the zulu gray thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Bjoerge Brathagen, Jan 3, 2017.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Nearly three weeks since the above notification.
    Postal updates with tracking is 'hit or miss' depending if the site is up or not.
    Last update was five days ago indicating "US (Attempted delivery" :signs002:
    Screen Shot.png

2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I punched in your number, and it stated there wasn't any authorized recipient to sign for it, and it is at your post office, waiting for you to pick it up.

3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

LOL.....thank you, USPS. No notice left. Usually they'll at least leave a notice on my door of an attempted delivery.
    Today was the first day (in five consecutive attempts) I could actually link up to the site for tracking info.

Guess I make the trek to the local PO & see what they say. :D

4. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

That happens to me when it's an international shipment with my home address, as they are signature required. I ship to my office to avoid this now. Good luck.

5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Thanks.
    Oh-The-Irony: so after waiting five months for this delivery, the two stones are finally arriving and, due to the current situation with hand/wrist ailment, I wont be able use them...yet. :angry032:

6. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Oh, you can use them! It'll help keep the papers from sliding off of your desk!

7. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Most of my chinese packages come to the door - in fact, all of them have. Two, however, haven't shown up, and the Post Office has no records of them, and nothing on the shelves.

Luckily, the total value of both is about $5.

8. Beadog

Beadog Well-Known Member

If I can plant, grow, and harvest a vegetable garden sooner than I can get a product shipped, I think I'll pass. I'm not in to instant gratification, but Geez! :angry019:

9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Aside from a couple of orders for custom-built guitars (18 month+ wait), this has probably my longest wait for any item. Certainly for one shaving-related....

10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Almost five months from the day of order, I now have in my possession the hones ordered from Zulu Grey.

Box has traveled a few thousand miles and has held up well...
    [​IMG]

Well-packaged....
    [​IMG]

Ten minutes of unwrapping later (mostly done single-handed—no easy chore!), here are the two hones along with the matching slurry stones...
    Both stones are very dense with a resounding 'ping' when tapped. The Zulu Grey (left) is anything but GREY— in fact the greenish hue and striped pattern reminds me of the greenish-hued ziricote wood.
    The Silkvein is unique as it has many mineral patterns running through it. Pretty wild. Hard to catch these when photographed dry, but when wet, the patterns really pop.

[​IMG] ziricote.jpg

Since I wont be using theses hones for a while (nice paperweights!), I see if I can take some glossy, wet photos to reveal the patterns.

Drygulch, Karl G, Billyfergie and 5 others like this.
  11. Bjoerge Brathagen

Bjoerge Brathagen Well-Known Member

congrats with the stones :) you will love the edges the gray make.not tried the silkvein.

Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  12. DaltonGang

Well, since you will be convalescing for a while, you can mail me you Zulu, and Silkvein stones. I will take plenty of picture and put them to good use. :D

Drygulch, Karl G, Billyfergie and 2 others like this.
  13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Hope you dont mind the five-month delivery time....:D:D:D

Drygulch, Karl G, Billyfergie and 2 others like this.
  14. DaltonGang

Naa, I don't mind. Just send the tracking number. I have some Cartridge razors I can mail to you, while you are healing. :scared003:

Keithmax, Drygulch, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Some new 'glamour' shots of wet South African stones. ;)

Since I can't use either of them yet, I can at least spray 'em down and photograph the color and textural patterns.
    Pretty cool looking...

Side by side: Notice the bright orange 'paint splatter' mark on the SilkVein. Zulu Grey Green on the right. Both the same length and width, but the ZG is slightly thicker than the SV.

[​IMG]

The SV pattern is more distinct in this shot. See close-up detail in photo below. Silky-smooth to the touch.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Compared to the detail shots here of the ZG:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The reverse side of the ZG, not as finished as the top aside.
    I thought the mineral intrusion below in the ZG was quite distinct until....
    [​IMG]

....I saw the rough, unfinished reverse side of the SV! :eek:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bottom line is: Looks are nice & all, but how do the stones perform?
    I won't know until I take some steel to the stones. That is something I'm looking forward to doing.

Hillbilly79, Drygulch, Karl G and 5 others like this.
  16. DaltonGang

Cheesecake shots. Those are some seriously beautiful looking stones. If those were mine, I would seriously consider finishing the rough sides too, just because the patterns look so nice.

17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I am considering this. But these are such HARD stones (Arkie hard?).
    If I ever do decide to go this route, I'll need to pick up some SIC powder for the job.
    [​IMG]

Keithmax, Drygulch, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  18. Bjoerge Brathagen

Bjoerge Brathagen Well-Known Member

i did lap the underside of mine.used the cheap chinese diamonplates. was pretty easy:)

Keithmax, Drygulch, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  19. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I got frustrated yesterday and emailed Michael basically telling him to ship the stone or cancel my order. I've been waiting since Dec 11 and don't really care one way or another. lets see what his response is.

20. DaltonGang

Sometimes you have to do just that. Plenty of other rocks to play with, on this planet.