There is just something about the Gillette Slim :)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

As much as I love my OC razors I do from time to time feel like using something different and this morning it was my Gillette Slim from 1967.

Set to 9 this razor is just SO very efficient and I have to keep reminding myself to use it more often it really is THAT good. The result after a two pass shave (WTG and ATG) was as smooth as any aggressive OC razor and the benefit may actually be that I feel I can go 'faster' with this razor as compared to my OCs.

So here's to the wonderful Gillette Slim - I wish everyone could try/own one :)

(Other stuff used this morning was):
    - GSB blade,
    - Arko stick,
    - SOC Boar brush,
    - Stirling Coniferous A/S splash,
    - Nivea Sensitive Skin ASB)

[​IMG]

Ryan B, ObiDon, Tattoobob and 5 others like this.
  2. Lutebro

Lutebro Well-Known Member

Love the slim but sadly it didn't earn a permanent spot in my very small/minimal den. It is a wonderful machine though, safe and effective!

RaZorBurn123 and PatrickA51 like this.
  3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Had a faaa-aantastic shave with my '67 Slim this morning.
    It's nice to have a few razors to rotate so that when you come 'back' to an old favorite you remember just why you kept it around :)

4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I love my Slim, too.

5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

When all else fails I go back to my Number 1 which is the Slim.

dscaver, RaZorBurn123 and Darkbulb like this.
  6. Tattoobob

Tattoobob Well-Known Member

I have 64 slim, going to start using it in a couple weeks, hope it works as good for me as it does for you. Enjoy your shave.

Darkbulb and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  7. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

I had one and certainly don't think it's worth the going price but I got it for a decent price from a board member. The regular Super Speed is a much better value. All the Slim does is adjust the guard bar. The blade still sits at exactly the same place- no change in blade angle, head profile or exposure at all, so it's not really like having multiple razors in one.

8. richard b

richard b New Member

wish I had one

9. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I really like my birth year Slim. It's a razor you can't go wrong with. Happy Shaving!

10. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

I have many vintage Gillettes from the 1920's thru the 60's, and a 60's model Schick Krona, they all earned the right to stay in my den ( many are family heritage razors) but not a single modern razor has.

ObiDon and LookingGlass like this.
  11. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

I have been fortunate to be able to pick up both the short and long handle version of this razor. Great shaves from a nice old vintage Gillette. And, as Mouser said, no modern razors here. Just the old Gillettes in my den.;)

ObiDon likes this.
  12. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

My '66 Slim is one of my favorites.

13. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Wait, what, there are long and short handled versions of the Slim?

14. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I know there are short and long handled Super Adjustables, but never heard of that on a slim.

15. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Just used mine for the second time last night. I used a "Red" this time and set it on 5 and wow, what an awesome shave.

dscaver and Bobcat like this.
  16. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

Guys...my mistake. I relooked the picture...though it was an adjustable at first. Sorry for any inconvenience. :o

17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Overall, the Slim is on the milder side of DE razors—however there is a distinct difference in the feel of this razor as one compares the lowest setting to the highest. My preference was to use it 'wide open'—which on my face felt more efficient than at the lower settings. The adjustability of this razor doesn't transform the Slim into a completely new razor, but it does provide the user a decent level of control over the aggressiveness.
    [​IMG]

ObiDon likes this.
  18. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I have a '65 Slim (along with my '58 Executive and '75 Black Beauty) and I must agree that it provides a really comfortable shave. I haven't tried it "wide open" like Holy, but maybe it's something I'll have to try. Just have to suck it up and be brave!

19. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Our beloved BaconLord likes his aggressive razors and Straights so that might explain why it is mild to him. I however love this razor, Not saying you don't/didn't Kevin . There is something about vintage items, whether is it a Razor, Radio, anything . This is a razor my Grandfather could have used, but unfortunately I have not heirloom razors. It is just built really well. It is a shame that there are not to many brass made razors made anymore.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
    ObiDon likes this.
  20. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

BaconLord....I giggled... :D