The Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Heljestrand23

Heljestrand23 Well-Known Member

Nice, those are all W&B or are they different brands? The last one doesn’t look like it would be a W&B with the scales, but some people liked custom scales.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. CastleShave

CastleShave Well-Known Member

Hey 3 of them are W&B’s the last is a vintage Robeson from the early 1800’s I picked it up because you don’t usually see that type of sway from the spine to the tail. I thought it was truly beautiful and couldn’t pass it up. Can’t wait to see what it looks like once I give it more dramatic scales.

3. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

J.A Hellberg
    hb5.jpg

RezDog, oscar11, Dansco and 7 others like this.
  4. Brickman301

Brickman301 Well-Known Member

390F5D70-2CA5-4C7F-9AED-11EE350D3006.jpeg Just got it in the mail today. I purchased it off eBay. Blade looks nice, very little clean up to do. The scales need a good cleaning and polishing. It should turn out great. The blade is engraved with a ship, on the water and the Statue of Liberty with the sunset behind her. It’s also engraved “AMERICA MY HOME”

RezDog, Paul76, oscar11 and 11 others like this.
  5. Heljestrand23

Heljestrand23 Well-Known Member

Beautiful!

Billyfergie likes this.
  6. Brickman301

Brickman301 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    Billyfergie likes this.
  7. Briscoe

Briscoe Well-Known Member

This came today Koraat custom 7/8 Horn Scales [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

RezDog, Deeter, Paul76 and 10 others like this.
  8. CastleShave

CastleShave Well-Known Member

So I just got this lot in this week and I have been waiting to collect all of them rather than posting numerous times. These will be getting sent out for restore in the next week or so[​IMG][​IMG]

RezDog, Briscoe, oscar11 and 7 others like this.
  9. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Very nice collection of steel! :happy088:
    Is the plan to keep all of them traditional?

Briscoe, Billyfergie and picturerock like this.
  10. picturerock

picturerock Well-Known Member

Edvin Neiström razor, with barber's notch. Other than wiping down and stropping to a nasty level of sharpness, I'm leaving it as is. Great shaver, and I'm very pleased to put this one back in rotation.

[​IMG]

RezDog, Briscoe, oscar11 and 7 others like this.
  11. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Those smaller, barbers notched Swedish razors have such cool, sleek, race car like lines... Beautiful! Great that she is back in service.

Briscoe, Billyfergie and picturerock like this.
  12. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

IMG_1065.jpg IMG_1068.jpg

IMG_1067.jpg

Got this one in off the 'Bay. It was a pretty decent gamble as it wasn't that cheap and the seller didn't show the totally shot scales. But the metal is good. I don't think that it's ever been honed. I'm happy. It will be off to Alfredo for new shoes, and I have an old botched regrind Rodgers in ivory and hoping the blades can be swapped.

Cheers, Steve

RezDog, Briscoe, Billyfergie and 6 others like this.
  13. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

A lot of times, the scales can be straightened. I have done it, with many. Those might need to be taken apart for this to work though.

Very nice looking blade.

14. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Thank you sir. Unfortunately the scales have also shrunk quite a lot - enough to distortbthe little bell emblem and the wedge sticks out the end. Don't have a 'scale rack' on you do you? Lol. Hopefully it will go nto the ivory scales on the bad Rodgers re-grind I have. Otherwise, it will look great in black horn.

Cheers, Steve

15. M14Shooter

Towa General Takahashi Tokusei Japanese Frameback
    towa.jpg

Briscoe, oscar11, Billyfergie and 5 others like this.
  16. M14Shooter

Beautiful Blade . Alfredo will make it a work of art .That blade will be an awesome shaver .

17. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I think your really going to like your Lotus, great razor, IMO. I tell you, retirement sucks. It gives me way too much time for shopping. I have 3 razors in the mail and that doesn't include the boar brushes I've bought or the soaps. Retired for a month and heading toward the poor house in the express lane. I need to get a grip, lol.

Linuxguile, Paul76, Steve56 and 2 others like this.
  18. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Lol, it gets better Oscar. I've been retired for 6 years now and it probably took me nearly a year to get used to it. I worked for a fairly large company and I've only known one person that has been unhappy with retirement after 'adjustment', and he's not normal!

Cheers, Steve

Briscoe, TestDepth and Paul76 like this.
  19. M14Shooter

Dabo 28 NOS Is on it way from Italy .It was made by KOCH & SCHAFER WALD SOLINGEN.
    dabo.jpg

Dansco, picturerock, RezDog and 8 others like this.
  20. Briscoe

Briscoe Well-Known Member

Tell me about it, I have 2 custom builds I am waiting for, after those it will be awhile (probably Christmas) before I acquire any more straight razors. I still have 5 being refurbished so I have plenty.