The Stirling Exchange

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PickledNorthern, Nov 5, 2016.

1. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I like SDM for an everyday scent, but it's not my wife's favorite. She prefers Executive Man or Mountain Man. Between the two of us, we're partial to the Creed homages.

2. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I've smelled Executive Man and like it pretty well. But you've hit the nail on the head - it doesn't matter much what we think, it matters what SWMBO thinks! Haven't smelled Sharp Dressed Man or Mountain Man.

3. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

SDM is the Green Irish Tweed scent. It's very green, heavy on the Verbena. My favorite soap scent. The Mountain Man is very much a cologne scent. I would say it's a bit aquatic, which makes sense, as it's based on Silver Mountain Water.

PLAla and Paul Turner like this.
  4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

as you talk about an easy-to-match fragrance, when I get around to my Stirling Gentleman aftershave sample, I'm going to try to match it with my TSD Lanolin w/Russian Leather shave soap once or twice. That would be a leather/tobacco combo.

PLAla likes this.
  5. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Stirling Glacial Spearmint soap and balm for me tomorrow morning!

PickledNorthern, PLAla and Robyflexx like this.
  6. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Here are some I have and totally

recommend:

(I see he has samples on sale right now....)

-Executive Man was already mentioned, and is a solid choice.

-Piacenza - Maybe more summerish, because it is lighter, but just FANTASTIC.

-Autumn Glory - Cologn-ish but sort of soapy smelling, you could wear it at work and not seem like you are on the prowl.

-Gentleman - A little tobacco, a little vanilla, a little musk. Not an especially heavy scent despite the description. Almost barbershop-ish without any powder??? I could see myself going to this and Piacenza pretty much exclusively.

- Gin and Tonic is another lighter one that smells fresh without smelling like you are prowling.

-Sandalwood - Very woody and I love it, but maybe a little heavy for a daily driver?? It hangs in there a LONG time. Reminds me of sanding on balsa wood.

My wife has a tub of the body butter and says it is very good. It is the Bergamot Lavender. It doesn't have a lot of scent in the tub, but "blooms" when you put it on; not overpowering at all. It is not greasy.

I haven't bought any of the lip balms for quite some time, and I think maybe it has had a re-do. I wasn't a huge fan, I guess. They got way to soft to keep in your pocket was my only real complaint.

As an extra, my daughter (17) loves the body lotion. I have been buying that for her for a while.

PLAla and Robyflexx like this.
  7. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

Mountain Man is my wife's favorite, SDM is mine. I consider both to be an "every day" scent.

8. PLAla

Thanks for the responses and recommendations! I'm thinking of trying Executive Man, Stirling Gentleman, Mountain Man, and Piacenza. Maybe another one.....we'll see. I'm going to look through their descriptions.

Paul Turner and PickledNorthern like this.
  9. Paul Turner

I currently have Exec Man and Stirling Gentleman as part of a set or 4 sampler aftershaves(Sharp Dressed Man and Sandpiper being the other 2).

PLAla likes this.
  10. PLAla

Well, the aftershave samples looked to be on sale, but it now says that the product is currently unavailable. So I'm going to get the grouping of 4 samples in Executive Man, Mountain Man, Stirling Gentleman, and Piacenza. I'm also going to try the lip balm. It's fun to spend money!

11. Paul Turner

I said in a different post that Sandpiper may well be my "sleeper". I haven't finalized my choice, but that certainly smells nice.

banks741938 and PLAla like this.
  12. ohbrian

ohbrian Well-Known Member

Dunshire is really nice too. Acqua Di Gio.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  13. Rib

Rib Well-Known Member

After prowling for far too long; I have joined the forum and have been convinced to try out some Stirling samples to narrow down some future purchases.

I believe I will settle on 4-5 samples and have started an initial list but wanted to get any feedback from those who have tried these.
    I currently use Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood; also a few years ago used Art of Shaving Lemon which I loved and would like to find a scent somewhat similar to that as well.

My Stirling picks right now:

Executive Man
    Stirling Gentleman
    Bargamot Lavender
    Electric Sheep
    Pharaoh's Dreamsicle
    Ozark Mountain
    Almond
    British Leather

Again, just looking for some feedback on these scents and will pick 4-5 to go with. Thank you in advance!

14. banks741938

banks741938 Well-Known Member

I don't think you went wrong with a -any of those. Piacenza may suprise you... I used it yesterday for the first time in a while and thought.... man I really really like the smell on this soap..

PickledNorthern, PLAla and Robyflexx like this.
  15. PLAla

Welcome, @Rib! The only one of those scents I can comment on is Ozark Mountain. It was excellent. I'm terrible at describing scents, but it passed my wife's test, which is a big deal! I hope you like it. The quality is excellent.

PickledNorthern and Robyflexx like this.
  16. PickledNorthern

@Rib

Welcome to the Den, and maybe more importantly to the Stirling thread. You can't go wrong with Rod and Mandy's soap.

See below for some input added to your picks:

My Stirling picks right now:

Executive Man - One of Rod's best sellers, based on Creed Aventus

Stirling Gentleman - Excellent mild tobacco with some vanilla. A super favorite!

Bargamot Lavender - Just what it says, and a scent for everyone. I shave with it and use the bath soap, my wife has the body butter, and my 19 YO son's girlfriend picked the aftershave for him to wear. Love it.

Electric Sheep - Strong lemon and citronella. One of my all time favorite soaps, but be prepared, it is a ways out there. There will be no bugs swarming around you. The mutton tallow base is fantastic!

Pharaoh's Dreamsicle - Only smelled the AS in a sample I bought for my son. It was a bit sweet for my taste, but definitely smells like a creamsicle.

Ozark Mountain - Woods, smoke, earth.... An all time favorite.

Almond - Almond, marzipan... Smells like Cella, only better soap IMO.

British Leather - Tried it a long time ago and it didn't work for me, but that is super subjective. It has been around a long time, so it must be a good seller.

Again, just looking for some feedback on these scents and will pick 4-5 to go with. Thank you in advance!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    Robyflexx, crackstar and PLAla like this.
  17. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Here are some non-mentholated Stirling soaps I hope to be buying soon:

Sharp Dressed Man

Bay Rum

Ozark Mountain

Electric Sheep (perhaps)

18. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

Of those you have listed, Stirling Gentleman is probably my favorite I have tried. I like the British Leather quite a bit as well. I have used the Bargamot Lavender as a bath soap, and find this one to be good as well. The Electric Sheep is a scent that may not be for everyone. As noted above, it is strongly scented, but I like it a bunch. Stirling sheep soaps are as good a performer as you can find. Probably my favorite all time Stirling scent is Ben Franklin, even though you haven't listed it. You can't go wrong with a Stirling soap, IMO.

PickledNorthern and Robyflexx like this.
  19. PickledNorthern

Yeah. Ben Franklin is pretty fantastic too. In fact I might just have to go use it here in a few minutes.

Norcalnewb, PLAla and Robyflexx like this.
  20. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

:happy088:

Robyflexx likes this.