The iKon Slant has finally arrived!!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Azarius, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Azarius

Azarius Must have had his WHEATies

My wife sent me this pic not long ago. I cannot wait to give her a spin tonight!!
    [​IMG]

2. Heloguy

Heloguy Well-Known Member

The wife or the slant? Lol! Just kidding, she's a beauty! Happy shaving!

Azarius and Justin Linker like this.
  3. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Sweet!!!! What does it cost? Can you buy just the shave head? Any reviews? This is why I spend sooooo much money on shaving stuff....:happy097:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
    Azarius and Justin Linker like this.
  4. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Beautiful...

5. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

Only one word:

Wow!!!

6. Azarius

Both actually :O

The full razor is selling for $149.99, and the head is selling for $99.99 but iKon is not allowing dealers to carry just the head for now (or that is what I was told at least from two different vendors). You can try to purchase the head directly from iKon, but they are only releasing ten per day, so good luck trying to score one.

I have four buddies on FB that have it already. Most of the reviews have been positive. What I have heard so far:
    • Blade is held firmer than other DE's so it feels more rigid, almost like an SE
    • Ton's of audio feedback during the shave
    • Mild, without the feedback you would not even realize you where shaving
    • BBS results in under three passes
    I am going to use it exclusively for the next week or so before giving it a full on review.

7. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I don't need another razor.

8. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Thank God I bought my Aristocrat and am happy with that; or I'd have already ordered this. Sure is beautiful!

9. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

Nor I

Nor I

Nor I

Nor I

:angry032:

10. Dave Paskowski

Dave Paskowski Active Member

Me 2
    Me 2
    Me 2
    :duel:What razor Hun?

battle.munky likes this.
  11. Azarius

First Impression of the iKon Slant Razor
    [​IMG]
    After about a year of waiting the iKon Slant has finally made it to the vendors and are available for purchase.

This is only my initial impression of the razor and I am sure some of my opinions about it may change after a week of use.

The first thing you notice is how solid this razor is built. Many of today's modern razors feel like toys in your hand. Not this one. You know you have a fine shaving instrument. As with all iKon razors this is built to their high standards, but as others have said, I was a little shocked that it was not a highly polished razor. The original specification that had been posted on many sites said this was going to be a polished head. With that said, the satin finish is gorgeous and very different than the matte finish that you see on the OC or SB.

[​IMG]
    The shave itself was spectacular. The razor is well balance, feels very comfortable in your hand and is exceptionally mild, yet efficient. As others have mentioned, the audio feedback that is produced is much like what you hear when shaving with a single edge razor.

Now for the cons...yes there are some cons.

Some people have problems aligning blades in a slant, I never have, well at least until today. It took three attempts to get the blade aligned properly. The pictures below you can see why. I am comparing the top cap from three razors, the iKon Slant, the Merkur 37C HD Slant, and a FaTip Grande. The problem is due to the blade alignment post not being large enough. If you look at the other two heads you will see that the blade fits snugly within the post, not the iKon slant. There is so much movement it is difficult to make sure that the blade is in place when securing the bottom plate to the cap. I view this as a design flaw that needs to be corrected immediately on all future models.
    [​IMG]

Price: 4
    At $150 USD this razor is not cheap, for the same amount of money you could a Merkur 37C HD Slant and a Merkur Progress, which have been my two favorite razors. Is it worth the money? That is subjective, but in my opinion, it is worth every penny even with the design flaw.

Quality: 10
    Like all iKon Razors before it this razor is built like a tank. It will outlast everyone of us and even a nuclear holocaust.

User Friendly: 6
    Due to the blade alignment issue I cannot rate it higher. This is going to annoy a lot of people.

Grip: 10
    It has a Bulldog II handle, it has more grip than crazy monkey in a cage.

Ease of Blade Replacement:6
    Again, due to the blade alignment issue.

Aggressiveness: 5
    It is really middle of the road, although it feels mild while you are shaving, you are shocked by the amount of stubble reduction.

