Thinning the DE Herd...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by HolyRollah, Jul 20, 2013.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Okay, now that I recently enjoyed the wonderful week-long experience of using a slant-bar razor for the first time (Thanks again, Battle Munky, for the loan!), I decided to pick up one myself.
    Since I've already too many razors (that is, according to my wife), I've begun unloading my assortment of 'vintage' Gillette razors. Gone are my Super Speed Red Tip, SS Flair Tip, SS Slim Adjustable, and soon, my FatBoy (unless, of course, my son wishes to keep it).

I may unload one or two more to make room for the incoming new razor...

[​IMG]

So my future rotation will include this new 39c slant, along with the 38c Barber pole, my vintage fat handle Tech, New Bar Handle, Goodwill Longcomb & Aristocrat—although I'm hedging on the aristocrat.

I think I'm getting the RAD down to a semi-rational level....;)

alpla444 likes this.
  2. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

Nice...I want to try out the 39c Sledgehammer at some point as well. I really enjoy the 38c Barber pole, probably my favorite! Also, let me know if you do want to offload the Fatboy...

3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Chris, the slant I used was the 37C, which has the same head as the 39c, but smaller handle. I too enjoy the 38c, and so I figured for a slant, the big Sledgehammer made perfect sense. For day-to-day, I'd use the 38c—and save the slant for those 'heavier' beard days or those day in which I want a REALLY close BBS in a short amount of time. Two passes all I need with the slant.

Merkur 38c barber pole, Two Slant Bars: 39c & 37C
    [​IMG]

I'll check with my son on the status of the Fat Boy.

alpla444 likes this.
  4. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

Thanks for the pic...Yeah, tough choice. I already have the big barber pole 38c, not sure if the bulldog 37c or sledge 39c would be better for the slant. The shorter handles do tend to give a little better control, but love the heft of that big handle!