The next shaving quest - GEM

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by harlekin, May 1, 2009.

1. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Some of the Rolls handles screw/unscrew and the bottom adjusting the ball end of a long rod. Others have a ball bearing that depresses when you push the blade in. If that is gunked up than it is hard to get the blade in until you clean that part up some. But first see if the bottom unscrews.

2. harlekin

harlekin New Member

I've taken a much closer look at the rolls now. The hone has a strange indentation in it and a fair size chip in it. The leather strop is just beat up enough to probably not be worth using. There are three small nicks in the blade which I may be able to hone out. The handle holds the blade at a slight angle. I'm not sure whether it's slightly bent or if it's supposed to be that way (I think it's bent.) On the up-side, all of the metal (the case and razor) are in good condition and only need a little bit of cleaning. If I want to use the razor, I probably will have to get a different strop and hone.

3. Special_K

Special_K New Member

viva la revolution, indeed

4. harlekin

harlekin New Member

I picked up a pack of GEM blades at Walgreens yesterday and gave the 1912 a go last night. The sound of the thicker blade seems kind of strange at first. It was a pretty comfortable shave, though I did nick my neck a few times. I do like the way the comb on the 1912 is designed compared to the Gillettes. It wasn't the closest shave I've had, but it was a mostly pleasurable experience. I'll probably keep the 1912 in the rotation anyhow.

5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Patience.. a little practice pays off.. those things will give you the best shave once the technique is down. sounds like you are off to a good start though.

6. burningdarkness

burningdarkness Woot Off

Fuzzy is right. After some good practice with it, the 1912 shaves exceptionally well.

7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Fuzzy is right... how did that happen?

8. omegapd

omegapd New Member

Don't worry...it'll be short lived. I'll contradict you later on somewhere else. :happy102

9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Why I outta.......:D

10. omegapd

omegapd New Member

oughta....that was quick. :happy001

11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

:D oh whatever..

12. omegapd

omegapd New Member

You're a good sport...:) :happy088

13. Special_K

Special_K New Member

SE has become a favorite for me...As with all of this, i get better with every shave. PM me your address and I'll send you some of the Pella Gem blades I got from Bong in the group buy.

14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Was that offer for me or the OP? I have some blades coming from Bong myself. It is a great offer by the way.:D

15. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

My next quest is shave creams. I have Kiss My Face and Bigilow and some samples on the way as well as two tubes of some hard to find stuff on the way as well.

16. harlekin

harlekin New Member

I've been using the Bigelow/Proraso mostly lately. I did finally discover that KMF unscented and mint are available at the local Tom Thumb (Randalls/Safeway) grocery stores, so I'll have to give that a shot. I've ordered a bowl of Tabac and a variety of cream and soap samples that I'm looking forward to trying.

17. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

You Yanks have the cutest wittle names fer your grocers!

18. harlekin

harlekin New Member

Honestly, my favorite grocery store is a regional one available only in south and central Texas called HEB (The initials of the founder). Alas, I moved too far north. Tom Thumb is a ridiculous name for a grocery store, but it's there and they carry some decent stuff from time to time. :)

19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Careful calling a Texas fella a Yank.. we shoot folks for that back home ya know.:D

20. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

well, southerners aren't immune either. Ex: Piggly Wiggly.

Oh wait- you're Canadian. We're you calling all of us Yankees? Them's fightin' words.* :happy102

So that's where they get the name!

*joking, joking, joking. do not take me seriously.