The HHT and DE blades - A little help please

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by gssixgun, Feb 22, 2012.

1. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

I put the Merkur through the Allegro sharpener. About 20 strokes on the black side of the hone, about 20 on the green side and about 80 on the leather side (the strop).

Result: nada! Still a HHT fail. :angry017: Well, I read somewhere that new blades don't like the Allegro messin' about with them. ;)

I think the blade is going to be retired very soon, as the shave wasn't that good.

I'll try a vintage blade tomorrow! :)

-to be continued -

2. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

I put a Gillette 7 o'clock Black to the test this morning. It was brand new and it popped the root end of my hair, but not the other end. And it did the same to my wife's hair. I will let you know how it performs after the first shave.

3. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Ah, forgot to post yesterday, sorry for that. :ashamed001:
    But that makes two for today:

Yesterday's blade: vintage Punktal, 0.06 mm thin. Failed HHT, even after rehoning and restropping in the Allegro honing machine. Only passed when performed on 1/3 of an inch away from my fingers. Nice DFS +, though.
    Today's blade: new feather blade. Failed HHT. BBS shave. :signs002:

I guess more and more that the HHT is a YMMV thing (and even YHMV - Your Hair May Vary :D): mine may be thinner or thicker, tougher or more flexible, harder or softer etc... than yours. And of course: this blade in that razor works magic with me and is hell with somebody else. Too many variables I guess, but that is my humble opinion.

More tomorrow, again another blade, I guess.

4. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Many many thanks to those that checked and basically proved what I already thought..

Your checking is much appreciated..

As to my thoughts I have only one

"HHT is for people honing the blades not for a shaver to use as a test to check an edge, the test must be calibrated for it to be any use at all"

When I first started using it, I honestly thought I was God's gift to honing, as every edge would pass easily, then I once used the wifes hair and not mine and learned that HHT was not so easy after all

I have a calibrated test with hers that I even now just use for fun, her hair will not pop until the edge has been stropped in after all the honing is complete, my hair will pop anytime after a bevel set...

Again many thanks

5. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

No sweat. :)

6. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!