The road to victory. Fit to be fit.

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by IAmTheJody, Jul 9, 2012.

1. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Thanks Brian. The only fat I eat is what naturally occurs in what I eat in a plant-based diet, and that's the perfect amount needed if you eat a variety of plant-based foods instead of just a few things over and over. As for butter... no more. It's horrible for your body. It's high in saturated fat and cholesterol and since it's dairy, it's full of casein which is what causes cancers. Yes, it has some good things in it but those bad things in it make it a no no.

2. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Jody, please read some of the information that I took the time to share with you. I believe that you are missing some information on saturated fat and it will harm you down the road significantly even if you do get to a "healthy" weight. Butter is good. Most dairy is bad, I agree with you on that especially with the casein. I'll quote a few key things here...

4. Eliminate seed oils - grain and seed derived oils (cooking oils) Eat or fry with with ghee, pastured butter, animal fats, or coconut oil. Avoid temperate plant oils like corn, soy, canola, flax, walnut, etc. Go easy on the nuts, especially soy and peanuts.

6. Whole foods from animals. Eat them for the protein, the micronutrients and the fuel.
    Favor grass-fed ruminants like beef and lamb for your red meat. These meats have excellent n-6/n-3 ratios and their saturated and monounsaturated fats are a great fuel source. Wild game is good if you can process it yourself- but commercial venison and bison is too lean and is expensive.
    Eat fish a few times a week and pastured eggs if you like them.
    Eat offal for the vitamins and choline- some fresh beef liver 1-2 times a week is plenty. Mix it with your ground hamburger if you prefer. Pastured butter is good source of K2.
    7. Choose fuels from the EM2. Both animal fats and starchy plant organs are time-tested fuel sources for humans.
    Animal fats are an excellent dietary fuel and come with lots of fat soluble vitamins. It can work very well to simply replace your sugar and wheat calories with animal fats. If you are not diabetic and you prefer it, you can eat more starch and less animal fat. A low carb diet can rely more on ruminant fat and pastured butter.
    Plant storage organs like potatoes and sweet potatoes are nutrient laden and well tolerated by most people. Bananas and plantains are convenient starchy fruits. The soluble fiber in all these starchy foods is very likely beneficial, unlike the insoluble fiber in bran.
    If you are not diabetic, there is no reason whatsoever to avoid either animal fats or starches in whole food form.
    12. If you are allergic to milk protein or concerned about theoretical risks of casein, you can stick to butter and avoid milk, cream and soft cheeses. Aged cheeses 6 months and older may not have beta-casomorphin and are good sources of K2.

Norseman likes this.
  3. IAmTheJody

Thanks again Brian.

SharpSpine likes this.
  4. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

I can't edit my previous post appropriately for some reason so I'll add a bit more here.

According to Dr. Simeons (founder of the HCG diet) there are 3 types of fat:
    1. Structural fat: this is good stuff, it protects the organs
    2. Reserve fat: a normal fuel reserve -- Neither #1 or #2 when at full capacity are to be considered, or cause, obesity
    3. Abnormal fat: this is the cause of obesity; it's a POTENTIAL reserve fuel but it is very hard to access; it's locked away
    Low fat diets can deplete structural fat and reserve fat to the point of illness and injury. You will lose your normal reserve fat first, and then the body will start to deplete your structural fat. So now your organs aren't protected as well and there are even cases of people breaking the heel bone just walking from depletion of the fat pad under the heel.
    If interested, Dr. Simeons' manuscript Pounds and Inches is an amazingly revealing read into obesity and why we are losing the battle against it.

5. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

You are doing a fine job Jody! I hope you get all healed up and get moving down the road to losing the extra 130.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  6. Zereoue20

Zereoue20 Active Member

Awesome. Good luck. Hope ya see the lbs waste away. :)

IAmTheJody likes this.
  7. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

I only stumbled upon this thread today, Jody. You're doing a great job! Hope you'll be up and about soon.

crowdyell.gif

IAmTheJody likes this.
  8. Conrad1959

Conrad1959 Well-Known Member

Super success story! Thanks for keeping us updated.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  9. IAmTheJody

Finally a new pic, in the same shirt. Still looking rather large even at 330 pounds but you can definitely tell the shirt is larger on me now - more baggier and loose fitting. You can see my face and neck are thinner.

I return to the doctor in the morning for another hernia surgery follow-up so while I'm there, I'll weigh in again.

DSCN3237.jpg

Comparison:
    SideBySide.jpg

10. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Yup, there's a significant difference! Keep up the good work!

IAmTheJody likes this.
  11. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Well done Jody.

Keep at it.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  12. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Keep it up! Good work!

