The invasion of the Indian Razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jabberwock, Dec 27, 2012.

1. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Shimming will work on the 3 pieces. I shim my EJ and my Weber.

crackstar likes this.
  2. jabberwock

jabberwock Well-Known Member

I don't really have much interest in multiple razors either, which is why it took me so long to decide on one. I just want one good all around razor. The multiple versions of the Indian razors are nice for the price and probably an excellent way for folks to get into DE razors on a budget (which is why I got my wife a Razorock).

3. bittermormon

bittermormon Active Member

Back in the pre-iPhone days I had 2 windows mobile phones. One was bulky and had a "huge" screen and one was nice and slim with no touchscreen. The plan was to alternate between what I wanted for each day. What ended up happening was I always wanted to be using the other one. I was better off after selling one. I imagine too much shave gear will do the same thing to me. It's probably my only personality flaw, aside from being way too humble.

In case anyone is wondering the phones were the MDA and Dash from T-Mobile.

4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    So that's what a humble brag looks like. I always wondered...
    :happy097:
    ...and there is no such thing as too much shave gear...unless you suffer from indecision.

ninjack likes this.
  5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Since I brought it up, I will. I'll also be sure to mention that I'm sure you got her some stuff too because shaveabuck specifically carries some nice stuff for the ladies so they don't get upset when the shaving stuff shows up. Enjoy the free sample of whatever he throws in with your order.

6. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

You can get a Weishi TTO for $5 on Amazon of course it will be about $10 with shipping. Ebay also has one for $7.99 "Buy it Now" with free shipping coming out of Dallas right now. About as cheap as your going to get for the kid to play with.....:)

crackstar and PLANofMAN like this.
  7. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

How do you find out which products are made in which factories?
    I think I've got several Indian made razors.
    Weishi? News to me that it was Indian.
    Cadet tto14, very nice razor imho. Finish is vey nice. Idk bout the handle, but i feel the head to be chrome over brass.
    Matador elegante open comb. Another favorite. It performs so nicely.
    Matador cc, nicely made. I shave a bit aggressive, prolly my fault.
    I've got a pearl on the way.

I've got a Parker, a razorock German 37, and maybe more.
    All mine perform as well as any. I've got some that cost more, but I can't say they perform any better.

crackstar likes this.
  8. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Is Weishi Indian? I thought they were manufactured in China?

crackstar likes this.
  9. david of central florida

20170511_122404_resized(1).jpg My pearl came in today.
    Shave tomorrow.
    But it looks to be the exact same as the cadet. Not a thing wrong with that, but if i had to bet, I'd say they come from the same place.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    EnglishChannel, Jim99 and crackstar like this.
  10. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Weishi, Baili, Nanji, Rimei are all Chinese. Pearl, I believe, is Indian. They actually have a long history of making razors. There's a "President" razor on E-Bay that's a pretty nice Gillette Tech (head) copy, with a good handle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SAFETY-RAZOR-PRESIDENT-MADE-IN-INDIA-SUPER-RARE-RAZOR-/272644667180

If you look, they replaced the Gillette arrow logo with President -with an arrow.

I'm just not enough of a collector to pull the trigger on that price; it's fair, because of the free shipping from Bulgaria. (if someone wants to pull the photos and upload a couple of them, feel free. I'm working so I can't easily do it right now)

crackstar likes this.
  11. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Weishi is extremely mild. If a guy's beard is very tough it would at least five passes to get a good beard.

12. david of central florida

Weishi isn't made in India. I misread that, and added it to my comment.
    But cadet, matador, pearl, are all very similar in form. They all came to me in the same light blue translucent storage tube.
    The pearl and cadet are exactly the same head, other than one is open comb sand the other a safety bar.
    I hate to speak before i use it, but i expect the same wonderful shave as the cadet (with a shorter handle).

crackstar likes this.
  13. Bookworm

I disagree. If you shave regularly, it shouldn't be any more that two passes to have a clean shave. I've found that the longer the beard hair gets, the harder it is to get a one pass clean shave, and if it's a weeks worth, there's NO razor that can do a clean shave (well, maybe a straight, but I haven't gotten there yet)

PLANofMAN likes this.
  14. crackstar

Again, YMMV is the case. My beard is very hard and I have a Weishi. I shave every morning and have been doing it for many, many years. I can't get BBS with a Weishi unless I do five passes. With my 1950's Super Speed I get the best BBS shaves with little more than three. I used a straight razor for a while and I was smooth as silk after just two passes. If I would leave my stubble grow out for a week I'd have to let a barber shave me. The only three guys I know who have a beard like mine is my father-in-law, my brother-in-law, and a friend of mine. My brother-in-law's beard is perhaps a little tougher than mine.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  15. Bookworm

Interesting. Shaving with a Weishi, for me, was identical to shaving with a SuperSpeed. Blade made more difference than the razor. Not sure what mileage has to do with it - I get just as many shaves out of a Weishi as a SuperSpeed :) Do you go through a lot of blades as well?

16. david of central florida

Today I used the Pearl SBF-11B. It did indeed give a very nice shave. I listed some pif my thoughts on the sotd thread. Past those comments, I'd like to say.
    1) it was very reasonably priced. While I drool over some of the razors recently posted. And if I were affluent enough tho have a 400+ razor I would (or just have once made if solid 14k). This razor delivered a great shave, was well built, and with care should last many years. For 22.50 delivered.
    2) it came in a handsome cardboard box, and a nice plastic storage container (nice if you travel). The tray in the very nice storage was a bit cheesy (room for improvement). But it's more than a new merkur gives you.
    3) lastly aggression, I think this razor gives a very nice shave. More aggressive than a superspeed, less than the r41. It was close, but I didn't have to worry constantly about getting bit.

I like my Indian razors. They deliver, for a very reasonable price.

EnglishChannel likes this.
  17. crackstar

It depends on the brand. I can't get more than three good shaves with the Sharps or Treets. I do much better with the Astras, Derbys, and Rapiras.

18. dapper636

dapper636 Active Member

They are chrome plated zamak heads. Decent inexpesive shavers

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

19. Bookworm