The silent untold stories of your razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Wawmd, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Wawmd

Wawmd Member

My fatboy is 55 years old this quarter (E1). Another post I just read was about a 100 year old safety razor.
    Straight edge from the 1700s

Does anyone beside me wonder what kind of person formerly possessed the razor(s) you use now?
    Were they a good man? Successful? Famous? A criminal? A cheat?

I always wonder those things whenever I buy items of vintage age.

jeraldgordon, Tdmsu and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  2. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

There's psychics who have the power of psychometry- reading objects.

Too bad theyre all frauds.

3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I've thought about who/where/what the person used when they shaved with said razor. For me it's about making new memories. Each grandchild will get a razor from my collection. With my oldest getting my birth year slim.

4. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Funny you should wonder, @GDCarrington told us a multi-part tale some time ago. A Tale of Two Brothers, I think it was called. I'm sure he'll be along to link for you.

5. fram773

I just had a thought, would you own a razor once owned by a serial killer?

dscaver likes this.
  6. dscaver

dscaver Well-Known Member

Better yet, would you shave with it?

Dave

7. dscaver

dscaver Well-Known Member

Received a Gillette Goodwill today. While I was cleaning it I wondered who would let it out of their family to be sold for a few bucks? It is such a beautiful object, almost a piece of art.

8. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Well, the Gillette "Psycho" was designed just for that purpose: prisons and mental wards.

9. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Nope. Nope. That is just creepy!

10. Star

Star Active Member

All I know is that I outlived the original owner (God bless his soul) and that makes me a winner! :happy088:

11. fram773

By razor i mean straight razor...

12. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I do like when I get to know something about the razor - and I try to always ASK the seller if he/she knows anything about where it came from.

One of my Gillette NEWs was sold on eBay to me and the seller, after I asked him, told me it had belonged to his grandfather who had been in the Merchant Navy in the 30's and had most likely picked up the razor (and case) in Europe. It seemed accurate as according to Mr-Razor's site the kit was sold in Europe around that time. The razor is beautiful but I can't understand why he didn't want to keep it as a memory himself.

Tdmsu likes this.
  13. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

I have an old pocket watch that was left to me by the man who taught me how
    to properly and safely operate dump trucks and over-the-road trucks. (commonly referred to as 18 wheelers nowadays I think)
    It isn't anything fancy, just a working man's watch.
    But every time I pick it up, I'm reminded of the important things he believed, and how he lived.

He had a little motto that he repeated to me several times, usually when I'd forgotten something or done something wrong.

"A real truck driver is a professional. He knows himself and he knows the road. He knows his rig, and his load.
    You're longer, wider, and heavier than everyone else out here, and you're being trusted with other peoples property, and their lives.
    Be respectful, careful, and courteous at all times. A professional remembers these things, always."

I don't drive much anymore, but when I do I always put an extra chain or two on the load, and make sure the tarp is tied down right.

He wasn't a famous man, but he was certainly a great man.

macaronus, vwp528, Tdmsu and 2 others like this.
  14. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

If I had that on my tombstone one day I would be very happy.

Surprised, but happy :)

Tdmsu likes this.
  15. Badger-Face

Badger-Face Well-Known Member

Some people don't really care about stuff like that. I found out my aunts tossed out my grandfathers razors when we were cleaning out my grandmothers house after she passed. My mother was helping her friend clean out her dad's house after he passed away and found a shaving kit with old razors in it. She laid it on the keep table for her friend. When I started getting into this my mom called her friend to see if I could have the kit and she told her that she through it in the trash right after my mom put it on the keep table. There's no way I would toss anything like that out or sell it. Even if I wasn't into it.

16. fzrider

fzrider Active Member

I was thinking about this just the other day, wondering who might have owned razors before I did. I do have a Super Speed that was my father-in-law's, given to my by my mother-in-law after he passed away.

17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I often wonder who went before me when I play a vintage guitar (60 years or older), but honestly, the thought never crossed my mind when it came to razors—DE or straights.
    [​IMG]

Troy M and Tdmsu like this.
  18. Tvern13

Tvern13 Member

In rooting around looking at vintage razors I saw some posts on the Gillette Psycho's. After reading this thread I'll never be able to shave with one .... TOO CREEPY!

Tdmsu and Badger-Face like this.
  19. fram773

Could be creepier... They could have been used to shave dark regions and you shave happily unbeknownst to you...

20. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

This is why I soak newly acquired razors in dish soap...and then scrubbing bubbles :)
    Especially if buying one of your razors :D

Tdmsu and fram773 like this.