Thinking about getting a fatip?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Rodriguez, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Rodriguez

Rodriguez New Member

Hi,

I'm going to be traveling in march and I wanted to get a second razor to bring with me while I keep my usual one at home.....my usual razor is the Merkur Progress Adjustable.......I set it to about 4 or maybe more (I think...hard to tell because the calibration of the setting is off) for most of my face, but I think about 2.5 for my chin which is more prone to cuts. It shaves really well and FAST. I had other merkurs that were milder but it took me FOREVER to shave using them so I gave them to my brother....so mild razors generally take me way too long, I have a lot of facial hair.

So I need something that will be equally fast b/c I will be sharing a bathroom w/ my sister who is incredibly impatient....however, I don't have the $70-80 to spend on another progress....originally I was looking at an iKon razor but I noticed it was no longer available, and my $$ supply dwindled so now about $40 is my price point....

So I came across http://www.italianbarber.com/products/fatip-retro-double-edge-safety-razor-gold-effect this FaTip razor which looks really cool, is open comb which I like and is in my price point....people say it is quite aggressive, but I don't really know how it compares in relation to what I am used to........is it really that aggressive? It says it's made of brass but if it does have gold will it flake or something? Are there any such faults that I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance!

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

FaTip is popular due to both it's low price and its aggressive performance.
    I had one for a while and managed some very good shaves. It does have a tendency to 'bite' the user— one of the main reasons I sold it— and they have had some quality control issues in the past.

Rodriguez likes this.
  3. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

The new ones aren't that aggressive. The wooden handles are great, in my opinion.
    I have not heard many good things about the gold plating, but I can't tell you from experience. Both my Fatips are chrome plated.

Edit: just clicked your link. I did not like that handle. Too thin for me.

Rodriguez likes this.
  4. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I had a gold plated one for quite some time, and never had any issues. It is a great razor, and capable of smooth, comfortable shaves, but if you are going to be swapping back and forth between razors, you will need to give it a fair amount of respect until you get the angle down. It has a fairly steep bow to the top cap, and to run a shallower angle, the handle might be pointed at the floor a bit more than you are used to.

It is a great razor in general, and the price can't be beat for being all brass. Not sure I like that particular handle, but that's just a preference thing.

Rodriguez likes this.
  5. Nate.H01

Nate.H01 Member

I have the gunmetal grande and I love it. Although it can be a bit much for daily use, I'd say it's a great addition to any collection.

Rodriguez and barbersurgeon like this.
  6. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Based on how you use your Progress, I think a Fatip would work well for you. I prefer the Grande. Lighter than the Progress, but similar size.

Rodriguez likes this.
  7. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I love this new style:

[​IMG]

I have the walnut wood handle, but I am think about adding the zebrano to my collection as well.

Rodriguez and PickledNorthern like this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

I picked up a previously owned FaTip Piccolo from the bay. The handle is a bit short for my big hands. With a little experimental swapping I found the cap and handle from a Muhle R89 Grande works well with the FaTip OC base. Not as aggressive or bitey as original, but still a great shave. Keep in mind my preference is for aggressive, I like a Gillette Fat Boy at 9.

Rodriguez likes this.
  9. Rodriguez

Rodriguez New Member

thanks everyone.....buying a new razor is always an experiment but I think I will go ahead and try out a FaTip.

wristwatchb, PickledNorthern and RyX like this.
  10. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

I need to dig out my Fatip Grande Gunmetal. I have the original type handle. I do have to check blade alignment, but not much adjustment usually.

Nice heft and get good clean shaves in two passes. It's a bit much while I'm wearing a beard, so has been out of the rotation. After three days, I'm looking for something milder in the rotation. Check out the "ride the cap" thread.

Screwtape and PickledNorthern like this.
  11. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Fatip Grande is the only DE three piece that I own. Great razors!

RyX and wristwatchb like this.
  12. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I'm tempted to get one also. Looks like a good one to have.

13. McGrande

McGrande Well-Known Member

I have a Fatip Grande with the gunmetal finish. Terrific, efficient shaver. Pretty much use it every day since last Spring. However, the gunmetal finish (on mine anyway) wore off pretty quickly. Have never use anything but warm water to rinse it. I kind of like it's rugged good looks!

fatip1.jpg
    fatip2.jpg

wristwatchb and PickledNorthern like this.
  14. Rodriguez

Rodriguez New Member

Hmmm, is the gold one all brass or does it have some kind of finish that could wear off as well?

15. McGrande

McGrande Well-Known Member

They are all brass regardless of finish. I've not heard any complaints regarding the gold or chrome plating. The gunmetal finish seemed more like a paint or ink finish.

Nate.H01 likes this.
  16. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

The plating on all is known to wear off, showing the brass underneath. Rumour is that they improved the plating quality in the last year, and that the chrome plated one is best ... but no other personal experience than with my own Fatips.

17. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

20160713_074314_resized.jpg I used mine today.

18. Nate.H01

Nate.H01 Member

My gunmetal fatip started to lose the plating really quickly. I think the paint/ink was still wet when I got it lol.