The One, The Only, The Toggle

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Gillette_Man, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Certainly the Toggle adjustable would have to be considered the most unique razor that Gillette ever manufactured. Rather than using a TTO mechanism to open and close the silo doors, this razor employs a metal shaft that connects the doors to the lever on the bottom. Pulling the lever upward moves the shaft up and flips the doors open, pushing the lever back down pulls the shaft down, and closes the doors. It is an incredibly smooth operating mechanism that has no play in it whatsoever. In fact, this razor was built with the same kind of amazingly tight tolerances that I have only previously seen in my British Gillette razors.

A while back, I joked that the Toggle was nothing more than a gold Fat Boy with a strange handle, but once I had the two of them together for a comparison, I saw right away that the only common ground was the fact that they were both adjustable, other than that, the Toggle is a completely different animal. The majority of Toggles will be gold and have "F" date codes (1960), but there are some rare "D" date codes (1958), as well as nickel-plated versions. And even rarer, is the seldom seen prototype that only had a 5-position adjustment dial.

As I said, the Toggle was built to incredible tolerances that give it more the feel of a precision instrument, rather than "just a razor". The doors close far tighter than any other razor I own, and even under close inspection, there is no gap to be found between the silo doors and the center bar -- quite amazing! Another impressive feature is the adjustment dial. Now, I have read, and used, the description "clicks audibly" at each setting when describing the dial on an adjustable razor, but the Toggle, however, "clicks" somewhat quietly -- and the feel is completely different. All of my other adjustable razors have a little play in the dial, but not the Toggle -- it does not possess even the slightest degree of "wiggle". No doubt, the interior mechanisms of the Toggle are far superior to any other American made Gillette razor, and all of that precise manufacturing leads to some really precise shaves. Truly a wonderful razor!

The Toggle exudes coolness, right down to its case, which I believe is some form of acrylic:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The inside is made of some fairly tough material that doubles as a "travel pouch":
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Talk about tight tolerances. Next to a Fat Boy and a British #16:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Additional pictures:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. lamontqsanford

lamontqsanford New Member

Nice razor and nice post.

Do you find that it shaves better than the fatboy?

3. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Nice write up Rick! Good job and what a beautiful Toggle.

4. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

+1 :cool:

5. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Fantastic read! You guys never cease to amaze me with your knowledge and dedication! Thanks!

6. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Very nice Rick! I don't know why I am holding out on a Toggle. I should start setting aside funds.

7. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Oops! I knew there was some info I omitted! I always set my adjustable razors at "5", and the Toggle is more aggressive than the Fat Boy at that setting -- and I mean that in a good way. I don't know if it is just a difference in blade gap, or if the blade angle is also affected, but it is most definitely a different feeling shave.

8. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

I can't believe Rodd doesn't have a Toggle! :eek: I'll get right to work sending eBay links. :D

9. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

I'm right there with you, buddy! ;)

10. eddieb208

eddieb208 New Member

As I mentioned in other posts, the "Toggle" was my first new razor given to me by my folks for Christmas, 1960. I kept it for 46 years and it was always my favorite "go-to" razor. I threw it away 2 years ago, due to excessive brassing, but picked up another in "mint" condition on eBay recently. It's like having an old friend back!

11. The Zook

The Zook New Member

I finally snagged one, not mint but in good shape... just one of those 'have to haves' for collectors.

Hopefully I can afford to upgrade to a minty cased one eventually.

12. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Finally settled on one yesterday. I am tired of waiting for a really nice one at an affordable price. I will buy another some day.
    They say that the adjuster turns fine but the tray doesn't move, hopefully I can fix that. Otherwise, non-adjustable toggle.

:) Nice! Glad we didn't both go for the same one. ;)

13. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

I saw that one, a D code if I remember correctly. Good luck and be careful fixing it. I can recommend against soaking it in mineral oil as it will remove the lacquer.

14. The Zook

The Zook New Member

We almost were... I felt the same way as you apparently, just got tired of waitng. I was surprised there were no other bidders, I've see Toggle's in worse shape go for $115 plus shipping.

Was thinking about the one you got, but had no clue how to take it apart.

Good luck with it, hope you're able to get it working.

15. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Thanks for the heads up. I did not know that. Maybe I will boil it and have a nickel one. ;) (totally kidding)

Thanks! Yours looks pretty nice. For the price you can't beat it. I think that a lot of people are cut off for the Holdays, so I am using that to my advantage.

16. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Boy, you guys are slipping! That post has been sitting here for 3 weeks with incorrect information on how the toggle lever opens and closes the silo doors, and nobody caught it!

Tsk, tsk! :rolleyes005

17. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I suppose I didn't know better... yet... Hopefully will have my first hands on lesson next week.

18. JohnInPeoria

JohnInPeoria Member

Excellent review.

I shall commence coveting.

19. Mojo88

Mojo88 New Member

I looked for a year and went in a shop where I made friends with the antique store owner. She said " I found this for you, It's different from the other ones, it has this little switch on the bottom" she sold it to me for 20.00. It's one of the few razors I would never consider selling.:D