Three Den Essential Soaps

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by fishcrow, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

- Mike's Natural
    - Kell's Original
    - Van Der Hagen Deluxe

I would also list Prairie Creations, my all-time favorite soap, but its status seems rather uncertain at present. Hopefully Krissy will be restored to good health and be able to continue making soap.

Last week? So she decided to stick with the soapmaking biz awhile longer, or is she planning to exit once she finds another job? That would be a loss. Regardless, she needs to do what is best for her.

Artisan soapmakers and cottage-industry online wetshaving stores are not like larger companies. Typically having a single owner/employee, they are only an illness, financial dilemma, time consuming obligation, loss of interest, etc. away closing shop. That is why it pays to try out different soaps and blades. If one becomes unavailable, there are others that worked well to fall back on. Fortunately, it seems that most of the online wetshaving vendors are still with us.

Whether their futures include soapmaking or not, I wish both Mama Bear and Krissy all the best. Even if they never make another puck of soap, they have already contributed a great deal to the current wetshaving revival.

2. Indiexsunrise

Indiexsunrise Well-Known Member

I haven't tried MWF yet but its definitely on my list. Right now my 3 would be in no order
    1. VDH deluxe
    2. TSD bourbon Vanilla cream
    3. Arko

3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    1. VdH Glycerin
    2. See #1
    3. See #2

I think it would be safe to say I am cream using kind of guy.;) I just keep the VdH around for the rare shave in the shower or for the occasional superlather.:D I keep telling myself I want MWF but I know deep down that I just want the cool looking container it comes in...

4. burpsan

burpsan Well-Known Member

In no particular order ...

Tie between Gold Dachs Spezial and Institute Karite (weekends mainly)
    MWF
    VDH Deluxe

Truth is that any of these are rotated in and out regularly. MWF lately due to it being new. VDH Deluxe due to it being a mainstay in my cabinet for years and years. Been using Gold Dachs a little more than Insititute Karite lately, but it will inevitably ebb back and forth over time (absolutely love both for different reasons).

5. emmijack

emmijack Well-Known Member

!. MWF
    2. Cella
    3. Palmolive stick

Creams would have to be...
    1. body shop Maca root shave cream
    2 C O Bigelow
    3. Palmolive cream

6. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

once word got out that she was about the pull the plug she was flooded with orders and she is going to continue making soap a while longer. Although that is probably just delaying the inevitable. It is a loss any time we lose an Artisan.

7. dreadpirate

dreadpirate Active Member

Speick
    Tabac
    Valobra / Ogallala (tie)

8. Uncle Brian

Uncle Brian Active Member

Arko, Tweex or Derby .... one of those Turkish funny smelling ones.
    Palmolive stick is nice.
    Dr Dittmar soap has mild smell lathers like hell.

9. emmijack

emmijack Well-Known Member

Yes the ceramic container is very cool, I've been thinking about getting some more soap With the container instead of just a puck like I did last time, but you have to try MWF, if for no other reason than to say you've tried it, it's fantastic stuff!!!

burpsan and PLANofMAN like this.
  10. jdjones

jdjones New Member

Cella
    Arko
    Tabac

11. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

MWF
    Speick
    Any Klar's Soap.

I'm starting to go on a German binge for things for some reason - perhaps to get in the mood for this September. I'm gonna load up over there baby!

12. Conrad1959

Conrad1959 Well-Known Member

1. TSD Lemon Cedarwood
    2. Cella
    3. RazorRock XXX

13. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Vintage Williams
    Vintage Colgate
    Vintage Old Spice

Straight Arrow and 5Savages like this.
  14. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

Tom, I have all three but haven't tried the vintage Williams yet. Will try it soon but I think the Colgate and OS will be tough to top.

15. HoosierTrooper

I love em all, but Williams, especially from the Glastonbury and Cranford plants are the best.

16. newb

newb Resident Newb

Better than OS ? I find the OS really awesome. I have some older Colgate but it's not that old it's bar coded. I must need a much older version ? cause I don't like it. But thanks Tom, now I feel a need to search out some vintage Williams....... Great now a new soap quest begins.

17. HoosierTrooper

Yes, I like the lather from vintage Williams better than Old Spice, and I'm a big fan of Old Spice. I also think the older version of Colgate, it's labelled Cup Soap on the box, lathers better than Old Spice. What you have is Colgate Mug Soap, which was the later version. I like it a lot but the Cup soap is better.

18. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

How did I miss this the first time around?

My top three are:

1. Colgate.
    2. Soap from Sara S.
    3. Palmolive Stick.

Sara-s likes this.
  19. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Wow, Mike, I am honored to make the list!

20. jmsodpc

jmsodpc Well-Known Member

i like the klar kabinett performance too

PanChango likes this.