The Rusty Crusty Kamisori

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, May 8, 2017.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I bought this, almost sight unseen. The photos were so bad It was hard to tell if it was an asymmetrical Kamisori, or a Feather type of razor. I rolled the dice, for $9.01 + free shipping, hoping it wasn't too rusted. Well, It's definitely an asymmetrical ground Kamisori, in all its rusty glory. I guess it's time to break out the sand paper, and see how bad it really is.
    The markings on the tang are hard to see, but they are there.
    Krusty Kami.JPG
    Crusty Kami.JPG

2. Pilotcld

Pilotcld Well-Known Member

I'm excited to see how this turns out!! Looks like a lot of work though!
    Can you take a closer pic of the markings on the tang? The first one looks like a "三"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Pilotcld

The tail definitely says "Suzuki"

4. DaltonGang

Looks like a "NO1, with the three squiggle lines" on one side. The other side of the tank says "PAT 798968" and "Suzuki" on the tail.

@HolyRollah , and @gssixgun , as well as others here, what brand wet/dry sandpaper holds up the best, to sanding metal? This looks like it's going to be a long, hard, sanding session

Spyder and Billyfergie like this.
  5. Beadog

Beadog Well-Known Member

Piece of cake! 30 minutes on the dremel, or 10 hours of hand sanding!
    Can't wait to see it, and hear your thoughts. I haven't yet jumped down the Kamisori rabbit hole. :signs136:

Spyder, Billyfergie and DaltonGang like this.
  6. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Kind of similar to this Suzuki........

s-l1600.jpg

7. Pilotcld

Oh man! I thought the Pat was "3796968" but I tried different variations of 3, 6 and 8 for the first and 4th number in the US patent search, but all the patents were for other things

Billyfergie likes this.
  8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I've had success with the 3M Wetordry Sandpaper— broad variety of grits and comes in large sheets (Amazon & auto-supply stores).

That rusty razor would hit the buffer with 80grit greaseless compound to remove a good deal of that rust.
    I suspect you'll have considerable pitting on the edge beneath all the rust.

Spyder, Keithmax, Billyfergie and 2 others like this.
  9. DaltonGang

Well, for the money, the "Rabbit Hole" wasn't too deep.

@Pilotcld , I was able to see everything more clearly under the 60x loupe. A clear patent number, as well as everything else. My camera stinks at closeups.

Spyder, Billyfergie and Pilotcld like this.
  10. DaltonGang

Thanks, I will look for the 3M brand stuff. Also, I do expect some, if not a lot, of edge problems. Time and sanding will tell.

Spyder and Billyfergie like this.
  11. Pilotcld

Nice! Yeah, I was trying to just zoom in on the picture. If it's Kanji on the front side near the 三 it would be fun to see the name

Spyder, DaltonGang and Billyfergie like this.
  12. DaltonGang

Pat 798968

Spyder, Billyfergie and Pilotcld like this.
  13. DaltonGang

I knocked some rust off, with a wire brush. I was also able to get a better look at the writing on the tang.

Rusty Krusty Closeup.JPG

14. Pilotcld

The Kanji says 王座 (pronounced Ōza) "Throne"

RyX, Spyder, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  15. Beadog

Beadog Well-Known Member

Looks like it may be easier than it originally looked! I agree, 3M is also my favorite W-D sand paper. If things aren't too bad, 600 grit is my favorite. I just cut small strips off with scissors as I need them, and it goes a lot further that way. It comes in packs of 5 sheets at most Autozone/O'Reilly type chain stores.

16. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I start with 320,400, 600, 800, 1500 wet sanding. I polish with the dremel. Looks like you just may have rescued another:)
    I hope you can hit solid metal on the edge though.

Billyfergie, Keithmax and DaltonGang like this.
  17. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    It's coming around. Congratulations.

Billyfergie, Spyder and DaltonGang like this.
  18. DaltonGang

Hitting good metal, that's the big question.

Thanks Jim.

19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

And with many of these old rusty jobs, the mystery isn't solved until the outer layers are removed and you get a good look at what remains of the steel beneath. Sometimes one can luck out and find the 1/8" or more of good solid steel near the edge. Sometimes its a moonscape with many craters.

I have two razors waiting in the wings that have a similar situation with "what lies beneath?" The W&B 7/8 is near-wedge so finding good steel won't be an issue. This hollow-ground Joseph Allen has a fairly solid blanket of light rust on both sides where it met the scales. Not indicative of cell rot, but more likely trapped moisture.
    two_razors.jpg

These two will have to wait for 'new life.'

20. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Set the bevel,,,

There is simply no sense in going farther polishing if there is not good solid clean steel at the bevel :)

3m

Hint:

When hand sanding if you start with the pieces (2.75 x 3 for 12 even cut from an 8.5 x 9) sanding dry then after they start to lose cutting power spray it with WD-40 it will create a slurry like a hone and add a new dimension to your finish... Really it will :)

Hint:

If there is ever Red Rust present you can simply "shave" it off using a DE or a SE blade works fast easy and does little damage to the blade