The next step for a beginner: Merkur 36C

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by psyrob, Jun 21, 2017.

1. psyrob

psyrob Member

Previous post I detailed my sticking to the 30 day plan and then changed from a soap to a cream using the same pre-shave, badger brush, razor (Wilkinson sword classic) and Treet blades. Using ARko stick and Porarso red cream for the past three weeks or so and I have liked them very much.

Now for father's day, the kids got me a Merkur 36 C and I am using that with everything else the same. One initial impression, I don't really like how short the handle is on the 36 C, feels too small in my hand. I see videos of guys resting the end of the handle on their pinky, but that feels too spastic to me. I guess I will give it some time to get used to it, as the Wilkinson classic has a much longer handle, but has anyone else disliked the 36C for the short handle?

2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Do you mean the 34c HD? IIRC, the 36c was a 3-piece slant that went out of production a few decades ago.

I enjoyed the 34c, but it did take some getting used to. It was my first razor when I started with a DE and I came from using a Mach 3 that had a much longer handle. Give it a little time and see if you adjust to it.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I use a lot of shorthandle razors. I agree that with time you will get use to it. You can probably also easily pick up a longer handle if you choose.

4. psyrob

psyrob Member

yes, I meant the 34 C HD. Sorry, don't know where 36 came from. good advice to give it time, I read so many positive things about the 34 C I was surprised at being disappointed with the length right out of the box and in the first use. I will give it some time and I won't panic as there will be other options if this doesn't ultimately fit for me.

RaZorBurn123, PanChango and wchnu like this.
  5. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

@psyrob I was exactly where you are now, when I first got into wet shaving.

I picked up a Merkur 34C for my first DE because of all the rave reviews it got. Initially, I was very underwhelmed by its performance and found it too short in my hand. After learning how to properly ride the cap for blade angle and not apply excessive pressure (thus taking advantage of the shorter handle) my shaves went from mediocre to BBS in a very short amount of time.

Give that Merkur 34C time to prove itself, and time for you to learn how to wield it, and I promise you it will quickly become a favorite in your rotation. There's a reason the 34C gets consistently high marks. It's my #1 go-to razor and if pinned down to choose only one to use, it's the Merkur with a Personna Lab Blue blade. It's ridiculous how smooth and efficient this combo is for me.

6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

There is not a play book that says after x go to y, use what ever you have or desire.

7. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

If after you give the 34c a fair shot, and you still don't like it, try an EJ DE89BL. Or if you want to stay with 3pc. razors find yourself one of these :):
    IMG_0097.JPG
    Gillette NEW Short Comb. Don't let the teeth scare you. They shave great.

8. psyrob

psyrob Member

one thing I am liking about the 34C is that it cleans up much easier than the Wilkinson Sword Classic. Still getting the hang of holding it though. Thanks for all the feedback