IAmTheJody likes this.
  13. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Ya know, Mike, with your Minions and my Penguinators, we should be able to whip Jody into shape in no time. Certainly, he'd never lack a motivating work out partner. What do you think?

Either that or we can combine armies and take over the world. Ah heck, why not do both?

macaronus likes this.
  14. Gibbled

Gibbled Member

Well done Jody!

I had a ventral incisional hernia repaired a few years ago so I feel for you during your recovery.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  15. Billr

Billr Mix Master Mighty White!

I have just came across this thread today. I must say CONGRATULATIONS to you Jody. I am a guy just like you. I am 47 and I was up to 390 and now I am stuck around 340. I have a lot of issues with stress and with that comes a lot of problems. I want to say thanks for posting this as it has inspired me and I have already been working on changing a lot of the things I do and eat. Your thread has just added even more motivation to getting back on track.

Thanks Bro and keep it up!

IAmTheJody likes this.
  16. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:happy088::happy088: Lookin' good! Keep on keepin' on!!

IAmTheJody likes this.
  17. D_popkin

D_popkin New Member

Congratulations! I been struggling most of my life. I do eat healthy 90% of the time but with my work schedule it doesn't work out so great for me to exercise. Maybe u will be a better inspiration for me I'm just under 260lbs I would like to be 200lbs

GDCarrington and IAmTheJody like this.
  18. D_popkin

D_popkin New Member

Hi Jody what do you usually have for breakfast? That's is my hardest meal of the day.

19. IAmTheJody

When I'm not in a hurry, i fix natural, unprocessed oat meal. I use Quaker Steel Cut oats because it is 100% whole grain oats that are cut - not rolled - for a full, hearty texture and rich, nutty taste. Steel Cut Oats are also known as Scotch Oats, Pinhead Oats (in Great Britain because they resemble the size and shape of the head of a large pin) and Irish Oats. These take about 30 minutes to cook so, as I said, only when I'm not in a hurry, don't have somewhere to be, etc.

[​IMG]

I sweeten the oatmeal either with vanilla flavored almond milk made by Silk or by Blue Diamond, organic sucanat sugar, blackstrap molasses or an all natural, no preservatives jelly/jam such as Polaner All Fruit (seedless Raspberry is my favorite) or Welch's Natural Spread jelly/jam (comes in strawberry, grape and raspberry), which are both low in calories if you use only the serving size listed on the label and not half a jar. lol! I only use one of these listed sweeteners as a sweetener in my oatmeal, not all of them and not a couple of them combined. Just one, which depends on what flavor I'm going after that morning.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Natural, unprocessed sweeteners such as the sucanat sugar and blackstrap molasses are approved for people that eat plant based - but as with all things sweet, moderation. ;) Another approved sweetener is agave nectar, which can usually be found on the sugar aisle too.

For when I'm in a hurry, I have a bowl of whole grain cereals and I layer them to make them last longer - instead of having a whole bowl of 1 kind, which makes it go faster. These are what I buy and that are plant-based approved:
    Post brand Grape-nuts cereal ($3.89 a box at Wal-Mart - Ingredients: Whole grain wheat flour, Malted barley flour, salt, dried yeast, nothing else)
    Post brand Raisin Bran cereal ($2.89 a box at Wal-Mart - Ingredients: Whole grain wheat, Raisins, Wheat bran, Sugar, Wheat flour, Malted barley flour, Salt, nothing else)
    Alf's Natural Nutrition brand puffed brown rice ($1.00 a bag at Wal-Mart - Ingredients: Whole brown rice, nothing else)
    Alf's Natural Nutrition brand puffed red wheat ($1.00 a bag at Wal-Mart - Ingredients: Whole red wheat, nothing else)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I layer all four of these in a bowl.

Then I may add some sort of natural, unprocessed fruit to it. Bananas, sliced figs, blueberries, organic no-preservative raisins, sliced strawberries, etc.. whatever you desire in fruit and if you want fruit in it. For sweetening, I use either vanilla flavored Almond milk or chocolate flavored Almond milk - both made by Silk and Blue Diamond. The chocolate almond milk makes the cereal taste just like Cocoa-Puffs or Chocolate Pebbles. Yummy stuff! The vanilla almond milk gives you that sweet, sugary cereal taste without the added sugar you may otherwise add.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Both the oatmeal and the cereal bowl will give you lots of energy and will last until lunch, unlike processed, sweetened cereals, quick oatmeals, processed pastries like pop-tarts, toaster strudels, etc. And of course they are natural fiber to keep your digestive system working and in order.

20. D_popkin

D_popkin New Member

Wow!! Thanks so much, I usually don't have time in the morning. I'm always hungry that's my problem.

IAmTheJody likes this.