The pleasure of blade testing

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by cournot, Oct 26, 2014.

1. cournot

cournot Member

Of course YMMV and blades can shave quite differently, but I was thinking that I enjoy trying different blades because of the nice packaging as well. Looking at the wide variety of blades and wrappings out there and trying to guess how each blade will shave every time I try a new one is part of the fun of this hobby. The combination of not knowing how a new blade shaves and looking at the cool (or boring) wrappers adds a tiny thrill to trying a new brand. I think if there were only one or two varieties, or if all blades looked exactly the same, or were in identical white wrappers, and were only differentiated by a number or a letter, it wouldn't be quite as much fun.

What do you think?

Spud, Shotwell and Slow Joe like this.
  2. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I would have to agree with your post 100%!! Simply based on the many posts I've read where a guy will use a particular blade with "GREAT" success many, many times only to change blades early because he gets bored with the blade he is using even though it's still giving a "FANTASTIC" shave. Also as you mentioned it's very interesting to experience the difference between how various blades, while looking the exact same, will work differently on an individuals face.
    It's also fun to set up some criteria and hunt for the "Perfect" blade, which for me would be a combination of sharpness, smoothness and price! It seems everytime I find the "Perfect" blade another one pops up that's better. The search is very much a part of the fun and interest of our hobby! :)

3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I agree too, but if you want to ramp up the fun another notch: try some mint vintage/antique carbon steel blades, if you come across them. They're just as sharp and safe as the day they were sealed, if they've been stored properly.
    Have you tried Lord blades, particularly the Big Ben? Sharp enough, very smooth and can be found cheaply.

Shotwell likes this.
  4. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Im not very into trying new blades. It might be because in the beginning I didn't have the technique so I had some terrible shaves when trying new blades =P

But I have not slowly started to try new blades =)

5. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

+1 but now there are some blades I would like to try in the future.

6. Omelmad

Which ones? =)

Slow Joe likes this.
  7. Slow Joe

Vokshod cant remember the others

Shotwell likes this.
  8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Once you use a Ladas, you won't use anything else. :)

Omelmad likes this.
  9. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

:signs011:

Ladas blades always feel like I am running a perfectly rounded piece of stainless steel lightly across my face, and yet, cut like a piece of obsidian. They also last at least 4 shave on my face, which no other DE blade has matched. They are amazing blades.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  10. Slow Joe

That was one of the ones I couldn't remember

11. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I sent Omar some, he hasn't tried them yet. IMO Ladas are the best blades on the market.

12. Omelmad

Yes Im a bad person hahaha I must try them =P

13. I like trying different blades too. I also like to find better razor matches for blades that are under performers in some razors. Case in point - Shark Super Stainless in my '69 Super Speed resulted in tugging, so that isn't a good match. This morning I used a Shark Super Stainless in my Merkur Bakelite, no tugging and a much better match. I prefer to let the razor set the angle versus me adjusting the angle to accommodate the blade. Much easier to keep the razor angle correct than to try and remember a different angle depending on the blade I am using.

14. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

Voskhods are currently my #1 favorite. I just had 25 more shipped to me so I could use them for my "NO-Variance NOVember." :)

Haven't tried a Ladas... But now I'm curious..

Omelmad likes this.
  15. Jasio78

Jasio78 Well-Known Member

I'm still looking for 'my' blade, but making good progress. I have seen the BIG BEN blades, and nostalgically hoped they would be a good blade for me. I read up, and understand they are very similar to the SHARKS blades. I waited in anticipation till I was ready to try one of my sharks, hoping a good shave would signal the go ahead to purchase some big bens...... All I can say is if I had dipped my head in an actual shark tank, it would have been a more comfortable and forgiving experience. Oh well. The Sharks still sit neatly on top of my cabinet because I love the packet. And I'll get a pack of big bens to sit next to them. But I can't imagine them getting a run out.

Shotwell and Omelmad like this.
  16. Omelmad

We'll get a couple of bad shaves before we get good shaves. We just need to be patient =P

Shotwell likes this.
  17. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I like trying new blades too. Thus far my favourite has been Astra SP but Feathers are very good as well. I like peeling the wax paper off a new brand for the first time; the anticipation☺️. A seller threw in some Personnas when I bought a blue tip off him so I'm looking forward to trying those. I have ONE Gillette Silver Blue that I will be trying too. Not that one will give mean accurate idea of how well they work.

Shotwell likes this.