The Latest Replate To Arrive...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by huck1680, Feb 17, 2012.

1. huck1680

huck1680 Great Northern CanUkrainian

Matt from the Razor Emporium got back to me and personally guaranteed the results would be much improved and said he would be doing the prep work himself before sending it to be plated. Also said he'd look the razor over after it got back, take pictures to send first and try to get it done sooner. So that's good news. If it turns out well I'll be the first to say so. I just didn't want a second go round in the first place.

macaronus likes this.
  2. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Which still leaves the questions unanswered... why it was sent like that, back to you, in the first place. Did it come back from his replater and he just didn't even check it or look at it. Did anyone at RE? Will they be finding a new replater since it's obvious the one they used didn't think his work was a problem or he just didn't care? Someone dropped the ball obviously on this job. I've seen many razors from RE that were beautifully restored - which is why this one just screams that someone in the chain just didn't care. I've seen a few duds from them too and this is the worst.

CyanideMetal and huck1680 like this.
  3. huck1680

Well Jody...I just don't know. Youd've thought someone woulda looked at it before sending back but I guess not. Now here's the thing, these guys are in Phoenix which I just got back from and if you know anything about the place you know it's very artistic. Lots of art including castings, metal sculpture and statues, bronzes, incredible jewelry etc. My point being that in a city of 5 million (including outlying areas) you s/b able to find a number of very qualified platers in all aspects just from doing the art work. I saw incredible pieces that had to plated somewhere and a lot of the artists are local.

4. Rob72

Rob72 Member

lindy, telephone is best. I've seen a post or two, and razors are a labor of love for Reliable- much of their volume, little of their profit. Be prepared to wait a month or more, but the general concensus is that your wait will be well worth it. I have an Aristocrat to send their way, in the not too distant future...

GDCarrington likes this.
  5. huck1680

Boy... I'm really looking forward to getting my razors back from Reliable. As we all have, I've been ripped off, cheated, lied to and stolen from...so I can tell you I have no tolerance for vendors who don't deliver. Seriously, I'm done. Reliable is my last outpost... if they can't or won't deliver I'll learn how to plate myself.... yep, I'll do it myself and then sell my plating prowess to the rest of you, s/b worth a couple of bucks and you'll be able to say "I got plated by Huck". I will guarantee absolute satisfaction right out of the gate. Now I just have to start refinishing razors.

Oh boy, what have I done now...?

To be continued...

6. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

I hope it comes back perfect for you. Seems like you've been thru the wringer on this! Best of luck and post those pics when it arrives. This is a good thread,...at your expense... but none the less a very good thread.

7. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Wishing you all the best, with this....Looking forward to seeing some pics from a satisfied huck1680...

8. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

A good example... read their description of the case and then look at the photos of the case...

9. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Years ago I had the same problem with my badminton and squash rackets when I had them re strung never got what I wanted. so I bought a machine learned how to do it. (I became so good at it that the shop that used to do mine decided to employ me as there manager/buyer/head stringer!!)

10. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

You have no idea how often I think of setting up a replating operation in my home. Seems to be a shortage of good replaters. I called a few of the replaters in the phx area, (not RE) to see if they knew anyone that replated razors and struck out.

11. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Replating activities have come under stricter regulations (both Federal and Local) in the U.S. which may provide some barriers for new start ups.
    The last article discusses impacts to an estimated 2,900 existing plating and polishing facilities.

http://www.finishing.com/4000-4199/4125.shtml

http://www.ehow.com/list_6082095_regulations-electroplating.html

http://www.metalfinishing.com/view/...ources-in-the-plating-and-polishing-industry/

http://www.nmfrc.org/neshapfactsheet.cfm

http://www.epa.gov/ttn/atw/area/platpol_fs061208.pdf

I am not trying to be a wet blanket on the thought process, but you should be informed that the EPA is looking for things to enforce so if you do go into electroplating, be aware of the regulations that are in place.

12. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

:shocked002:

13. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

In a post quite some time ago on one of the forums, it was suggested to find someone who replated musical instruments and see if they would replate razors. Such an operation might be more willing to plate razors than other metal finishing shops. Of course, with razors one needs to know how to disassemble the razor first. If you can locate one of these operations, you might be able disassemble and prep the razors yourself and then have the plating done by someone else.

macaronus and GDCarrington like this.
  14. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

Jarreds Jewelry in Phx does Rhodium replating for white gold jewelry. I think I will pop in there and see if they would be willing to replate.

15. huck1680

That sounds like a good idea. I'd think the jewelry trade would be a very quality conscious supplier/vendor

16. Shaver X

Googling on the terms 'replating musical instruments' brought up many results, including these two in case it helps:

www.andersonsilverplating.com

www.leonhardtplating.com

They might also be able to lacquer razors, which would allow the duplication of vintage gold plated and laquered finishes. As I understand it, brass instruments and fittings are lacquered to keep them bright and shiny. Musical instrument stores should be able to give references, and you can bet they don't tolerate bad results.

The finishing.com website might be able to provide some useful information. They even have a nascent forum of sorts.

From what has been posted in the various wetshaving forums, it can be readily seen that a growing demand exists for quality razor replating services. Any budding entrepreneurs should take note, as this is a fine opportunity to get in on the ground floor. It is a chance to do Razor Emporium one better and make a name and some spare change for yourself. Good luck everyone! May your razors be shiny and your shaves spectacular.

17. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

I just sent my 59 Fatboy to reliable today for Rhodium replate. I can't wait to get it back. I took before pics and will post before and after when it comes back.

18. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Anderson has set the industry standard for horn silver plateing for many years now...Almost all the best repairmen from LA to Boston send their trumpet and sax silver plateing work to Anderson... That I know...and they have for as long as I can remember...Of course with all the work they get, their turn-over time is a factor...I wouldn't recommend laquering a safety razor....it's just too temporary at best...

GDCarrington likes this.
  19. Shaver X

The reason I mentioned lacquering a safety razor is that some gold plated razors were also given a coat of laquer. At least that is what folks have written when admonishing others not to boil vintage razors. But perhaps this is incorrect?

In any event, it should not be all that difficult to get quality plating work done. Many moons ago I worked in a machine shop, and we would often send parts out to be finished. This was usually plating or anodizing, and the parts always came back with flawless finishes. Having the parts properly cleaned and prepared beforehand was vital, though. It is only a matter of making connections with these metal finishing shops and then we, as a hobbyist community, should be good to go.

20. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Gold razors (Gillette especially) did have a coat of lacquer that provided protection as well as color enhancing (darker/richer). Some who replate with gold will put a thin coat of polyurethane to provide the same type (better) protection. Replating is usually much thicker than the original plating so it is up to you on whether you take that extra step.