the zulu gray thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Bjoerge Brathagen, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I'm worried the re-launch of Wade & Butcher with the Iron Tusk Razor is going to have similar issues, since it is the same company.

2. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

From watching the thread for a bit, it seems like the biggest problem with the stones is that the supplier of the stones themselves may have overestimated their quality per ton. If that's the case, another product, such as a razor, shouldn't be the same issue. It's still coming from SA.

Bjoerge Brathagen likes this.
  3. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Ok this was fun

I got a razor back in for honing a Ralf Aust

in the box he sent was the original Honing letter I send home after honing
    [​IMG]

I smiled as I re-marked and re-dated it

Moral of the story, Yes the Zulu Grey Stones work well with a Ralf Aust Razor :)

13 months to the day, and the edge wasn't bad at all :p

Thought you guys would get a good giggle out of it too

4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I think that is progressing at the same speed as Gillette releasing a new Tech through AoS stores.

5. wadeandbutcher

wadeandbutcher New Member

Hi Guys,

Mike here (ZuluGrey/Wade&Butcher). I just wanted to join the thread - hat in hand - to directly offer my sincere apologies for the admittedly long (wildly long) delays in shipping out some hone orders (not all but a good few). Some of you guys are understandably quite frustrated with the matter, as indeed I am let me assure you.. But in general all our customers have been so kind in your patience and understanding (through all the years of selling ZG hones), it's really amazing what great customers we've had since starting this hone company. So again a massive Thank You for your support - it means everything to me.

As I've told some of you via email, my Mom actually passed away in hospital a short while ago - totally out of nowhere - she was only 64 years old and healthy. So that has impacted our life as it was such a devastating shock. But of course the day to day work needs to continue and so as I've said to a few of you your orders will be going out tomorrow actually - so those tracking codes will be with you soon. I plan to get the remaining few backlogged orders out in the next 2 weeks.

As Bookworm correctly states a few posts up - the thing with running a hone company (or any company that deals in a 100% 'natural' product) is that you are constantly at the mercy of what the Earth produces. The finished product is in many ways completely out of your control - and this is the very issue I've had recently with raw stock coming from the quarry that just wasn't worthy of selling to be honest. So we've had to suffer the delays in getting stock bit by bit that was of acceptable quality to bear the Zulu Grey label.

I want to also take some time to assure those who may be interested, that the revival of Wade & Butcher in no way whatsoever will resemble the structure of the Zulu Grey hone business. The products are vastly different: one is hit or miss from what the Earth has made, the other is 100% controlled and dictated by my very own hands. I can't express how excited I am by this simple difference. To be able to deal in goods that are entirely in my control - well, it will just be night and day compared to the running of Zulu Grey. Yes the products will still be shipped from South Africa - but our razors will be going through expedited DHL couriers, instead of our national postal system (which itself isn't bad at all, do you know we've never lost a parcel, and it generally takes only 10 days to reach most countries). DHL will likely be 3 days max..

But, I'm so frustrated frankly by the way the hone business is operating currently, that I'm actually going to dynamically change the way we sell our hones. Currently we take 'orders' for the size/s a customer wants. But this leads to these long waiting periods, and the frustration of inconsistent stock. So, we're actually going to change to an 'available stock' system on all products on the site, so what you see as available on the site is an actual prepared hone, that is packaged and ready to go. I know, what a revolution right :) Some of us are a bit slow with these things.. :)

So, that is how I will solve this Zulu Grey issue that we have. It will mean less genuinely available products at any given time, but will also hopefully restore complete trust and customer satisfaction by removing these crazy long waiting periods.

Again, just a huge Thank You for all the support, both in Zulu Grey and Wade & Butcher.
    It all means absolutely nothing without delighted customers - so please know that this is always the driving tenet.

Sincerely,
    - Mike

6. Keithmax

Hi Mike. Glad to see you joined 'TSD" and a big thank you for explaining things. I have a Zulu Grey and I am very happy with it.

