The Stirling Exchange

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PickledNorthern, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Mbg75

Mbg75 Well-Known Member

Are the refill soaps a hard or soft puck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

They are pretty soft. Not a croap soft, but very malleable.

3. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

You need more soap!!!

Assuming my usage is similar per shave and I need to shave 6 times a week, my 9 Stirling samples (each 1.1 oz) should get me about 15 shaves per sample so I am good for 135 shaves which is about 22 - 23 weeks. OK, half a year ain't bad!!!

Wait, people can get away without doing 3 passes? Have never experienced that yet and may never will.

I envy you. :)

Rod and Amanda must really love Italians who love their soap!!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    clint64, ezlovan, PLAla and 1 other person like this.
  4. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

In addition to my Stirling collection - which is still growing - I have a couple dozen other soaps. I'm not one of those guys who can just use one soap until its done. I need the constant variety.

5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I do 2 at most.

clint64 likes this.
  6. PickledNorthern

Hairy Italian here.

I not only have the hair of a gorilla, it grows in every direction. I am more of a four pass shaver if I am chasing the baby.

I go through a fair amount every day.

crackstar, PLAla and clint64 like this.
  7. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I do three passes with some touch up as needed. I could easily just do two for a socially acceptable shave. Since I have the time and I enjoy the process why not do three?

SharptoothC likes this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

just received my stirling sharp dressed man soap and balm.awesome stuff , awesome shave.

9. Legend In My Spare Time

Legend In My Spare Time Well-Known Member

Came home from work today to my package of Stirling!

I haven't used them yet, but the Almond Creme is mouth watering. Seriously, took some control not to want to taste it, lol. I'm really anticipating my shave with the Naked and Smooth as well. You just can't go wrong with Stirling. :D

PickledNorthern and Paul Turner like this.
  10. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Stirling Barbershop today. I lathered in the vein of the video that @PickledNorthern has posted throughout TSD. I soaked the soap (I won't say 'bloom' as some have objections to that term ;)) and then started loading with a dry synthetic brush. The faucet is running on a low stream and you run the brush under briefly and then return to loading. I probably run the brush under four or five times. It made some slick, beautiful, shiny lather. Stirling is great stuff.

The Barbershop splash will last all day. It's a sweeter scent....some vanilla or caramel notes in there. Very different than many other barbershop scents.

SOTD 2-18-17.JPG

11. Paul Turner

Hi Perry-as you may recall, I had the B-shop AS but I couldn't enjoy it much, I used it in the summertime. Silly me-I guess I forgot that when I used Clubman once in the summer, same feeling-too warm for the hot season. You have it at the right time.

PLAla likes this.
  12. PLAla

Paul, you are right. It has a warm feel to it when you apply. I would get it with added menthol if I were to buy this scent again. But there are other scents that I'm more interested in and probably wouldn't buy this one again.

Paul Turner likes this.
  13. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Probably 50 % of my shaves lately have been either Stirling Barbershop or one of my three Bay Rum soaps (Stirling being one of those). I love both of the scents. By the way I "bloom" all my soaps.;)

crackstar, PLAla and PickledNorthern like this.
  14. Legend In My Spare Time

Legend In My Spare Time Well-Known Member

Today was the first day I think I really dialed in my water-to-soap ratio. I came out with the most dense, slick, and protective lather I've ever had. And the face feel afterwards is amazing - my face has never been this smooth and hydrated. I felt like I didn't even need to use an aftershave. I used the "Naked and Smooth" soap as a homemade shave stick and it is one the best wet shaving decisions I've ever made. These soaps are perfection.

I know tallow soaps can tend to degrade if not properly stored - Cella being a big culprit with the yellowing and funk that can occur. Does Stirling do similar things or does it hold up better over time?

PickledNorthern likes this.
  15. PickledNorthern

I have one or two Stirling soaps that have to be pushing three years old, and don't have any troubles. These were also stored in tins until recently, so not like they were sealed airtight either.

Paul Turner likes this.
  16. PLAla

I picked up a tub of both Sandpiper and Dunshire shave soaps on a BST forum earlier today. They'll be mailed out to me on Tuesday. The Dunshire is particularly intriguing because Acqua Di Gio is a favorite cologne scent of mine.

17. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

lolllllllllllll Mamma mia, tu sei italiano?

18. PickledNorthern

Yes, Italian and Portuguese on my dad's side.

19. Paul Turner

It appears I will be joining you soon with getting Sandpiper, although it'll be the aftershave.

PLAla likes this.
  20. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Is airtime a problem for tallow soaps? I was just about to pull the trigger on some 8oz low profile cobalt jars.