Thick Handle Gillette

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by freemartin, Feb 5, 2011.

1. freemartin

freemartin Afficianado of "cans"

It's been a while since I've been here. Thought I'd stop by and show off my score today.

Thick Handle Gillette three piece. In it's case. Mint condition.

Attached Files:

2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Very nice!

I lived in Greeley for awhile. I went to Monfort Elementary and Brentwood Middle School.

My Sister and Grandpa still live there.

What a small world!

3. freemartin

Strange, I grew up in the Monfort Elementary area, Went to church schools.

4. Jaymo

Jaymo Active Member

I have a few Gillette Techs. 3 fat handles, 1 ball end, 2 or 3 travel, and one plastic handle. Haven't used a Tech in a while. Been using a Merkur slant lately.
    That said, I do like the Tech a lot. I know there are guys who don't, but I'm not one of them. I just have so many razors and so little face.

BTW, nice Tech. They are good razors. They sure made them long enough. Wish they still did.

5. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

nice one, but the razor looks not gold plated like a Gold Tech :confused:

6. Oldguy

Oldguy Member

That was my thought as well. On my monitor it looks to be silver colored or nickel.

Len

7. freemartin

It is silver...so is it in the wrong case?

8. mycarver

mycarver New Member

Here is mine which would look great in your case! Mine is in the original cardboard box. I'm sure liking that case though! Hint, hint,,,,,
    But if memory serves me correctly ( haven't dug through 'em all yet) is I do have one somewhere in a case.

Man, I've got to get organized some day.

Attached Files:

9. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

Yes. Go find a Gold Tech and you'll have the right case for it.

10. mycarver

mycarver New Member

The easiest solution of course is to just send me the case. I'm willing to help you out any way I can. I'd hate to see you burdened with the wong case.

11. Monty Smith

Monty Smith Member

Question

I have a Tech that looks exactly like the one in the OP's photo here, except that the end of mine is open and missing (I assume) a ball end. As it belonged to my father, and possibly even my grandfather, I would love to get a replacement end and put the razor into my rotation. However, I have searched and searched on eBay and cannot find one that looks like mine. All the ones with this kind of handle design (like the one pictured in this thread) have closed ends, and all the ones with ball ends have different handle designs. (When I say "designs" I'm talking about the look of the handles, not the workings of them.)

Can anyone here tell me where I might find a ball end to replace it? Any help would be much appreciated.

12. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

As someone quite knowledgeable about Gillettes, I can say I've never seen or heard of a ball-end Fat Handle Tech (you did say the handle looks exactly like the one in this thread?). But Gillette was known for doing strange and weird things with a few razors so I guess anything is possible. Please post a clear picture or 2 so we can see what's going on. Since you say it's open, it sounds like to me that someone has sawed off the end.

13. Oldguy

Oldguy Member

If it's a Tech then the end can't be replaced. The Ball end Techs have solid handles. Are you sure it's a Tech? If it is a Tech and the end of the handle is cut off, as Jody mentioned, maybe somebody wanted to extend the handle. Or the handle doesn't belong with that razor head. And yes we need photos.

Len

14. IAmTheJody

And Len's more knowledgeable than I so now I definitely think if it's the same handle as pictured in this thread, someone's sawed off the end.

Good to see you too, Len! ::git

15. AnB_Daddy

AnB_Daddy Active Member

Does it open? It looks like it could be a "Psycho"

16. Oldguy

Oldguy Member

That would explain the open end. In that case then the handle would be permanently attached to the blade guard.

Len

17. IAmTheJody

Ahh yeah, I'd forgotten about the Psycho but +1 as Len said unless it's a modified or broken Psycho...

18. Monty Smith

Monty Smith Member

Photos

Whoever mentioned the head being attached to the handle is correct. It doesn't screw off like my closed-end tech. Here are the pics:

Top:
    [​IMG]

Underneath:
    [​IMG]

Full view:
    [​IMG]

Looking into the open end:
    [​IMG]

19. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I have never seen the inside of the "Psycho" Gillette, so I cannot say if it is or if it is not. However, I do know that they go for big bux on the bay. If it is a Psycho I hope you can find a key for it!

20. IAmTheJody

Bingo! It is a Gillette Tech "Psycho". These were used in prisons and mental wards and required a key that goes inside the handle to unlock the head cap so that it could be removed to change the blade.

It's practically impossible to find an original Gillette-made key but there is a guy who makes home-made keys for them. I don't recall who he is or how to contact him though...

Here's mine from when I listed it on eBay last week (was surprised no one bought it since as Jeff said, they tend to sell and sell for big bucks). Mine is a British Gillette Tech "Psycho" made in 1960 (F-1 date code).

[​IMG][​IMG]