The NEW Rockwell 6s razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Nov 18, 2015.

1. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I totally wasn't trying to argue, and was having a hard time wording it so as to not sound that way.... I'm just trying to say that all hope is not lost. I am still popping popcorn and watching how this is going to play out.

I was ready to chuck them into the dustbin of history, but it maybe looks like they are going to pull this off. If users are coming out with applause, I will probably buy one.

Darkbulb and dbersh like this.
  2. GarethRockwell

GarethRockwell New Member

Hi all,

Gareth here from Rockwell - I've made an account to pop on here to clear up some misinformation that's unfortunately made its way onto this forum. This is by no means meant to be a criticism of any members of this forum, I simply want to ensure accurate information about my efforts to add value to the shaving community are being shared online.

Firstly, in regards to free replacements, we are honoring both Kickstarter backers as well as those who purchased through our website. Absolutely no-one is "SOOL", all these customers are eligible for a free replacement. Secondly, at no point did we indicate the heads would be machined. Rockwell has indicated from the beginning that we are trying to manufacture stainless steel without machining the heads. Our handles have been machined in all versions. The heads were investment cast in the first round (to mixed-to-negative results) and metal injection moulded in the second round, with what appears to be very strong results. Shipping did ultimately take longer than expected, and that was a significant part of the consideration when we offered free replacements to all our customers and backers.

I hope that clears up any confusion about our treatment of our customers. I'm always happy to answer questions and will do my best to check in here to answer questions posted to this thread.

3. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Thanks for taking the time to clear up some of the disinformation and also the initiative in putting forth an honest effort in mending the situation in a satisfactory way for both parties. Got to respect that, on a side note is there any incentive being offered for new would be buyers? :)

4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I must say I'm liking the new 'open' Rockwell that communicates on Twitter and in Forums much more so than in the past.
    Keep it up and thanks for popping in here - we're a 'passionate' bunch of wet shavers to say...the least. :D

Btw, if you're interested in participating on the forum in a more regular way making your own posts about new products, promotions, etc TSD is very welcoming of that and becoming a Supporting Vendor might be a great option for you. Summoning @RaZorBurn123 (mod) to maybe PM you an introduction to the program.

Good to have you here.

RaZorBurn123 and Robyflexx like this.
  5. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

My fiance likes the look of this razor system. If they stay around for awhile I might end up getting one. Its at least on my list.

I noticed that the blades are made in Sweden, are they rebranded Rapira?

Robyflexx likes this.
  6. GarethRockwell

Thanks for the intro and the welcome! I'll look for a message from @RaZorBurn123 to get the "lay of the land".

Great question - we're not opposed to bonuses and discounts as promotions, but we want to make sure our existing Kickstarter backers and early adopters are taken care of before we start unleashing promotions like that. It's only fair - I hope you understand!

Excellent question and definitely something I want to clear up! We picked Swedish stainless steel because we've found in testing that it stays sharp longer. Our blades have absolutely nothing to do with Rapiras. Our initial shave testers have compared the performance and feel of blades to Feathers and Personna Med Preps - so if you like either of those blades you might like Rockwell blades!

RaZorBurn123, Darkbulb and Robyflexx like this.
  7. Hawk

Hawk New Member

Thanks for posting Gareth to clear things up, the new razor looks even better than the first. You can tell alot of testing has beeeen done to make improvements. You are a new company , with new products, the sign of a good company is you always strive to make things better. You guys keep up the good work. Best of luck!

Robyflexx likes this.
  8. jimmy Mac

jimmy Mac Well-Known Member

Well I am on board, ordered the 6S this morning. Made in the USA!

Joef, Bosoxfan and Robyflexx like this.
  9. GarethRockwell

Thanks for the support!

Joef, Darkbulb and Robyflexx like this.
  10. Joef

Joef Well-Known Member

I can't wait to hear feedback on its performance. I'm in the market for a new razor....in no rush however. I like the all ss and USA made. No offense to other countries....

