The Stirling Exchange

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PickledNorthern, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

This helps me as I sort out my Stoylin Tony Award plans thanks :)

2. Paul Turner

Course I haven't pinned down Christmas Eve as #4...remember, I have to study it, formulate a conclusion. It impresses me that you're crazy about though. :) And remember also, the winning choice will be my FIRST one for 2019. And I am looking at many possibilities-remember my post on the similarity of officiating the Best In Show at the Westminster Dog Show?

3. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Coming soon to a theater near you.

[​IMG]

ezlovan, Linuxguile, targa88 and 7 others like this.
  4. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

I've heard very good things about Mountain Man - that goes on the list. But, I'm done now for 2018 with yesterdays purchase of the Iced Pineapple. You know Stirling put my order in the mail yesterday (same day I ordered it) - what service. Thanks much Paul for the suggestions.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  5. Paul Turner

You're welcome John. Y'know I was just replying to someone I don't think I've met before, and I said "Stoylin"......Watch out for him to ask someone what "Stoylin" is :).

6. john zeiger

Paul, my guess is that "Stoylin" is the East coast pronunciation of "Stylin". Am I close to right?:)

Paul Turner and Edison Carter like this.
  7. Paul Turner

Well....mainly New York City area. They'd use it for both Stylin and Stirling. Y'know it's funny..here in Boston, I wonder what it would be. "R" is pronounced "ahhh", but since it's in the middle of "Stirling" I think they'd say it as it looks. (I say "they" because I never did develop the Boston accent).

8. john zeiger

Well of course this is a Stirling thread - I should have known it was Stirling. May I ask how you ever managed not to develop the Boston accent?

Frijolero and Edison Carter like this.
  9. Paul Turner

Hard to say, John. I think the key factor is that my Mom lost hers long before I was born(she was born and grew up in MA), and my Dad came from the Midwest. Perhaps a "gene" thing? Many of my childhood friends had it already, but so did their parents.

10. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

First shave with the Glacial Lemon Chill and sweet jeebus it was a kick in the nuts. Brought a tumbler of ice and dumped it in the sink for this shave. Figured I might as well go all in.... It started out great. Loved the scent and then mid-way through the first pass, it became over powering. I really thought about skipping the second pass, but did it anyway. It really wasn't pleasant and I tried to get through it as quickly as possible. The ice water splash had me using some colorful vernacular. I will give it another shot after a few days, but it is bordering on way too much for me. I am sure that showering with the sample of Glacial Spearmint Bath Soap didn't help. Loved the scent and like using it, but it wasn't pleasant in the nether regions.

The orange chill seemed mild compared to this. I will give it a few more shaves before making up my mind. The high point was that I didn't feel the superior 70 at all.

11. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

No picture, but I used Grapefruit with menthol shave soap today. Followed with Glacial Lemon Chill splash and some Glacial Unscented balm. COLD!! Really terrific all around. Haven't used a Stirling soap in a while and was reminded of the unbeatable quality. So slick and rich. Awesome products!

12. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Greetings Stirling Fans

The time has come for another......
    Max Headroom Stirling Fanboy Report

From my most recent soap binge, a few surprises showed up. I also picked up some things I didn’t think I would like and was right too.

I noticed a nice new selection of brushes after my order was placed. I noticed the synthetic tuxedo is back, mine gets plenty of use. I also added a finest badger 24mm fan knot, a really great value in badger, I like. There are a number that have a factory seconds price reduction now. Worth a shot in my book.

Performance is always a given. For my own opinionated idiosyncratic style, I am sorting things 3 ways GS - Glorious Stanks, which are the total must haves and worthy of seeking any product containing them. FS - Fun Smell, for those scents that are nice and for shave soap (or other soap) but not something I'm pursuing for daily wear (i.e. after shave). Lastly CT - meaning this has been deemed have not made it past the final Cut for whatever reason.

