The Toggle Thread (TTT)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Sparrow, Jan 16, 2017.

1. spot705

spot705 Active Member

Getting the outer packaging is rarer than the razor itself!
    Carefully store that flimsy box.
    Mine is missing the instructions, too.
    Is there a source for just the instructions?

mrchick and RyX like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

I only have 1960 English & German
    1960 Toggle english.jpg 1960 Toggle german.jpg

Angelo85, mrchick and LOOT like this.
  3. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

I'd imagine a copy could be found on Conti's gilletteadjustables.com

As for originals....

4. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

RyX likes this.
  5. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

Very nice.
    Can someone share the production # \ year chart? Thanks

6. RyX

RyX DoH!

That is, I only have a digital copy of the instructions. I don't own a Toggle. Yet.

LOOT likes this.
  7. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

Quick update. RazorPlate is processing my order. 4 pieces total (one is an Aristocrat for my brother). The Chrome Toggle is first up and in the stripping tank now! Inching a little closer to the finish line.

Bookworm and RyX like this.
  8. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

You pointed out the instructions were from 1960. What are the differences from the 1958 set? I'd like to know how to distinguish them. I didn't see any Gillette printed dates.

RyX likes this.
  9. RyX

RyX DoH!

@jimjo1031 did the Internet Leg Work gathering the instruction sheets. The upper image is labeled "1960-toggle-english.jpg"
    I downloaded his Zip file that contained 24 MB of 90 different files from 1904 to 1970 model Gillette razors.
    (Jim's thread with links is HERE)

LOOT likes this.
  10. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

That...is awesome. I'll have to send Jim an attaboy. Thanks for the heads up.

No 1958 Toggle instructions...hmmm.

One other oddity about Toggle packaging. If you find one with the original box, on the back it tells you how many blades come with it. Mine "unused" razor matches. 10 Blue Blades...wrapped. Some boxes says there are 20 blades.

I only noticed studying other "unused" sets on Ebay with 10 blades...but the box says 20

11. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

In fact, if you go look at the Toggle that you can be assured is listed on ebay (the $1500 museum piece) it's packaging says 20 but the contents are 10.

The razor may have never been touched as advertised but blades have been replaced... Or Gillette packaged it wrong.

Makes me giggle a little. Especially asking 3x it's value.

RyX likes this.
  12. RyX

RyX DoH!

Um, nope. If I ever own a Toggle it will be one of those miracle stories about finding one in the wild for a ridiculously cheap price. I've been spoiled by my luck at finding functional #195's for between $5 - $20. Until then I'll live vicariously through the photos and videos y'all post!

13. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

I hear ya. I gave up on finding one in the wild and because I really wanted one...I bought it. Now I have 4 and none to shave with at the moment. 2 cased sets that are on a shelf and 2 at RazorPlate.

Interestingly it looks like the museum quality one on Ebay just got cut to $750...

Demidog and RyX like this.
  14. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

SOTD[​IMG]

Demidog, RyX, Karl G and 1 other person like this.
  15. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

That's a poster, son. Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

But now you have to tell me how the Chrome shaves. Any different than other toggles/adjustables. Which other toggles do you own/drive?

You can't post a pic like that and run.

RyX and Karl G like this.
  16. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Sorry
    It's actually not a chrome. That is just the lighting. I have two toggles, the other one is cased, but not NOS. They both shave the same. This one gave me a three pass BBS set on eight with a Feather blade.
    Have fun!

Demidog, RyX, Karl G and 1 other person like this.
  17. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

A couple things. I had a mint set of Toggle instructions show up today. I'm surprised how small they are. Explains how they seem to disappear even from NOS sets. So....my D1 from Razorplate has everything but the foil price tag. I can live without that.

Speaking of RazorPlate, what great customer service. I'm not special, so I assume everyone gets the same treatment. I can tell you for the $100 or so he charges to replate...he has spent $200 in time keeping me informed. I copied part of the e-mail below. I snipped the part about the Flea Bites on the Aristocrat for brevity...but if anyone want's to read the rather in-depth explanation...I'll be glad to add.

RazorPlate and CAP have made this hobby quite fun. And...we inch a little closer to having 3 pristine examples in my grubby mitts.

Also, a mint set of Toggle instructions showed up yesterday. The only thing I am missing from the set is the foil price tag and I can live without that. The D1 RazorPlate sends back now has it's accoutrements. A nice, brand new case, instructions, warranty card, and blades.

Update:

I almost have your Chrome Toggle finished. It simply needs post-plating clean up and to pass QC.

75% of your "regular" Toggle is now plated in its bright nickel foundation. The balance will likely get nickel plating tonight. The new 24K gold will be plated over this foundation.

Your Model 195 Fatty is in the nickel stripping tank. Once back to bare brass, it will need "body work", cleaning and prep before plating in a bright nickel foundation - with its final rhodium being plated over the nickel foundation.

I have now stripped the lacquer from your brother's Aristocrat. Its original plating has not yet been touched.

I wanted to make you aware of some "flea bite issues" that I have discovered on it. <snip>

Demidog and RyX like this.
  18. McHale

McHale Well-Known Member

Chris at RazorPlate is great. I sent him an email asking about getting something plated that wasn't a razor. He explained the process, the risks to the item depending on what the metal is as well as the risk to his equipment if what I send him is not what I think it is metal-wise. His emails are very detailed, very polite, and very professional.

As a comparison, I sent in a favorite watch to be cleaned. It was $1500 new in the early 90's and still commands a high price on the used market. The price for a simple cleaning and 2 new seals? $200. It was like pulling teeth to get information from the place that did it, it took way longer than it should have, and I swear had I not sent an email asking if it was done yet they'd still have it. They simply didn't care whether they finished it or communicated to me. Don't get me wrong, they did good work but they could have done a few simple things to make me a happy customer. Chris is the complete opposite and not trying to make a living doing this. I think he does it more of a service for us and basically is being reimbursed for time and expenses.

LOOT and Demidog like this.
  19. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

Same here with Chris' emails. He has told me putting exceptional pieces of equipment into the hands of those who truly appreciate them is his reward.

CAP is the same way. How else could you charge $50 for something that took 4 hours to disassemble? And he still has put it back together and calibrate.

20. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

I got an e-mail from CAP. My pieces are almost finished. D-3 Fatboy in Rhodium, D-1 Toggle in 24k, and an F4 Nickel Toggle in original Nickel. The Nickel still needs some trim work but it is together and fully functional.

It took CAP 4 hours to disassemble the Nickel and judging from his e-mail...at least that much to re-assemble. It was a nightmare, I'm glad he was the one to handle my work. The man is an artisan. I'll be glad to post the e-mail to PM to individuals. He goes into a little detail on why it was so hard.

These are the last 2 Toggles to come out of RazorPlate and the first Nickel either man had done. I'm a lucky boy.

upload_2017-7-29_8-44-20.jpeg
    upload_2017-7-29_8-46-59.jpeg
    upload_2017-7-29_8-45-39.jpeg

Recklesstr, twhite, RyX and 2 others like this.