Robyflexx likes this.
  11. Robyflexx

I'm also keeping my fingers crossed it's a great looking razor and I love the adjustability factor but made in USA that's icing on the cake! :)

Joef likes this.
  12. Joef

Joef Well-Known Member

I've been in contact with these guys for the past couple of days by email. I have to say, they have been quick with responses and very informative. Looks like the makings of a professional company IMHO.

Robyflexx likes this.
  13. Robyflexx

I'm really hoping things go smoothly this time, I really want to have one of these but definitely gonna wait on some reviews from some of our experienced members before taking the plunge. Very exciting stuff :)

Joef likes this.
  14. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Seems like the saga of Rockwell 6s 2.0 continues...with another hick-up.

The new, improved MIM-based Rockwell 6s v2.0 was expected, by the company, to be ready and shipped by this xmas. Well, unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case.
    The pre-orders were 'batched' (2015) and then later for 2016. The people that had pre-ordered in the first batch - to be shipped in 2o15 received an email informing them that the razor being sent out is not perfect...and they are being welcomed to be beta testers...

That means kickstart backers can now add a second flawed razor to their collection. Unfortunately...neither of them a final product.
    The final, final...final razor...might come out in 2016.

There is also zero mentioning of this on their homepage.

Mind. Blown.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  15. Joef

Joef Well-Known Member

My daughter purchased me one for Christmas....I got that email today. I am now a new beta tester. I will say that the contact that I've been having with them has been outstanding. From what I gather, the functionality of the razor is where they want it, it's a minor finishing blemish that they are not happy with. Mine should be here tomorrow, but the daughter is making me wait until Christmas to have it. I believe she is getting back at me for all those years that I did that to her ;)
    If it is just a small blemish on the finish and the razor performance is on the mark....I give them credit for not settling for anything other than what the expect from the manufacturer.
    I will post my thoughts of the razor when my stubborn daughter let's me get my hands on it.

Red Rider, twhite and xnykid like this.
  16. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

If it's purely a blemish that appeared in this batch did the email call out what exactly it is you are beta testing?

twhite and PickledNorthern like this.
  17. Joef

Joef Well-Known Member

Just that they are sending me the new razor with the blemish and it's accessories. Along with a code for a new razor when they are completely satisfied with the finish. The did not however specify where on the razor the blemish or imperfection was. I will definitely post as many photos on Christmas for all to see.
    I am pleased that instead of just making me wait that they did include me in the testing. I knew when I told my daughter about this razor that it could take a while and that the original was no quite the stellar razor it should be. But from the way they came clean and assured the investors that they would replace them, I decided why not. I am from a family of small business owners and like to try and buy from them as often as possible.
    They have been very prompt with returning my emails and giving me details on every question that I asked. I didn't ask about where the imperfections were since its on its way and I'll just see for myself.

xnykid likes this.
  18. GarethRockwell

Just wanted to pop on here and nip some inconsistent information in the bud. We got the manufacturing batch in, and they shaved like a dream. Unfortunately, it looked like there were some (totally fixable) minor inconsistencies around the finishing, so we decided not to ship the razors out just yet, in the interest of standing by our commitment to producing the best product possible. It's actually kind of exciting, we've now identified just about anything that could possibly go for in the production, and we've adjusted for it. We'll be able to produce consistently incredible tools from now on, which has been the point all along. We sent out only 30-ish razors for objective feedback on the shave performance. That's essentially the short version of the story, more details are in the emails we sent out to customers and beta testers, which I've included below for anyone who has some time for long-form.

Email to all customers:
    Email to shave performance testers:

jimmy Mac, Joef, Darkbulb and 3 others like this.
  19. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Thanks for the additional information/correction. Going forward it might be a good idea to post updates like these on your site as that is where most people go when they hear about something like this and want more information/clarity.
    Even though updating customers is obviously extremely important - having transparency to potential customers is as important

Best of luck on the new version

youngunn, Joef, twhite and 2 others like this.
  20. Joef

Joef Well-Known Member

Got to open mine up tonight, I looked it over pretty good. If they are going to improve on this finish I can't imagine how nice it's going to be. The finish on this one is stellar! I'll do a write up on it with some good picks tomorrow with better lighting.
    The first shave with it was great. So far I am as pleased as can be!

twhite, jimmy Mac, dbersh and 4 others like this.