Balance:10

Overall First Impression Rating: 7.5
    I am only giving it such a high score because there is no other modern Slant on the market. Sure we have the Merkur Slants, but those designs have pretty much remain unchanged since WWII.

Is this the razor to end all RAD? No. Am I glad to have one. Absolutely. I love the shave, it is very well built, but I must say I am slightly disappointed with the attention to detail with the top cap. By making the post just slightly larger they could have made this razor the slant we had all dreamed about.

I hope that iKon will make a new top cap and at least offer it to current owners that have proof of purchase a deep discount.

12. Nolimit

Nolimit Member

Thank you for the review I had one of these in my cart and was desperately trying to resist the urge to buy it. But at the 150 price point with this "design flaw" I will be holding off. It sounds annoying and unacceptable for the price. The day it gets fixed though I am in trouble.

Azarius likes this.
  13. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

Thank you for the review and enjoy it !
    Compared to the Merkur Slant according your opinion is more aggressive or not ?

14. emmijack

emmijack Well-Known Member

Very nice indeed, I have often thought about getting myself the Merkur"sledgehammer" slant, but that razor is stunning, nice score!!

15. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Irrelevant.

Irrelevant.

Irrelevant.

Irrelevant.

battle.munky and Azarius like this.
  16. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Thank you for a Great review Azarius!! It was "EXTREMELY" helpful at least to me..Not only is the price a bit too high(although, in all honestly if I could afford it I'd buy one)for me. I must agree with "Nolimit", that the high price tag along with I.M.O. an unacceptable flaw has managed to dampen my desire :) I hope you'll let us all know Azarius, how iKon handles this situation for you..I believe a new cap is definately in order for all original buyers!!! iKon's not making the head alone available, especially after making a point of the benefit of being able to change handles on "their" product review kind of leaves me cold also...I'll just wait and see for now :)....I'd also still suggest that everyone email Weber and ask about them about producing a Slant..:happy088:

Azarius likes this.
  17. dcc

dcc Well-Known Member

:signs097::signs107::thanks:

Azarius likes this.
  18. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for your review.Perfect!!!

I will get the iKon in app. 3 weeks (hopefully).Borrowed from a german forum member...

So curious about it right now...

Azarius likes this.
  19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Nice job on your review! Like others, I've followed and anxiously anticipated the release of this new slant for some time—well, at least since they posted the killer image of the blue razor on their site.
    I have read the reviews of others and there does seem to exist some of the concerns by other owners regarding the blade alignment. Is it a deal breaker? Not for everyone, it appears. Some are quite happy with the shaves it provides, and the very audible feedback the razor delivers. Many have claimed it provides a very close shave, not unlike the Merkur slants.
    At the price point the razor currently resides, however, ($149, or 3x the Sledgehammer), my enthusiasm is tempered a bit. The price shouldn't necessarily dissuade potential buyers as much as the concerns about the blade alignment may impact the purchase.
    The majority of the reviewers on this razor are 'happy' with the razor, despite the alignment design. This is not unexpected, but I wonder how many of these observations and evaluations are influenced somewhat by the financial commitment ($$$) these reviewers have already made. Evaluating a product that one has not already 'bought into' can certainly impact one's perceptions. Being 'all in' (i.e. purchased) may alter the bias on some of these reviews—particularly if the waiting period has been a longtime coming.

Azarius likes this.
  20. if6was9

if6was9 New Member

I used mine for the first time this AM (got it yesterday) and my socks weren't knocked off. The audible feedback was nice and the sides of my face shaved smoothly. My neck didn't receive any closer of a shave than with my Weber. It takes a few shaves for my face to adapt to a new razor so time will tell but so far I don't see the slant head (my first) as an improvement over a straight head. The alignment issue is disconcerting and confounding; didn't iKon do any tests? If they did, were they satisfied with the results? If my R&D department did this a Christmas bonus would be doubtful. I'll weigh in again on it in a couple of weeks.