First, Shampoos. I added Bergamot Lavender and Iced Pineapple. So far I like the Stirling shampoo. Using a bar is a little different, but so far, I like them. Bergamot Lavender is GS. Iced Pineapple is FS. Iced Pineapple is currently the only shampoo bar with menthol. It was my first mentholated shampoo and a quite deliteful. A stimulating sensation any menthol head should try.

Shave soaps. Glacial Spearmint FS. Iced Pineapple FS. Barbershop FS+, I didn't think I'd like this and I'm not really sure what barbershops are supposed to smell like, but this stays and an AS sample will be on the next order. Island Man FS+, another pleasant surprise that has me out to test the after shave splash. Ozark Mountain FS, not knowing what the Ozarks are supposed to smell like, I took thus for the test drive. I found clean fresh evergreen smells, I need to think about expanding on this one. Port-au Prince is locked and loaded.

I tried a sample of unscented pre-shave soap. The Menthol version gets the nod for my next shopping spree.

After Shaves - Bergamot Lavender, and Tuscany have won GS status. Mountain Man will also move up, I found the soap smell tremendously complex and just had to sample this one. It grows on you. Other flavors that got full bottles as Certified Glorious Stanks are, Glacial Lemon Chill, Piacenza, Stirling Blu, Dunshire, Sandpiper, and Baker Street.

Bath Soaps - Bergamot Lavender, Sandpiper, Iced Pineapple, Glacial Lemon Chill all got the first (but not the last) runs. Menthol bath soaps are interesting. I find they leave my skin with a refreshing tingly feeling. It doesn't bother me, but a small word of caution here about 'cleansing the undercarriage' with Glacial Soap.

Witch Hazel - I got samples of Vetiver, Bergamot Lavender, and Glacial Wintergreen. I ordered a full size of Menthol Lemon Chill which I knew I'd like. It seems like the menthol hits harder on witch hazel than after shave, I thought the sensation exceeded Glacial Lemon Chill AS, but was short lived. It is now my top witch hazel. Bergamot Lavender will go with my other items if the same flavor. I had no idea what Vetiver scent was. I detected a deep & clean freshly dug earth. Just the small amount from the witch hazel lasted most of the day. I will use with care and choose my AS accordingly.

The real surpriser was the Glacial Wintergreen, the only Glacial witch hazel currently offered........ WOW! Need I say more! This one can send even the most seasoned menthol jockeys right to the floor, clutching their faces and kicking their feet! My first thought was, "what have I done?" After a few seconds, I was able to pull my face back out from the cave in, and there was nothing but smile! I'm not a wintergreen fan and would love to see a Lemon Chill version. WOW!

Happy Memorial day weekend to all.

MAX

13. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

SOTD MAYhem 26th
    [​IMG]

Gem G-Bar
    RiteAid CS
    Ever-Ready 200T
    Stirling Iced Pineapple
    Drydock lather bowl

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

14. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

I've had the Glacial Lemon Chill for a few weeks now and I love it. It's getting used more than anything else I have right now.

ezlovan, PLAla, PanChango and 2 others like this.
  15. john zeiger

Great choice in soap and A/S Linuxguile. I've got the exact same ones coming. Can't wait to get them and give them a try.

ezlovan, Frijolero, PLAla and 2 others like this.
  16. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

They are amazing! You're going to love them!

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

17. Paul Turner

You say you aren't sure what barbershops are supposed to smell like. Get Clubman-the "quintessential barbershop scent"(those aren't my quotes, but I do agree). All right, now back to our regularly scheduled thread.

ezlovan, Frijolero and Edison Carter like this.
  18. Paul Turner

There'd better be ONE left next spring, so I can order it for the 2019 humidity season.

19. Paul Turner

John, I partially misread that...I thought you said it's getting used left and right.

ezlovan, Frijolero and Edison Carter like this.
  20. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I have Clubman and like it, but the scent dissapates quick. See what the Stirling AS is like next time.