The next shaving quest - GEM

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by harlekin, May 1, 2009.

1. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

I'm feelin a little embarrased. :ashamed001

I guess you fellers is still sensitive bout all that North, South stuff eh?!? A deep and contemplative bunch too!!

Just kidding though eh? A canuck's humble thoughts.

2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I should have noted that was all in fun. We do not fight the war out at the Mason Dixon line... well not too often anyway.:D

3. harlekin

harlekin New Member

I find it very humorous to be called a Yank, for certain. To me, a Yankee is one of those people from the north-east who just doesn't understand the laid back Southern/Texas lifestyle. Texas is a strange place, being simultaneously "The South" and "The West" but at the same time neither. It's just Texas (and is one of precious few states that was a nation of its own for a time, which might have something to do with the fierce loyalty of native Texans.)

4. Special_K

Special_K New Member

5. harlekin

harlekin New Member

To further derail this thread :), did anyone see the Texas HCR 50 resolution? The House resolution that declares Texas's sovereignty as per the 10th amendment. Now that's pure awesome! Rick Perry got some serious cool points when he made national news out of it too.

6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Actually from what I understand that does not mean that The republic of Texas can do that... But I read somewhere that they could divide into like 5 states and with the extra senators and such tip the balance of power.

7. harlekin

harlekin New Member

It's not a secession thing. It's referring to the actual intended structure of the union. Every state that willingly joined the union is guaranteed all rights not specifically assigned to the Federal government by the 10th amendment. The federal government has taken it upon themselves to seize many powers that they are not constitutionally allowed to do, but it has occurred slowly over many years (or quickly in a few particular time periods, like the FDR era, a bit under Bush, and currently under Obama.)

The resolution is merely a reminder to the Federal government that the states are still here and at least one is ready to stand up for its constitutional rights.

8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Hey I wear the Grey,,, I am all behind that. I thought the Southern States should have told obama NO about all the money anyway. Except of Florida which is just East California for the most part anyway.

9. harlekin

harlekin New Member

The southern states are definitely leading the pack when it comes to states' rights. Federal money is attractive, but it usually comes with diabolical strings and most of the southern governors don't want the nooses attached to the money Obama is offering.

To the states (like California) that want the money... maybe they should take a look at the way Texas keeps its budget balanced. We have a pretty damned big budget surplus at the moment, while the states that are dancing to Obama's tune are suffering by their own hands.

I think 50% of the population of Florida has a NY yankee accent. :)

10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

all i got to say is YUP

11. omegapd

omegapd New Member

As a Southern Redneck and Florida native, I hate to agree with you both, but it's true. Once you get North of Ocala, though, it's all good and turns back to the "normal" South...

12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

:signs108 So the pan handle is still southern,, that is good to know.

13. harlekin

harlekin New Member

As I was deeply involved in hijacking my own thread, I won't complain. :D

14. omegapd

omegapd New Member

Dude...Panama City? Redneck Riviera, my friend...:D

Actually there's still plenty of good South left in Florida. Head over around Ft. Meyers on the west coast and all the little fishing towns and you'd swear you couldn't get any deeper...it's Miami (my birthplace) and all that big city junk that gives it a bad name now.