The Philosophy of YMMV

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by The Weathered Strop, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Because to me, it is more than just a simple etiquette when discussing wet shaving. I have also observed here that it is very much a way of life. And I like that.

It is very much in line with my own personal beliefs prior to submerging myself in the world of wet shaving. It goes much deeper than you would think. I have noticed that no matter what anybody is discussing, it is very rare on here for anybody to outright say something is 'bad'.

Additionally, this way of thinking also has had an influence on how I try to conduct my own day-to-day life: on the basis that everybody has a radically different experience of every single thing that goes on around them, something which makes me try to be as compassionate towards others as possible. Another connection to shaving this has is that they both require a great deal of concentration. It can be very easy to lose that line of thinking if you let your mind wander, I often find my compassion slipping if I forget to remind myself how different everybody's experiences are.

Just figured this would be an interesting topic to discuss, but, YMMV!

Disclaimer: upon proof-reading this post, I couldn't shake the feeling that it could come across as a bit preachy...please be aware this was absolutely not my intention..I just like to discuss things..

2. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

I was once told, as I am sure others have been as well, there is only one way to....

Hold a golf club
    Play a musical instrument
    Mix a drink
    Cook a steak

YMMV

3. Hah don't get me started on cooking a steak! YMMV probably applies more to cooking steak than it does to anything else, though you wouldn't think so from all the "this is the ONLY way" videos on youtube ;)

Carbide Mike, macaronus and ARGH like this.
  4. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

At my place of residence I assure you YMMV does not apply when folding laundry, loading the dishwasher or putting away dishes - to name a few.

5. RyX

RyX DoH!

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
    Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

6. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

The Merkur Futur is really the best razor ever made. It seems to have incorporated all the best characteristics of all razors that came before it, and some which came after. Truly, all other razors pale in comparison. YMMV.

Carbide Mike and Keithmax like this.
  7. RockyNomad

RockyNomad Member

Personally, I'm tired of the constant YMMV disclaimers. I don't find it a matter of etiquette at all. It is often misused and I don't need to be told that I may have a different experience than someone else. I already know that.

To say you get a weeks worth of shaves out of a specific blade is an accurate use of YMMV. Why people need to be told they may not have the same experience as another is beyond me but oh well.

Where YMMV is way overused is when people are making a statement of opinion. Why is it that people feel a need to follow opinion with YMMV? Don't we all understand that opinions vary? Are we so worried about offending someone with our opinion that we have to follow it with YMMV to soften things? And, if one does feel the need then it should be YOMV.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

I like that. Of course YOMV. ;)

Carbide Mike, macaronus, ARGH and 3 others like this.
  9. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

Beat me to it.

Carbide Mike and RyX like this.
  10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Doesn't really bother me when posts include YMMV. I believe it has evolved from our culture's hyper-sensitivity to offending others and this phenomenon known as "political correctness". You can simplify it by adding a YMMV to your signature. :)

Carbide Mike likes this.
  11. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

The Cooper MonoBilt is really the best razor ever made. It seems to have incorporated all the best characteristics of all razors that came before it, and some which came after. Truly, all other razors pale in comparison. YMMV

Carbide Mike and BigMike like this.
  12. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I agree. This is why I avoid using that term. It doesn't need to be said.

Carbide Mike, BigMike and Robyflexx like this.
  13. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I like to get bbs from an old Derby superglued to a flexible straw, one dry pass ATG for the irritation free bbs. Best shaver ever!

But, I must say, with full conviction..

Your Mileage May Vary

14. som

som Well-Known Member

So, apparently, in the discussion of the philosophy of YMMV, as with many things......YMMV.

15. Bama Samurai

Some things are inherently subjective, like soap scent preferences, and impossible to be "right" about. Other things, like blade life and razor performance are somewhat dependent upon the skill and experience level of the individual. This is where ymmv fits in.

I try to write on the forum from the perspective of "relating my experiences", and I try not to pointlessly bash something based upon an entirely subjective opinion. The last thing I'd ever want to do is prevent someone from finding their new fave!

However, some advice is not subjective. For instance, a 25 degree angle of attack with a DE will universally yield better results than a 40 degree angle. Physics is not ymmv.

Ymmv for me translates into, "live and let live, and allow others intellectual freedom to explore on their own terms." All subjective opinions are valid in the sense that they are real to the person holding the opinion. I want each person to maximize their own experience, and don't want to clutter the deck with harsh (or unrealisticly positive) subjective noise.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  16. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

There is only one way to cook a steak - medium rare to rare. Anything else is for people who really don't like steak.:)

Bama Samurai and Carbide Mike like this.
  17. Bama Samurai

There is a steak cut for those who like medium to well done.

It's called pork chops.

18. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Much respect to The Weathered Strop for putting this up + everyone that replied. ! :)

Jayaruh, mrchick and Bama Samurai like this.
  19. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

YMMV is really code for " you're doing it wrong, stupid!" :p

20. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I truly believe that, like most everything else, it is more up to the user than the equipment.
    There are certainly products that I prefer and those I find inferior, but if you give me a bar of soap and a wash rag I can get something useful out of it. Technique is key.

There are literally tons and tons of really good products for shaving these days: Soaps, razors, blades, brushes, aftershaves, etc. It is a great time to be a wet shaver.