The Shake Sharp Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Aug 13, 2012.

1. iambatman85

iambatman85 Well-Known Member

I wasn't a fan of the bakelite. I thought that it was much lighter than the all metal one and it gave me a worse shave. It was def user error on my part since it felt so light that I felt I had to use more pressure to achieve the same results. My neck was pretty tore up after that. For your other question I think that I will stick with DE's for now. I felt like I was using a different angle with the Shake Sharp and it would be to much for me to try and switch back and forth. I already have DE's that don't get used enough so if I tried adding an SE long enough to really get used to it I think that my shave "experience" would suffer. Plus if I add anymore razors I may not have an SO much longer. :p

macaronus and PLANofMAN like this.
  2. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

Arrival confirmed.. I have a long weekend to play around...

PLANofMAN and macaronus like this.
  3. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

Who gets the Shake Sharp next??

4. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Dunno, but how did ya like them?

5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Eh, sorry to have not been on much. I'll get you the next address soon, but one of the conditions of the pass around was that you should give a review of the shave. That's half the fun. :)

6. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

^that!

7. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Ryan B is next. :D

8. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

:happy093:

PLANofMAN likes this.
  9. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

:rah: Go Ryan! :rah:

Ryan B likes this.
  10. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Alright Ryan B.....could you try to wipe that smile off of your face.....lol

I love single edge razors and I dig light razors too.....My bakelight Gem feather weight is cool but I prefer the 1912 for reasons of aggression...;) But From reasons gleened from these reviews...I bet both these rascals shave like crazy, and I bet that bake-light is a heart breaker...;)

Ryan B likes this.
  11. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

Can I get added to the list???? :cool:

12. Ryan B

I'll report back. ;)

13. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Send me a PM with your address. Just so you know, you probably won't see the razors until after the New Year. ;)

Ryan B, the razors were mailed out to you yesterday. :)

Ryan B and macaronus like this.
  14. Ryan B

I'm shaking with excitement. :happy108:

macaronus likes this.
  15. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Yep.....I didn't think there was much chance of you successfully wiping that grin off your face.....:happy097:

Ryan B likes this.
  16. Ryan B

The Shake Sharps arrived today. These things are cool. One concern I have though is I can't seem to shake either razor without the mechanism falling or the cap flying off. Suggestions?

17. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Have you loaded a blade yet? Makes a load of difference!

18. Ryan B

Yes, a blade has been loaded. It's like the lid on the bakelite wants to stay on. Or I can shake it forward, but the mechanism doesn't want to slide back into place. Was I shaking the razor too hard?

Andrew Tobasko likes this.
  19. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Not really sure what's going on here. the lid pushes down on the blade then slides sideways to lock into place. The shaking motion is just a quick flick of the wrist, like shaking water off of a paintbrush. Sometimes it helps to roll the razor onto it's back before shaking to retract the sharpener. (i.e. razor edge pointing away from you and towards the floor on initial flick, then turned towards you and towards the ceiling on retracting flick. The direction of the shaking motion is unchanged.)

Hopefully that isn't too confusing.

20. Ryan B

I understand your instructions. I had to look over it a couple times to make sure I understood, but I got it now. :happy088:

About the lid... on the bakelite, it wouldn't stay on at first. I slid it sideways and for some reason it wouldn't lock. That was corrected by making sure the blade was aligned and being super careful not to turn my fingers into mincemeat.