The Stirling Exchange

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PickledNorthern, Nov 5, 2016.

1. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Gee thanks, buddy! You're PLENTY cool yourself!

ezlovan and PickledNorthern like this.
  2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Without meaning to be picky, the article calls Rod "Rob" at one point. Perhaps a typo, but someone should have checked it.

ezlovan likes this.
  3. DonR

DonR Active Member

Jeff,
    Back in the " Menthol Monday threads" menthol ruled. With Rods soaps I am enjoying new boundaries. It's like being back in the saddle again.

ezlovan, crackstar and Paul Turner like this.
  4. crackstar

lolllll Menthol still rules in the Menthol Monday threads because it has so much new support from Rod's icy-cold Glacial soaps!

ezlovan and dustmite like this.
  5. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Anyone have an opinion of their sandalwood? It is very different from AOS and TOBS.

LOOT and Robyflexx like this.
  6. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

It is very woody, and reminds me of sanding on balsa wood when I was a kid. I like it a lot, and my wife gives it a thumbs up.

crackstar and Robyflexx like this.
  7. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

My everyday soap is their unscented, but Stirling Sandalwood is my favorite of their scents (though I've only tried a few). It's right up there with DR Harris as my favorite sandalwoods overall, though the two scents are very different -- at least to my unsophisticated nose.

crackstar and Robyflexx like this.
  8. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

9. DesertTime

Wow, is that a Fatboy? That looks awesome. Where did you get that done?

MObigfoot, crackstar and Robyflexx like this.
  10. Legend In My Spare Time

Legend In My Spare Time Well-Known Member

Thank you for the help! I will definitely try out one of those mutton-tallow soaps. I didn't even know that was a thing. Sounds very interesting.

UPDATE: Well, its the Castor Oil. I tried my experiment yesterday with a cotton ball swab of Castor Oil on the inside of my left forearm. Within a half hour, the places I had blotted were full-blown red, itchy hive marks. At least I finally found the culprit. :)

ezlovan, MObigfoot, crackstar and 5 others like this.
  11. DesertTime

Glad you found the problem.

12. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Knowing is half the battle.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

crackstar, PickledNorthern and LOOT like this.
  13. PickledNorthern

It is good that you found the problem. The good news is, that (at least the jars I have in my den), neither Barrister and Mann nor Route 66 have castor oil. Those two soaps alone can keep you in shaving nirvana for the rest of your life, and I am sure there are more.

14. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

MObigfoot, crackstar and LOOT like this.
  15. DesertTime

Thanks. I have a Fatboy, but with that darker coloring, I didn't recognize it as a slim. It does look amazing, though. I'll check out that website.

crackstar likes this.
  16. PickledNorthern

Edit*** I also found that Haslinger, Reef Point, Dapper Dragon, Pre de Provence and Henri et Victoria don't list it either. But please double check, because some of those chemical names might actually be castor oil for all I know. I never looked that closely.

I know it would be a bummer if I had to give up Stirling, but at least there are a bunch of good soaps out there to play around with. And heck, these are just examples from one dude's den. I am sure there are tons more.

Plus, you always have Cella.

17. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Watch out for pre shave oil. Some of those have castor oil in them as well. Glad you found out. Might want to continue your investigation just in case it might be more than one item.

18. crackstar

I enjoyed a most delightful, chilly shave with the Black Ice. Tomorrow it'll be a mega-freeze, hard-core bone-chiller that can give a polar bear pneumonia. My weapon of choice will be the Glacial Eskimo Tuxedo.

19. Legend In My Spare Time

Legend In My Spare Time Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for that research! I'll gladly start a test run on some of those. I do have my Cella, but a little heartbroken I've had to part ways with my Stirling.

Good eye and thank you! Luckily, I never use pre shave oils, but I will be diligent in looking at all the ingredients before slathering anything on my face for sure, haha.

MObigfoot, LOOT and Robyflexx like this.
  20. Mike Brown

Mike Brown Well-Known Member

It is a very robust sandalwood. I like it better than my other sandalwoods. Rod's Vanilla Sandalwood is terrific as well.

LOOT, PickledNorthern and Robyflexx like this.