What is going on with your revival of the Wade and Butcher brand? I am very curious how you are progressing and what your plans are for bringing the name back.

On a sperate note DHL is terrible in Korea so please keep the postal service as an option for when you sell the razors.

mrchick, twhite and Billyfergie like this.
  7. wadeandbutcher

wadeandbutcher New Member

Hey Keith.

Thanks indeed. Well, firstly what recommendations can you make for a reliable Intl. courier for your neck of the woods? I am of course open to suggestions and will like to include limited shipping options.. but I am bundling all shipping costs into the price of our razors to alleviate admin for our customers at checkout..

What is going on with the W&B revival? Well, I've given some info here and there on other forums (well mostly SRP - my home forum), but also on our official Facebook page. But let me briefly bullet-point some things here:
    • Aiming at launching the new site and unveiling our first new 'inaugural' straight razor model, The Irontusk Razor, by around the end of the year.
    • Will likely start accepting pre-orders of this razor model either at the same time or early in the new year.
    • The Irontusk is a quintessential 8/8 W&B razor (with a custom, lined wooden display case), inspired by the greatest flourishes from razors of our brands' Victorian heyday, but crafted with new materials and with a fit and finish to rival/exceed the very best in the world.
    • Following the Irontusk launch, we will begin introducing 'Heritage' models, likely starting with the reissued 'For Barbers Use' (the later design), but then growing to include other classics like the Diamond Edge, Anchor, Double Swaged etc.
    • We will also begin adding additional products to our catalogue. Items in the works are: Crvcible (a machined steel scuttle and lather bowl), Civilsteel (a line of razors in classic embossed coffins, that are more affordable but still rather premium), and a custom designed loom strop in various sizes..
    • The ultimate idea is to expand W&B into an upper-tier producer of fine handcrafted wet-shaving and broader men's lifestyle goods. But we'll start with the 'simple' goal of crafting the finest straight razors in the world :) and building from there.

Thanks,
    - Mike

8. Keithmax

Very exciting.

The best way to ship to Korea is via the postal system. The postal system here is excellent.

9. Bjoerge Brathagen

Bjoerge Brathagen Well-Known Member

hi.first i will express my condolences for your loss. second,i was one of them that did not had to wait very long for my stone,and i must say that the zulu gray is a very good finisher and touch up hone.the edges i get is very sharp and gentle to the skin.i also get good results with every type of steel.if i had to buy a zulu gray again i would gladly waited several month for a good one.it´s that good in my opinion.
    thanks for a superbe rock:)

10. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Mine finally shipped today! Thank you Mike.

mrchick, twhite and Bjoerge Brathagen like this.
  11. Hillbilly79

Hillbilly79 Well-Known Member

I
    Can't wait to see your evaluation of the ZG. The layering of your stone is 90* from mine.
    2017-05-31 16.36.28.jpg

12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I'm counting the days as well.........<sigh> :(

Bjoerge Brathagen and mrchick like this.
  13. Bookworm

try to figure out how to make a jig to hold the blade, so you can simply pull a handle back and forth?

14. Hillbilly79

It could be done, but the rolling x would be tricky. ;)

15. Bookworm

I was thinking more of ones that were removed from the scales, where you run the entire razor up and down the long direction of the hone, keeping the blade touching the whole way - rather than the X pattern.

Mind you, I think the X pattern could be done - maybe use the mechanism from a Rolls Razor? :) (think of a pantograph, or at least using a pattern to run the grip through)

16. Hillbilly79

Maybe this...
    2017-05-31 18.29.57.jpg
    If we could just get Naniwa to make a set stones.

17. Bookworm

I've been trying to get one of those for decades. They've either been in horrible shape, or people wanted thousands of dollars for them.

18. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

The Zulu grey finally arrived. About a week shy of 6 months from the order date of 12/11/16. It's pretty nice all told. I'll get a pic up later

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

19. Bjoerge Brathagen

Bjoerge Brathagen Well-Known Member

congrats:)

20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Have at it! I have to experience this stone vicariously through you guys! :)