The "what is" and " how to" thread for the Rolls Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by gregindallas, Mar 10, 2011.

1. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

That's neat!

And I'm glad you got it working again!

2. Rapidray

Rapidray Well-Known Member

A great thread for sure. I have gained a lot of great information from here. Here is family photo of my collection. Think I have 3 more coming and bidding on another. ;)
    [​IMG]

Hodge, 178-bplatoon and macaronus like this.
  3. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

oooh.gif

Rapidray likes this.
  4. Rio Bravo

Rio Bravo Well-Known Member

I nearly bought one of these on Sunday. Decided against it as I was a little confused. If anyone in the uk is interested in purchasing one there is one available in an antique shop in Rochester (Kent/Midway) not sure how much but is certainly in good condition. I think I will stick to straight cuts, shavette and DE for now.

macaronus likes this.
  5. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

Found today: image.jpg $19.50 too much? Has the stone, leather and instructions along with a nice hard case

gorgo2 and macaronus like this.
  6. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Go, go, go, go, GOOOOOO! :happy088:
    drivecar.gif

(and send it to me!)
    :D

7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

If the blade edge isn't chipped (they sometimes are), the stone is intact and leather is in reasonably good shape, it's an unbeatable steal.

macaronus and Joelio like this.
  8. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

Got it (paid over the phone, they're holding it in the back since its 40mins from where I live but only 10 from where I work!). I'll be picking it up tomorrow!

macaronus likes this.
  9. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Let us know how you like it!

10. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

Here it is! Any info in this particular model?
    image.jpg I'll add more pictures when I get home, apparently the ones I took were too large.

178-bplatoon, macaronus and gorgo2 like this.
  11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I think it's the same as mine (except mine came in a cardboardy box with the same lining), but I never did know what model mine is. It's a good'un, though.

12. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

image.jpg image.jpg

mrchick likes this.
  13. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Very nice!

14. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Looks to be in nearly mint condition. Well done!

It looks to me like an 'Imperial no.1' (the handle looks like the telescopic type.
    Some more info:

15. ryuge84

ryuge84 New Member

I believe that I have a third style Rolls Razor handle for the blade. It actually has a spring loaded BB in the handle. It is rather hard to attach to the wedge blade. As everyone should know heating metal causes the metal to expand. Found out hard way when the BB shot across the room. Like to have never located it after bouncing around all over the place. Pressed back into place and good to go now.

macaronus likes this.
  16. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Glad you found the BB and were able to reinstall it!

The Imperial no. 1 has a spring loaded BB as well. The picture shows the handle in the extended 'position'. Normally you should be able to slide it in. Unless it is corroded tight of course. ;) I'll see if I can post pics of my handles tomorrow, so you can see what I mean. :)

17. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

You may be right indeed! I checked my handles (and took pics) zo you can see for yourself:

Both handles as they look at first glance:
    Rolls handles 01.jpg

The top one slides in and the bottom one has a screw tight handle.
    Rolls handles 02.jpg

The small one can be put away thus so it doesn't rattle in the box:
    Rolls handles 03.jpg

178-bplatoon likes this.
  18. Cap7597

Cap7597 Well-Known Member

Great thread!!

macaronus likes this.
  19. John8

John8 Member

I have had a Rolls for a long time but never used it. More of an interesting thing to have. Then I picked up one in really good condition a few years ago, very cheap, and still never used it. Finally for some reason, which I am not totally aware of, I decided to try it out. I came here by chance, read through this thread, started getting the blade in condition, gah. . what a job. Finally today after adjusting the tension (taking it apart) cleaning up the gears and lubing, conditioning the strop after cleaning it and the stone, I got to work. Today I also received some good shaving cream as I normally just use soap but that wasn't doing it and a good brush. Stropped some more and got a shave like I used to get when I would get a straight razor shave years ago. Still need to condition the blade a little more but in all, enjoyable.

The case, I polished up and it came out very well, looking new, no scratches or wear marks. Who would have figured after all these years?! :^)

I will add that when people say they can't get a good shave with this razor, their technique is wrong and they have to spend more time on the blade and in a way, get to know when it is getting that clean smooth edge as it is easy to have nicks that you can't see until you use a loop. Hone it down past those nicks, finish with a lot of stropping and away you go.

macaronus likes this.
  20. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Glad you like it! :happy088: