discontinuing the soap gave me some reserve. I was ready to possibly return the refill if the soap was did not perform. The good news was that my soap was the latest formula.

So how did it perform. First off, the packaging was first class for both the refill and the wood bowl. The soap smelled great, was nice and hard, and everything appeared to reflect quality. I did not use any pre-shave, other then to wash my face, to gage the soap's performance straight up. I used my Monster synthetic brush and bloomed the soap with hot water while I washed my face. The brush loaded quite easily. I lathered the soap in my Crown King dual chamber scuttle filled with scalding water. I had no trouble building a nice warm lather and the scent remained fairly strong, with a spicy sandalwood fragrance. The lather provided plenty of custom and slickness. I did not experience any of the negatives some others have had. My water is soft and is great for building a solid lather. I did 2.5 passes and had plenty of warm lather on my brush. The soap was a bit thirsty, and I had to added water to my brush a couple of times. The post shave left my face slick and smooth. I used my Wunderbar with an Astra blade with 3 prior shaves under its belt. The soap worked well and I was very happy. I did not get any negative feedback from the Alum and decided to keep the refill.

This was only one shave, so I obviously need to try the soap multiple times to gage true performance and consistency, nevertheless I was very pleased. The only semi-negative is that the Wunderbar shaves so close, and this was the fourth consecutive shave with it, that I had little growth to shave and had to be careful not to over shave! I find under these circumstances, the quality of the soap is key to keeping your skin from getting any razor burn, etc. The soap delivered. Based on only one shave, I would recommend this latest formula of C&E Indian Sandalwood to anyone that enjoys the scent and is interested in trying. I think it is a good value.

Steve

crackstar, Drygulch, Jorvaljr and 8 others like this.
  12. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

crackstar, RyX and mrchick like this.
  13. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I received my Italian Barber Bamboo handle and I must say I'm very happy. I also got another offering from DUA perfumes. I'll post pictures tomorrow:)

crackstar, Marverel, AGHisBBS and 5 others like this.
  14. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

Mail Call 1:15pm:- Today I received from US from Stirling Soap Co.
    1 Stirling Barbershop Shaving Soap in a green tub and looking forward to shave this afternoon :);)
    1 Refill Stirling Barbershop Shaving Soap
    1 Stirling Finest Badger Shave Brush - 24/54mm for my brother :rolleyes::ahem:
    1 Stirling Synthetic Shave Brush - 24/51mm for me :) this brush feels a lot better than a 24/57mm RazoRock Plissoft Synthetic, I'm going to use the new brush this afternoon and I know is not going to be a bit floppy than a 57mm loft and I can tell it just right and perfect :happy088: I'm very happy today :happy108:

And I'm hoping another package while arrived this afternoon from RazorRock a Wunderbar Slant :ashamed001: before I start shaving this afternoon ;):shaver

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  15. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Don't sniff the Veg first, just apply it like a boss. You will know if you are chosen. Enjoy!

crackstar, Drygulch, George X and 6 others like this.
  16. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

too late.......... but it won't deter me.

17. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Try not to judge it for 45 minutes. It really changes quite a bit as it dries. I like the skinfeel with Veg a lot too.

18. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Great review. Thanks.

crackstar and PickledNorthern like this.
  19. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

Apparently I'm developing a Cartridge Razor Acquisition Disorder :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

preidy, crackstar, Drygulch and 11 others like this.
  20. Mustache

Mustache Well-Known Member

I've never seen anything like that! Cool.

Marverel, RyX and PickledNorthern like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.