the zulu gray thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Bjoerge Brathagen, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Hillbilly79

Hillbilly79 Well-Known Member

I am waiting for your evaluation of the mid range hone!

2. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Did me first razor with the Zulu Grey. I touched up my Dovo Bismarck. Used water and made a light slurry with my DMT. I have Dovo Master's that is similar to the Bismarck but it is stainless steel so used my normal finish to touch it up, Shapton glass 16k.

Shaved with the Bismarck today and the edge was smooth, I also get smooth edges from the Shapton glass 16k but they do feel different. I could not say which one is smoother. The edge from the Zulu does not feel as sharp as I get from the Shapton, but this was just my first attempt so its way to early to make a judgement. Then again this could all be in mind. More tests to come.

Kizurra, Karl G, twhite and 4 others like this.
  3. Bjoerge Brathagen

Bjoerge Brathagen Well-Known Member

what i found out i to take good time on the stone. i touched up a boker and with slurra diluted to water,and a lot of strokes on just water.did a total of 400 laps i think. initially i did 200 before testshave.after 200 more on just water the different was significally.

Kizurra, Karl G, twhite and 1 other person like this.
  4. Keithmax

Thanks I will give that a try.

5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Tick...tick...tick....

Nine weeks and counting.
    [​IMG]

6. Keithmax

Touched up a PRC Chimera and Dovo Bismarck 2 following your instructions... but I forgot the details and did about 200 laps. I just shaved with the PRC and much better than my first attempt. The edge was smooth and while not as sharp as finishing on a Shapton 16k it was sharp enough to get the job done.

Thank you for the tip.

7. Bjoerge Brathagen

i think one might experiment what work best for different steel types /hardness etc. you cold try the ZG after your shapton 16k. i use it after my shapton pro 12k or naniwa 12k.on my razors i dont feel the sharpness of the edge at all.

8. Keithmax

Thanks for another tip, I will give it a try. Lot's of different tests to do.

9. Keithmax

Shaved with the Dovo today and the edge was smooth and adequately sharp. Encouraging since this is on the third razor I honed on this stone.

10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I received an email from Michael of Zulu Grey stating my order is scheduled for shipment the end of next week. He has been incredibly and unexpectedly "slammed" with orders and has been working around the clock filling orders (vendors, please note this is what can happen when you slash prices 50%, particularly on high ticket items that rarely go on sale).

Looks like I'll be getting some new hones around my birthday!
    :eatdrink047:

Kizurra, 45auto, Karl G and 5 others like this.
  11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

My post above was posted end of February. THAT particular promised shipping date came & went without a word.
    I sent an email to Michael Cramer of Zulu on April 1, asking for an update on my order.
    His response on April 3:
    "I do of course sincerely apologise for the long delay, but am pleased to say that things are moving forward quite well now. And so I am planning on getting the remaining orders sorted out and shipped off in the new week." (April 9-15).
    Today is the 17th and I'm still awaiting notification. Perhaps tomorrow...

Yesterday was the 16th— exactly 4 months after placing my December order.
    I'm attempting to remain both patient and optimistic, but boy, this is challenging.

Demidog, Kizurra, Karl G and 4 others like this.
  12. Bjoerge Brathagen

Glad i didn't waited too long before i ordered. didn`t took longer than the estimated 20 days.But at the moment i am waiting for an old shoulder less Torrey. was shipped 13 of januar with e-bay`s global shipping program.still waiting. dosen´t seems like they are able to deliver.totally useless. with usps it takes 9 days.

13. Hillbilly79

Hillbilly79 Well-Known Member

It took 3 months to get mine. From what I've read, 2 to 4 months is becoming average. Hopefully it won't be much longer.

Kizurra, Karl G and Bjoerge Brathagen like this.
  14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

"Zulu Grey: Your Order Has Shipped" — Hi Kevin,
    Thanks again for all your patience.. this is to inform you that your parcel has been sent, the tracking code is below."

[​IMG]

15. Bjoerge Brathagen

Congrats:)It will be well worth the wait:)

Billyfergie, Kizurra and Karl G like this.
  16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I certainly imagine so.
    I'm hoping the delivery service from the province of Kwa Zulu-Natal, South Africa, is up to the task...
    SafariScreenSnapz026.jpg

17. Bjoerge Brathagen

maybe your ZG in in there some where:happy097:

Billyfergie, Kizurra and Karl G like this.
  18. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Waiting since DEC 11th. He responded to my recent inquiry MAR 27th saying he was working on it and would be including an additional small stone as a gift for the wait.
    Hey Mike,

So sorry for the late reply and the continued delays on your order - indeed it is not just your order that is overdue..
    We're having some issues getting in quality raw stock to process our extensive backlog at present, so while we are moving forward (slowly), there is indeed a very real delay in shipping out the remaining orders in a swift manner.

We are including a free smaller ZG hone with all remaining late orders, as something of compensation for enduring this longer than usual wait with us..

So thanks again for your patience - I hope we aren't wearing it thin - and please just know that we are getting there and that there will be some added value to your order when it arrives.

Billyfergie, Kizurra, twhite and 2 others like this.
  19. Keithmax

Kevin, good news I think I see towards the front near the top.

20. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I showed this to a customer from South Africa today and he just laughed.