The Stirling Exchange

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PickledNorthern, Nov 5, 2016.

1. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Paul, try one of the Glacial soaps. You'll run back for more of them - this I guarantee!

ob1page likes this.
  2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I might try a Glacial aftershave, but I'm not sure about soaps-unless I spend summers in D.C. or points south.

ob1page and crackstar like this.
  3. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

I did!!! First tried one in the Soap Pass Around box and I was hooked. I think I have nearly every one of the menthols in sample or full tub coming.

4. crackstar

That's the spirit! ;)

ob1page likes this.
  5. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

Order finally placed. It's amazing how hard it can be to take 10min for yourself at times.

Tubs of Island Man, South Padre, Weekend in Malibu, and Glacial Spearmint.
    Aftershave and balm for WiM. Aftershave in Glacial Spearmint.
    Bars of soap for the 3 non-menthols

I should be good for a couple of months.

6. crackstar

I selected the Glacial MITA soap for tomorrow - it would be great to have it come back this summer!

Gnomeo0228, LOOT and ob1page like this.
  7. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

I was hoping it was coming out yesterday but we will have to hope for the future.
    I would like a King Tut on Ice to come out. Pharaoh's Dreamscicle is awesome and I think it would only be even better if a glacial version would be made. For now, I will have to enjoy Orange Chill.

On your recommendations for menthols, I grabbed a lot.

8. crackstar

You'll be a happy camper!

ob1page likes this.
  9. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Just buy a bottle of M-Bomb from the TSD store. You bowl lather mostly anyway right? Turn every soap into a face freeze if you want.

10. crackstar

It can get really hot here in Montreal in the summer. Last year we had the 90's for weeks on end. The Glacial soaps came in very handy.

11. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

South Carolina stays hot a good majority of the year. There will be more Glacials in my future. Just couldn't get all at once.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

crackstar and ob1page like this.
  12. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

I was thinking about that.

How much do you add?

It replaces some of the water or is it an alcohol base and evaporates mostly?

Does it affect lather creation and quality? This was my biggest concern.

LOOT, crackstar and ob1page like this.
  13. PickledNorthern

It depends on how much lather you make. I use 10-12 drops most of the time. When I am using it, I tend to use smaller brushes so I don't have to make a gallon of it just filling the brush.

It is a gel, and really has no effect on how you make lather, in terms of proportion. Like any mentholated shave soap it has the same effect on the outcome. The more you add, the more it "deadens" (???) the lather and needs more whipping to get the same body. A heavily bombed lather acts the pretty much same as a Glacial.

It ends up being pretty cheap. I used about a half a bottle of it last year. I just like it because I can buy the lower menthol soaps and "glacialize" them when I want, but they aren't so frigid that I don't want to use them in the middle of winter.

I also buy menthol crystals on Amazon, then usually order my AS without menthol. Then I can separate them and bomb the hell out of half.

SharptoothC, crackstar and ob1page like this.
  14. PickledNorthern

Just ordered more M-Bomb. Got a bottle for myself and one for my son. ❄️❄️❄️

LOOT, crackstar and ob1page like this.
  15. My order should be here Monday. One plus of living in MS is quick shipping from Stirling! :) Im going to go for the Glacial Eskimo Tuxedo first i believe. I wish I could have ordered another Glacial and Grapefruit with menthol, but I may wait later in the summer for those

LOOT, SharptoothC, ob1page and 2 others like this.
  16. crackstar

I'll be using the Black Ice tomorrow. I keep calling it the "mini Glacial Obsidian" because it only contains about a third of the menthol. It's still pretty cold.

17. crackstar

I'd like to have the Glacial aftershaves sent to me but because I live in Canada it won't happen. They're alcohol-based. All I could have are the balms and witch hazels which by me are fine. There are no Canadian vendors carrying them. :(

18. crackstar

I can't imagine adding menthol crystals to a Glacial product especially a soap. (it might kill the lather)

19. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Dumb idea but would it be possible to send the bottle only with the essential oils and what not devoid of alcohol and have you add it on your own? If it's just alcohol and it can be purchased at a drugstore then it might be a way around the issue. Couldn't hurt to ask???

20. crackstar

lollll Not a dumb idea but no, I wouldn't try to do it that way. Mind you, I've had alcohol-based aftershaves and even colognes shipped to me from outside of Canada without issues but I didn't know I was getting them and when they came I nearly had a heart attack. I also had a package seized and confiscated last year because the sender tried to send me some cologne and Canada Customs opened the package and seized it. :(

ob1page likes this.