The strange case of the blade that wouldn't die.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by CSL, May 10, 2011.

1. CSL

CSL Member

Right. I've had that experience in the past, but these are BBSs - 3 pass & touch up, take no prisoners type shaves & they last just fine.

PS. Is the 'Personna 74' a blade?

2. CSL

CSL Member

Shave # 24 done. No problems.

I'm going to try for 1 month with the same blade.

3. revtriplep

revtriplep Member

Ok guys dumb question, can you explain to me what is palm stropping and what are its benefits, thanks.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Check out the video.

There are three schools of thought...

A - I do it. I works. It gives me a more comfortable shave and extends the life of the blade by two to four shaves.

2 - I don't do it. It's a myth. It doesn't do a durn thing.

III - I don't do it. Even if it does work it's not worth my time since blades are so cheap anyway.

I'm in the A class.

5. revtriplep

revtriplep Member

Thanks for that Info, gonna give it a try, my favorite blades are SI and hope this makes them last a little longer.

6. CSL

CSL Member

Shaves 25 & 26 are done.

Blade is starting to struggle a wee bit now.

Wonder if I could return it for a refund?????????:happy102

7. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

Yeah, it's a blade that was made in the 70's I think that had Tungsten in it (the stuff they use in rockets) and blades were lasting 30-40 shaves. They still do. Today they're NOS and run about $2-3/blade. I've yet to try one.

I understand it was too good of an idea and it went bankrupt. Kinda like Willy Wonka's everlasting gobstopper :happy102

8. CSL

CSL Member

Wow. Never heard of those. Will keep an eye out for some.

Thanks for the heads up.

9. CSL

CSL Member

Sorry if this is getting boring...

Had shave #27 today (Super Iridium blade).

Gave it a rub on the Goodrich hone I found yesterday plus some palm stropping.

Maybe there's life in the old dog yet, so to speak....

10. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Wow. Please keep posting your results. Also when you do switch it out, please post your impressions of the used blade to the new blade you put in.

11. CSL

CSL Member

Will do!

I'm expecting the new blade will cut me up after shaving for so long with what is probably a blunt one.

12. CSL

CSL Member

Well, friends, the old Super Iridium has finally bitten the dust.

In attempting shave #28 today, I had to concede that the blade was no longer doing what it should. Despite honing & stropping, I couldn't get through the shave. Had to put a new blade (a super max from my 'dog' pile) in for the last pass.

Farewell SI...... I'll never forget you.......You've been a good old pal.:sad024

13. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

You just about doubled my best run with a blade.

I have an SI loaded now and am not expecting any miracles.

14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

It's a cool story, though.

15. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

That DE blade outlasted any injector that I've tried, including some Personna 74s (I'm wondering if there's something wrong with the pack I've got). I've got some Personna 74 DE blades too, which I'll get around to eventually.

Anyway, the lesson seems to be to establish useful blade life for yourself, don't rely too much on other people's experience.

16. CSL

CSL Member

It was certainly an interesting experiment. I was shocked to find that a blade could last that long. It really was giving good shaves until the last 2 days.

Now I'll be trying to figure out what role the other ingredients played in the longevity. The T&H Limes cream is really good. I switched to Trafalgar the last couple of days & that was definitely a step down in performance - strange that two T&H creams would perform differently, or is it?

The palm stropping - frankly, I don't know if it was helping or not - I feel it probably was, so I think I'll continue with that practice.

The Goodrich hone that I used on the last two days - I think it probably did more harm than good.

Finally the blade itself - SI had always been my favorite in the first months of my DE shaving path. More recently, my preference had switched to Gillette 7 o'clock yellows. Now I'm curious to see if those will last as well.

Anyway, many thanks to you all for your comments & input on my thread!

17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I'd frame that blade instead of pitching it.

18. ourlastdefeat

ourlastdefeat Member

19. CSL

CSL Member

I was thinking of framing it, actually.

20. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I used to shave only 3 days with a blade, but now I've pushed to to 5-6.