the Incredible new Timeless BRONZE safety DE razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by JazzDoc, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

Ahhhhh this (SB bronze) is more like it! I've shaved with it 3 times now and haven't gashed myself open! Its smooth and a nice easy shave .much more forgiveness compared to the oc beast. I've had some trouble getting my chin BBS so far .its more aggressive than the mamba thankfully. So far I'm liking this bronze beauty.

2. william beer

william beer Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update on the SB plate. I wonder how this razor with the SB plate compares to the Gillette Aristocrat? I'll bet someone out there has compared them.

3. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

Ah that one I can't help you with .
    I can say that my 5th shave with the SB today I cut my chin. Its no oc but it's not that mild either. Just took some getting used to the shorter handle compared with my ss pineapple

4. william beer

Thanks for the update Rhody. Right now, I have been using a Gillette New and an Aristocrat. I get too many nicks and weepers and irritation with the Gillette New but it shaves very smooth and close. I have worked on my technique and it's getting better but....... The Aristocrat is a little less aggressive and more comfortable for me. But now I'm looking for something more modern to add to my rotation and it will need to be efficient and mild so as to spare me the self sacrifice and irritation when I shave. I thought that the Timeless Bronze might be the answer.

5. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

I’ve had my bronze 2-3 weeks now. Really enjoy it! I found that my favorite blade was the Personna Lab Blue, which I hadn’t used in several years. Very smooth, and allows me to do more buffing than I can with any other razor save the Rockwell. I’m very pleased with this acquisition! And, man, the thing is gorgeous!

6. lancelot

lancelot New Member

Mr. beer,
    You say the Aristocrat is a little less aggressive and more comfortable than the New. How about the Timeless bronze?
    I've had a NOS Aristocrat (48-50) sitting in the closet for over a year. After what I paid for it, there is too much guilt associated with breaking it out without a good reason. If you tell me it is a little less agressive and more comfortable than the TL bronze I have then it is going to make its maiden voyage.
    Thank you, Ron

7. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I know that my Aristocrat, same era, shaves very nicely with a good blade. If you don't want to break out a NOS razor, then don't. I picked up a beater Aristocrat so I didn't have to worry about it. Finish is beat up (no brassing, just lost most of the lacquer, and some of the gold), but it shaves like new. I regularly see beat up ones running across E-Bay, and you might be able to get one from the Classified section here.

LOOT likes this.
  8. lancelot

lancelot New Member

Bookworm-

Your advice is undoubtably correct, but I have a bad case of hardheadedness. If I'm going to use one it's going to be this one. Have you tried a Timeless, safety-bar. bronze? If so is it just a smidge more aggressive & less comfortable than an Aristocrat? I'm fine with using my NOS one if that's the case. Many thanks, Ron

clint64 and LOOT like this.
  9. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I have absolutely no experience with the newer, high end razors.

clint64 and LOOT like this.
  10. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

I can tell you that the SB is on the mild end of the spectrum but not a push over. Its also not as efficient as the 68 oc I have. I noticed today. Shave six that it was less efficient and its the 6 day on the same persona blue .tomorrow I'm using a red.

11. william beer

Ron, I don't own a Timeless Bronze but I'm considering it. I would like to know how the bronze would compare to the Aristocrat in terms of mildness and efficiency. I have a very nice Aristocrat that I shave with and I'm very happy with the results. I use Astra SP blades now and they perform well but I may try a milder blade because of my sensitive skin.

clint64 likes this.
  12. william beer

Looks like the price of the Timeless Bronze went up 10 bucks to $130. Still seems to be a pretty decent price. Still trying to get a fix on how it compares to my aristocrat in terms of aggressiveness. I shaved to day with the "Crat" and got away unscathed and a bbs shave. I wonder how I would do with the .38 Bronze SB?

Rhody and clint64 like this.
  13. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

For the beauty and quality of manufacture, it is easily worth it!

Rhody likes this.
  14. jar

jar Well-Known Member

I used my Timeless Bronze today and got the same two pass and touchup PDG+ near perfect shave I get with most razors including my Aristocrats and similar Gillettes like the English #66 or the President or Sheraton or Diplomat or Milord.

jeraldgordon, william beer and Rhody like this.
  15. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

Still enjoying and learning the timeless bronze SB .I was looking vat my beard growth thinking hmm its not that efficient .then I remembered I shaved 10 hours ago
    Lol

jeraldgordon likes this.
  16. william beer

Are you using the solid bar model of the Timeless Bronze?

17. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Yup. That's all they had at the time. But I also have lots of open combs as well.

I meant to add; I remember Billy Beer. Not really fondly though but it wasn't dangerous.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    jeraldgordon likes this.
  18. william beer

Yeah, I still have a can of the stuff out in the garage. Kept it for obvious reasons. Kind of a red and orange barber pole motif. Pretty ugly but I'll wager that it probably tastes the same as it did when new...Haha. Only those people of my vintage even knows who Bill Carter was.