Thoughts on Saponificio Varesino soaps?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Fly2High, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

I am thinking of purchasing some Saponificio Varesino soaps after trying Dolomiti.

Curious on others experiences and opinion of their scents? Anything comparable to them in say Stirling or artisan lines

Thanks

2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I've tried the LE for another forum, and I thought the soap base was very good quality, slick, didn't dry me out at all. I don't remember what razor, but I face lathered it on a synthetic. The scent was herbal and kinda intense, but for what you're asking, my opinion on scent would be irrelevant, scent is not available anymore. Might be worth a try for you, it's one of the better Italian soaps I've tried.

3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Love them. I'm not a fan of soaps over $20 but SV is an exception.

Ksblazer, DesertTime and Bama Samurai like this.
  4. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Razorburn123,
    Which ones did you try?

I am interested particularly on the Manna di Sicilia, Dolomiti and 70th Anniversary.

The one sample of Dolomiti was excellent to me but it has been hard to find anyone using the soap for further comment. Also was wondering how well it lasts since, I believe, it is triple milled and they have all new Beta 4.x bases.

5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I had the Colonia. It was a good soap, but not a great soap, so...traded.

Yehuda D likes this.
  6. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

I have 70th and Dolomiti and I think they are excellent soaps and aftershaves. I bought them after trying samples and will buy more of other scents.

ob1page likes this.
  7. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

From what I have been reading they have a new base. I wonder if Colonia is older and is from before the Base 4.X which is recent

8. targa88

targa88 Well-Known Member

I have used SV Dolomiti for a couple of years (IIRC) in my rotation.
    Harder milled soap, the dolomiti silt is suppose to help the skin feel. Long tradition of making soaps (70 yrs).
    Consistent quality. Scents are at the mid=weaker end of the spectrum.
    It was version 4.0 (beta base).
    Some of the newer soaps are version 4.3.
    In conclusion - I enjoy using it ( good lather and face feel).
    Definitely in the category of premium priced soaps

9. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

I grabbed a puck of the dark dolomite ver4. I really like it. A very good soap. Looking forward to grabbing a few more.

10. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

They are definitely top tier. They just have a few scents, however.

11. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

So does Martin de Candre, Castle Forbes to name a couple.

Sometimes a few is enough

LevelupShaves and Ksblazer like this.
  12. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

Has anyone the new Beta 4.3? They added 'Dryopteris filix-mas Root Extract' which when I search see described as poison.

13. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

SV makes great soaps with some interesting scents. I personally cant tell a difference between the various versions. Favorite scents are Cosmo and Felce Aromatica.

Ksblazer likes this.
  14. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

SW420,
    Have your tried Mann di Sicilia and 70th Anniversary? Thoughts? These are ones I want to try next.

15. nav

nav Well-Known Member

Out of the three I have, I would rank the scents as follows:

-black dolomiti
    -manna
    -felce

Performance of all three is mind blowing! I love SV soaps and look forward to getting the remaining scents once the budget allows.

Ksblazer and ob1page like this.
  16. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

I have the Arctic Tundra soap and love it. The scent is heavenly; woody , citrus, amber and leather. Performance is the best. If you forced my hand today to only use one soap forever this would be it.

Ksblazer and Yehuda D like this.
  17. BrewCrew

BrewCrew Member

100% agree with this. I have over 30 soaps, and the 4.2 Arctic Tundra is by far the best soap I have. The smell is amazing, and the performance absolutley stands above all others. The price mght seem high, but these are very hard pucks that should last a long time. The slickness and post shave is unreal. I wish I could have got some of the anniversary soap before it sold out.

Side note - when I got this soap, it took me 4 or 5 tries to dial the water in correctly. I honestly thought that I might have wasted a good chunk of cash. It ended up being a little more thirsty than I imagined, but when I finally got it right, it shocked me at how well it performed.

Buy with confidence.

ob1page likes this.
  18. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I have the Dolomiti. Good stuff, IMO.

Ksblazer likes this.
  19. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

I have the Colonia, Dolomiti, and Felce Aromatica. I like all. Very good scents and lather. A little pricy to me but well worth the money. Top quality Italian triple milled soaps.

Ksblazer likes this.
  20. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Is the only 4.3 the limited edition Felice Aromatica?

On another forum they were talking about the differences between 4.0, 4.1,4.2 as if everything came in each. Even SV site seems to show certain scents only in certain Beta versions