The Stirling Exchange

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PickledNorthern, Nov 5, 2016.

1. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Well I suppose eventually, but I have never had a problem in the few years that some of my soaps have been around. Triple milled soaps last virtually forever, if maybe lose a little scent. Other than a few stories about Croapy soaps like Cella, I have never heard of issues.

2. Legend In My Spare Time

Legend In My Spare Time Well-Known Member

I don't want to start sounding obsessed, but my God...Stirling honestly has the best post-shave face feel I've ever had. I'm going on 12 hours since I've shaved and my face is still silky smooth. I've never had such a wonderfully soft post shaving experience. Even during the shave yesterday, I was simply amazed by how slick and protective it was throughout the entire process. I've been faceturbating all day, haha.

I made mine into a shave stick and I believe it allowed me to get the perfect amount of soap onto my face. Wow, what a great soap. :D

crackstar, PLAla and Paul Turner like this.
  3. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Try pairing a Stirling soap with a chattilon lux aftershave.....WOWZA!!

4. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Another question for @ezlovan

Why the limited scent selection on the witch hazel? My (and my wife's) top 4 favorite scents all come from you. Sadly, none of them are available in witch hazel. I have some of the splashes, but I can only use them once every 2 or 3 days or my skin starts to object. I use witch hazel all the other times. I prefer scented witch hazel, but unfortunately, I'm not crazy about any of the scents you currently carry.

I would love to see you offer witch hazel in more of your cologne scents (Sharp Dressed Man, Executive Man, Mountain Man, Dunshire, Sandpiper, Barbershop).

Any chance that happens once your expansion is complete?

5. ohbrian

ohbrian Well-Known Member

Their after shave splashes have witch hazel in them. Maybe just buy some plain witch hazel, and add some of the splash to it until it's where you like it. I normally buy plain witch hazel and add essential oils to it. Except for Thayers Lavender I love that one.

6. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Now is the time I wish my finances were better because I'd love to buy a few new soaps. I'd like to try some non-mentholated ones like Bay Rum, Ozark Mountain, and Sharp Dressed Man.

7. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

Ozark Mountain and Sharp Dressed Man are two mainstays for me. I don't think that you will be disappointed.

Paul Turner likes this.
  8. crackstar

I have the Glacial Eskimo Tuxedo which is actually Sharp Dressed Man with a ton and a half of menthol. The Ozark Mountain sounds very interesting as well.

dustmite and Paul Turner like this.
  9. dustmite

I find the Ozark Mountain to be very close to a walk in the woods on a crisp autumn day. I get the pine up front, with a fresh earth, moss, fallen leaf and fresh air scent to back it up. I'm not sure it will hold up in the spring and summer, but in the cool months I reach for it frequently. I plan to get the matching splash for next fall.

ezlovan, crackstar and PLAla like this.
  10. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I had a sample of Ozark Mountain soap and splash that I used a good bit in December. My wife enjoyed it and it was a good scent for the holidays. I would definitely get a full tub and splash but will need to use some others up first!

11. Legend In My Spare Time

Legend In My Spare Time Well-Known Member

Well, I'm about to go on a Stirling shopping spree. I'm hooked and just want to try out all their scents. All these rave reviews of "Sharp Dressed Man" has me so intrigued as to what the scent is.

ezlovan and dustmite like this.
  12. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Look up the cologne Green Irish Tweed to find out.

Reviews of Green Irish Tweed by Creed — Basenotes.net
    Basenotes › fragrancereviews › fragrance
    Green Irish Tweed, as it's name suggests, smells very green. Like a grassy hillside in early morning. It begins its life as a sweet floral scent with a hint of fresh citrus. It dries down to a soft woody scent, but doesn't lose the fresh green signature.

13. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Allow me to be the one negative comment. I have five Stirling soaps now: Barbershop, Executive Man, Bay Rum, Orange Chill, and Sharp Dressed Man. Barbershop, Executive Man, and Bay Rum are among my top favorites of some 30 or so soaps. I've said this before - I just am not taken with Sharp Dressed Man. Not sure what the scent is but I just don't care for it. I've used it several times thinking it might grow on me but it hasn't. We all have our preferences when it comes to different scents. I love bay rum and have a number of different brands in that scent and like them all. Many folks can't stand the bay rum scent. Stirling certainly makes a quality product and I too will be buying more - just know there will probably be one or two that don't work out.

14. dustmite

I'm a firm believer that body chemistry plays into this. I can't remember what it was, but my mom was fascinated with a certain perfume. Two of my aunts wore the scent, and it smelled good. My mom bought a bottle and it smelled like skunk on her. If everyone liked the same things, there'd only be one aftershave on the market...

ezlovan, crackstar and Col C like this.
  15. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

To my nose the most prominent note in SDM is the lemon verbena. My absolute favorite soap scent, not just Stirling.

16. crackstar

It also seems that coloring also has quite a bit to do with body chemistry. I'm swarthy-colored and a cousin of mine is very fair. He smelled an eau de toilette (Givenchy Gentleman) which gets me a lot of compliments and he bought it also and he said it smelled awful on him. On the other hand he wears Armani Black Code very well and that one smells awful on me. My Mom wears Paloma Picasso and I love it on her, but my wife says it doesn't suit her at all. Strangely enough, my Mom and my wife are also dark-colored. This young lady who's a cosmetician told me that we dark guys need something "spicy" or "Oriental" and a fair man needs something more citrusy or "flowery." Go figure!

dustmite and PLAla like this.
  17. crackstar

Until a dear friend of mine in this group introduced me to Stirling a few years ago I'd never even heard of it. Now they're my number one favorite of all soaps.

18. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Ok, what color is swarthy?

19. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

I wonder how much your diet plays into cologne scents on different people. A buddy of mine eats spicier foods and colognes are different on him. I wonder if the cologne is airisoling some of your own scent as well when the aromatics evaporates

20. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

This is all very interesting. One could do a PHD thesis on this topic. I am of English (father side) and Italian (mother side) lineage. Although I like some of the citrus/flowery scents - my favorites are the heavier notes of soaps such as bay rums and barbershop and some of the pine/cedar woodsy scents. I guess that is what makes all this so enjoyable - we each have our own tastes. Much of this may be genetics.