The "Which blade is best?" or "I'm new, tell me which blade to buy." thread

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Dridecker, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

As of the time of this writing I've been a member of TSD for right around a year and a half, and this question seems to be one of the most asked newbie questions that I've come across, so in the interest of helping the new wetshaver out, I'll once and for all give the definitive answer right here and now.

The answer to that question is very simple: "I can't answer that!"

Why? Because even though that may seem like a simple question (and it is), the answer is nonexistent, there is no way I can tell you what blade is best for your face.

See how I worded that answer? I said your face, and that's the key!

Your face is the big variable in this question, and since blade brands act differently with every face and whisker type, there is absolutely no way any of the fine members on the board can guarantee which blade brand is for you. Oh sure we can make recommendations about what has worked for us, what we liked or hated, but in the end the choice of blade brand comes down to the mug that looks back at you when you shave, plain and simple.

In fact, this question has been asked and polled so many times, that I've read that some very polite and extraordinarily helpful members are just going to flat out refuse to answer the question anymore.

So the answer to the question really becomes, "Buy a blade sampler pack!", and buy one with as many brands as you can afford. Work your way through them and in the end, or maybe sooner, you'll usually find a brand that works for you.

For further reading I'd recommend Leisureguy's "A disquisition on blade sampler packs".

Looking for blade sampler pack? The Shave Den Shop is now carrying them, along with the stores that are listed in the "Blade Sample Packs" thread.

Below I'll list just a few threads that point out the wildly varying answers to any blade question:

What is Your Current Favorite DE Blade?

Sharper blades

Your worst blade

finding the perfect blade

Help a noob choose blade brand for 1st shave using open comb DE with a poll included.

Shellbriar, Cyanshine and fishcrow like this.
  2. harpman

harpman New Member

So what you're saying is "YMMV"?

;)

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Thank you, Bill. I applaud you.:happy096:

4. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Now if we can get one for which razor should I buy! :happy102:

5. sffone

sffone Member

After which we'll do one to address the question, "Which is better, soap or cream?," followed by "Which is better, boar or badger?":happy102:

6. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

That's easy. The second best blade is the one you would've chosen if you didn't choose the best blade :D

7. thanx..... :D ahahahhahahah

8. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

+1
    You read my mind!:eek:

9. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

While you may not be able to tell folks what is best for them, you can tell them what works best for you. By itself, not much use to anybody but you. Taken in conjunction with what other shavers report, it may be quite helpful.

When I started traditional wetshaving, I had the same question as a lot of guys - which blade is best, or at least which blades are good? Instead of ordering a sampler, I created my own by ordering various blade packs. These were primarily blades that received kudos from a large number of shavers and criticism from few. The majority of the blades worked out quite well, although some did not. While there is no guarantee, it appears to me that if lots of guys like a blade and few hate it, it has a better than average chance of working for me. Conversely, if many wetshavers dislike a blade and few endorse it, it is unlikely to give satisfactory shaves. This has held true for me over the course of trying some 40+ blades. It is a matter of percentages, though, not absolute guarantees. As such, this approach would merely indicate which blades to try first rather than which blades to evaluate in the long run.

Just my observations, for what they are worth, and very much IMHO.

Double Edge Dougy likes this.
  10. ThisSceptredIsle

ThisSceptredIsle New Member

It is useful as a relative newbie to get a heads up from more experienced users on which ones are sharper and better saved for when you have got a few months of DE shaving under your belt.

11. swarden43

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. All blades are sharp and will cut you if you're not careful. After all, they are designed for that. If you pay attention to the rules: no pressure, go slow, no pressure, watch the angle, no pressure, short strokes, no pressure, no slicing motions, no pressure.

But that's me.

12. rockrabbit

rockrabbit Member

:signs011:

Get the no pressure hint?

biggest mistake is applying pressure!

13. newb

newb Resident Newb

Why not create a sticky for this type of post ?

These are a common question from new shavers. There are some members here that hate these threads and voice their opinion. That gives a negative impression to the shave den. ( it doesn't seem too helpful to the new shaver's ) Having it's own sticky would solve the problem. Personally, I enjoy and value the the input of other members, even though it's a YMMV question that's been asked before. Because of these threads I've tried products that I would not have ever considered. But of coarse YMMV.

14. sffone

sffone Member

+1 Well said. I wholeheartedly agree. Such questions as "Which blade is best?" may be oft-repeated; but, nevertheless, to the newbie they're very important. And if a member doesn't want to participate, that's his (or her) option -- we just shouldn't rain on the parade of other folks. Personally, I enjoy them.

15. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    This thread is a sticky. Well, part of a sticky anyways.

Also, if people don't ask these questions, the forum would die. Active discussions keep the forum alive.

178-bplatoon, Norseman and DLreno like this.
  16. swarden43

:signs120:

17. azshaver

azshaver Member

There is no substitute for a sample pack of blades. I successfully use blade others hate and I hate blades others have sworn by.
    Different blades work with different razors also.
    The same goes for shaving soaps, (yes, I like Williams).

18. bordeaaj

bordeaaj New Member

My worthless 2 cents? I emphatically agree with swarden... I always heard growing up (boy scouts, etc) that the safest knife is the sharpest knife...you are less likely to cut yourself with a sharp knife than a less sharp or dull one because less pressure is needed to cut. Several extremely helpful experienced forum members and vendors advised me (and several other noobie members) not to worry about the dire warnings of those they called the "forum fearmongers". They said it would take about the same amount of time (and nicks) to learn DE shaving using any blade so you might as well start with the sharpest. So, 6 years ago, based on their advice, I (and many others on the shaving forums) learned DE shaving on Feather blades...specifically for me, a Slant/Feather combo. Just as predicted, it took a week or so and I haven't looked back. There's no fear now when trying new blades or razors. I don't claim to be an expert by any means, but this advice worked so well for me I've helped a handful of friends and my own father (now close to 70) convert to DE starting using the same advice with the same results.

Some guys are advised to start with the most mild razor paired with the most mild blade, perfecting technique, blade angles, pressures, etc before moving to the next less mild blade where they modify technique, angles, pressures for that blade, unlearning muscle memory they feel don't transfer from the last blade...and so on and so on...until finally moving with fear and trepidation to the reportedly bloodthirsty Feathers months or even years later. The vendors and forum members who advised me were very experienced DE shavers said that learning that way is completely unnecessary (even detrimental) and I believed them...and I believe them even more today.

The advice they gave me was basically this:

If you start with the sharpest blade and stick to it you'll very quickly learn the proper techniques, blade angles, pressures, etc right from the very start all of which will transfer to most any blade. You will not have spent months (or even years) in ever repeating cycles of learning and unlearning techniques, angles, pressures, muscle memory, and fear when going from a milder blade to the next most aggressive blade over and over again. Go ahead with the sample packs to find which blades you like best but be sure to include and more importantly, use the sharpest blades. These are safety razors - nicks are extremely superficial and often stop bleeding on their own before you even finish shaving. Of course, nicks are a part of learning DE shaving, and DE shaving in general. When you do get nicked, you most likely would've been nicked with with any blade you happen to be using...you'll just feel it less with the sharper ones.

I believed them as a noobie and, 6 years experience later, I believe them even more today. Hope that helps someone a little bit! :D

19. Cyanshine

Cyanshine Member

Aw man, the thread links don't work anymore :/

20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Or synthetics/nylons.