The "Swedish" Gillette blade

Discussion in 'Blade Reviews' started by PalmettoB, Feb 16, 2007.

1. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

I love these blades. They are sharp, hold an edge for several shaves, and seem a little less erratic than Feathers can be. I gave them lower marks on the price not because they are terribly expensive, but because they can be hard to find.

2. Will

Will Nevermind

GREAT BLADE!

Hard to get your hands on them.

3. Jfala

Jfala New Member

Not for me

Most of the reviews for this blade are very favorable, however for me this blade could not cut-it; literally. I put this blade into my 1955 Super Speed and had trouble moving the razor against my skin. The razor skipped, and pulled quite a bit. I even changed blades mid-shave thinking that the particular blade I was using was a dud - still no luck with the second. Had to finish the shave with a Derby. I didn't mark a review for price as I obtained the blades with a sampler pack. I am going to withhold final judgment on these until I try them in another razor. May no work well in my Gillette.

- Jeff

4. PottyDoctor

PottyDoctor Jeff Foxworthy of Shaving

This is my #1 favorite blade when I can get them. It gives me my closest, irritation free shave and blade longevity is good at four to five shaves.

The only drawbacks to this blade are it's higher price as compared to most other DE's, and the fact that it has very limited availability. If the Swede was widely available at a competitive price, I would have no reason to look any farther for DE blades!

5. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

darn good blades, but very hard indeed to find.

Jeff

6. Issy

Issy TheMadSoaper

Where do you find them? I would like to try a few.

Issy

7. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

I got mine from Connaught Shaving

8. Issy

Issy TheMadSoaper

TY mute, when I get more soap ready and sold I will check it out

Issy

9. Etalex

Etalex New Member

My favourite blade. I wouldn't want to use anything else, but the price is a bit off-putting.

10. Best blades for my Progress

Lately I have been using different blades with my Merkur Progress. I do have sensitive skin and I am a very aggressive shaver. I don't just leave the setting at 2 and do all four passes. My standard setting is 3 or 3.5. Depending how my beard is, I start with 2.5 for first pass, 3.5 for second, third and final. Under my neck is the hard part and this where I jump higher. It also where the Swedes really do shine. Swedes are sharp, almost sharp as Feather, because one day my razor with a Swede in it fell on my finger and shave a half cubic cm skin off my pinkie. Also, Swedes do get close, as I do finishing passes five, and six, my skin does not get cut up or irritated at all. My passes 4-6 are against the grain. The blades lasts three shaves perfectly. If you were to find the the one blade that was very sharp, high quality, even for sensitive skin, this is the blade. I wish I would of liked the Feather's but I stop after fourth pass doing adjustable shaves. The best deal I have found so far is westons medical online supply based in UK. For US shipping included, I paid around 67 cents a blade.

11. deoxy4

deoxy4 Member

I too like the Swedes very much. They were my favorite recently produced blades. If you like Swedes try the (Czech made) Gillette Silver Blues. I find them just as smooth and sharp as the Swedes and Swedes are sharp! Sadly they aren't made any more but are currently available at $20/100. I get 5 close irritation free shaves easily from each blade. These blades match the performance of some of the great blades of the '70s like the Schick Krona and Gillette Spoilers at a fraction of the current market cost.