The Stirling Exchange

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PickledNorthern, Nov 5, 2016.

1. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

It is a good scent. I have enjoyed it in spurts. I would have said it was one I wouldn't replace, but my wife has commented positively on it several times lately, so who knows?

2. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I'm a little curious about the Island Man. How would you describe its scent? :)

3. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I am bad at scent descriptions. It is based on Creed Virgin Island Water.

The scent pyramid looks something like this: (robbed from Basenotes)

[​IMG]

It is kind of a sweet smell. I think that is why I like it in spurts. It gets to be a bit too much for me. I tend to dig it on on hot days, and add a lot of menthol to it. It is definitely worth a try, but maybe a sample puck first.

4. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

I like Island Man. Got it in a sample puck, and may eventually get another sample puck, but probably not a whole tub. It's definitely worth a sample puck. That's actually one of the things I like about Stirling. I've bought their small tins, put sample pucks in them which fit perfectly, lather up nicely, and give plenty of good shaves, since they are quite large at 1 oz. If I love the scent, I can get a refill puck and fill up the tin. If I don't fall in love with it, it goes in the rotation for when I'm in the mood for it. If I don't care for it at all, it makes a nice compact PIF that someone will appreciate. (So far, I haven't bought a Stirling soap new that I haven't cared for yet - some stuff I bought used had little scent, but I think that was probably a storage/age issue, and why the seller offered it up, not necessarily the fault of Stirling. I've also limited my purchases to stuff I'm pretty sure I'd like or love.)

Bama Samurai, ob1page, PLAla and 2 others like this.
  5. Yehuda D

For tomorrow I'm looking at GTOT Rocks. Do I ever LOVE that soap!

6. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

Thanks partially to @Yehuda D's glowing reviews, I have some Glacial bath bars headed my way!

Yehuda D, ob1page and Gnomeo0228 like this.
  7. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Now that summer is here my stirling menthols are getting alot of love.

8. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I've reached a decision: I'll save my Sandpiper A.S. "With Menthol" for cooler summer temperatures than today(93). Used it today-love that fresh clean Stoylin feel, but there isn't enough menthol...perhaps there wasn't SUPPOSED to be. I bet I'll have lots still by autumn-who's to say???

PLAla, Yehuda D and ob1page like this.
  9. Yehuda D

If you want the strongest menthol feeling you need to get the Glacials. That's where the REAL deal is!

ob1page and dustmite like this.
  10. dustmite

I just wish there were more scents in the Glacial splashes...

ob1page, Paul Turner and Yehuda D like this.
  11. Paul Turner

That's what I should have done-not too late, of course.

ob1page and dustmite like this.
  12. Paul Turner

Are you saying you want more scent variety, or that there isn't much scent in those that now exist?

13. dustmite

More variety. I'd love to get a Glacial Mountain Man scent...

ob1page, Yehuda D and Paul Turner like this.
  14. Paul Turner

oh ok.....hey, THAT would be a great one!!

ob1page, Yehuda D and dustmite like this.
  15. Paul Turner

I wonder what Doc Ezlovan might think about a soap called "Ice Bucket Challenge"? Would go in the Unscented category, but you get the great qualities of a Stirling soap that we all have come to enjoy, plus it would be SOOO COLD!! The antithesis of Texas On Fire.

ob1page, SharptoothC and ezlovan like this.
  16. ezlovan

ezlovan Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    You can actually make any aftershave (save the Dreamsicle) a Glacial splash just by clicking the Glacial box before you add it to your cart.

17. Gnomeo0228

Gnomeo0228 Well-Known Member

Is this option available got the Gin and Tonic? I checked over the weekend, but I did not see it as an option. I checked another AS, and the option was there.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

ob1page and SharptoothC like this.
  18. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Awesome! That's new! Love that option. Thanks, Rod!

ob1page likes this.
  19. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Out of curiosity, what prevents Pharaoh's Dreamsicle from being able to have menthol added?

Straight razor dandy likes this.
  20. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Would that be called Arctic Sasquatch???

dustmite likes this.